Page 29 of 420 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    I hope streaming isn't the future. There needs to be a preservation of the magic of going to cinema, more so than ever after this terrible pandemic.
    A big reason people stopped going to cinemas is due to how shitty other people can be. People talking loudly, not turning off their phones, not respecting reserve seating, I saw a guy vape in a theater. So yea, I don't need the "magic".

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    A big reason people stopped going to cinemas is due to how shitty other people can be. People talking loudly, not turning off their phones, not respecting reserve seating, I saw a guy vape in a theater. So yea, I don't need the "magic".
    Plus there is some danger in theaters having nuts trying to shoot up the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I doubt there is more danger of that in theaters than any other place crowds gather. It's the US and we believe access to automatic weapons are more important than peoples lives because men 250 years ago thought there should be local militias armed with muskets.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Schools are dangerous in that regard than theaters.

Retired

I think that movies as a theatrical experience were already on the way out. People were going to the cinema still, but they were in their own bubble and the rest of the audience was more of an irritant. People are becoming much more self-isolated and want to do what they want to do without consideration for others. So if they could still have all the spectacle without the humanity--they'd go for it. If you want to have a communal experience--you'll probably do it like Twitch.

If you want a real theatrical experience, you should be going to live theatre. Once we can all be close together again--I think the live experience should come back.

But if we can watch movies with some sort of helmet, that gives us a virtual experience, people will pay to have that technology in their home.

Astonishing Member

In most big cities there were way too many cinemas seats for the general population to support--there was bound to be some contraction at some point. (I know the problem is the opposite in rural areas with no theaters in miles)

I dunno, I feel like there was movement towards the "upscale" movie type theaters and chains anyway. If you're going to spend $30 on a date night, may as well make it $50 and have comfy seats, nice sound, some food, etc. I think that market will still be there.

It's just a matter if studios can make as much money on big blockbusters via streaming. There's no middle man, but it opens up other problems such as making things easier to pirate that they will have to work through.

Box office this week--

Croods 2 has the best post virus numbers in america (but small over overseas markets and past years)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weeken...?ref_=bo_hm_rw

Croods 2 top $600m ww. Expected to break $50M in china.

Monster hunter will edit scene so it can return to china. Made $2.65m in five countries minus china who yanked it. That hurt it's box office but helped croods 2.

Demon slayer movie closing in on spirited away the highest grossing film in japan history! It's a blockbuster during a virus! It has been confirmed for american big screen release next year.

In Japan, Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train is estimated to have added about $6M during the FSS session. That would bring the local total to 28.7B yen ($276M) and leave 2.1B yen between the cultural phenomenon and Japan’s highest-grossing film ever, Spirited Away (30.8B yen), which it should catch before month’s end. Last weekend, it sailed past Titanic to take the No. 2 spot on Japan’s all-time charts. It is already the No. 1 animated title of 2020 worldwide, and internationally, and remains at Nos. 5 and 3 in the overall worldwide and international rankings for the year — based on the Japan cume alone.
    Demon Slayer a few weekends ago became IMAX’s biggest movie ever in Japan and has now reached a cume of $18M in the market (adding $655K this weekend for a mere 20% drop). The Toho/Aniplex/Ufotable juggernaut has a total $19.3M in IMAX when including Taiwan and Hong Kong (the latter market’s cinemas were closed again last week amid a coronavirus surge).
    Stand by me Doreamon 2 doing well overseas also.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/monster...ce-1234651166/

Also japan morbius trailer confirms japan box office is doing great and they will get the movie on the big-screen next year!

All doom and gloom in america but some countries their box office is doing great.

Last edited by Gaastra; 12-06-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Surely that's just living in the United States in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Box office this week--

Croods 2 has the best post virus numbers in america (but small over overseas markets and past years)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weeken...?ref_=bo_hm_rw

Croods 2 top $600m ww. Expected to break $50M in china.

Monster hunter will edit scene so it can return to china. Made $2.65m in five countries minus china who yanked it. That hurt it's box office but helped croods 2.

Demon slayer movie closing in on spirited away the highest grossing film in japan history! It's a blockbuster during a virus! It has been confirmed for american big screen release next year.

Stand by me Doreamon 2 doing well overseas also.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/monster...ce-1234651166/

Also japan morbius trailer confirms japan box office is doing great and they will get the movie on the big-screen next year!

All doom and gloom in america but some countries their box office is doing great.

Croods 2 has made $60 million worldwide, not $600 million.

Even if you meant total box office at the end of its run, I don't see how Croods 2 can get that high without the domestic market given that the first only made $400 million overseas.

Yeah that was a mess up. Didn't mean to type the last 0.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think that movies as a theatrical experience were already on the way out. People were going to the cinema still, but they were in their own bubble and the rest of the audience was more of an irritant. People are becoming much more self-isolated and want to do what they want to do without consideration for others. So if they could still have all the spectacle without the humanity--they'd go for it. If you want to have a communal experience--you'll probably do it like Twitch.

If you want a real theatrical experience, you should be going to live theatre. Once we can all be close together again--I think the live experience should come back.

But if we can watch movies with some sort of helmet, that gives us a virtual experience, people will pay to have that technology in their home.
    Very true. Also now that people are self-isolated, a lot of people realize they like self-isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Even if you meant total box office at the end of its run, I don't see how Croods 2 can get that high without the domestic market given that the first only made $400 million overseas.
    They can dream though right.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

There is no theaters open near me and probably won’t be until late 2021

Wonder woman 84 is getting good reviews from overseas. (film is out in some places.)

Expected to make $60m overseas first few days. (but has two big threats with the rescue and demon slayer which could take some of it's profits overseas.)

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-...dc-1234657379/

Rescue has crushed ww84 in china! (demon slayer has been delayed there thanks to the monster hunter mess)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-place-opening