Page 4 of 420 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Whilst My Hero Academia is a rising star whowver thought it would make Dragonball numbers was crazy

The Invisible Man’ Grows To $26M-$27M Opening Weekend – Saturday AM Update

And so, this weekend’s opening for Universal-Blumhouse’s The Invisible Man, now between $26M-$27M off its $7M production cost (before P&A), is a wonderful reminder that low budget genre fare continues to work. Grosses for the Leigh Whannell-directed and written film have improved from Friday afternoon to a current $9.9M (including Thursday night’s $1.65M). Universal’s hope is that Invisible Man continues to play like a thriller, with Saturday being even with Friday’s box office (or even better) and not like a horror movie, which is typically front-loaded.
    I have see a couple pieces on why the Dark Universe failed but the truth of the matter in thinking about it. If they had just released a solid movie like this and sneak in cameo in the film or post credit scene. I think they would been successful and the movies didn't have to truly connected they could have just use them to launch an other movie then maybe in the future crossover. I think fans like the idea of all these things happening in the same world they just had a bad plan they could have done couple low budget horror movie that exist in the same world and sneak a character into them that ties them together. They need more the Split/Glass approach of "hey surprise this is the same world" than "we are going to Marvel cinematic universe the crap out of you."
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-01-2020 at 03:23 AM.

Hero made the weekend top 4 in limited release!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/articl...?ref_=bo_hm_hp

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Hero made the weekend top 4 in limited release!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/articl...?ref_=bo_hm_hp
    What's the threshold for a limited release vs a wide release? I would have thought 1,260 is a wide release. Still it did pretty well for a movie that I didn't even know was coming out. I thought that EMMA. would be in the top ten, because there's been a lot of press for it, so I thought it was opening wide this weekend--and it's showing in my city--but then I looked at mojo and saw it's only in 97 outlets across North America. Its per theatre average is the highest for any film this weekend* and it managed to make it to 13th place. I don't understand why it didn't go wide this weekend, given it's got all the hype going for it now.

*(except ST. FRANCIS showing in only one theatre)
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-01-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What's the threshold for a limited release vs a wide release? I would have thought 1,260 is a wide release. Still it did pretty well for a movie that I didn't even know was coming out. I thought that EMMA. would be in the top ten, because there's been a lot of press for it, so I thought it was opening wide this weekend--and it's showing in my city--but then I looked at mojo and saw it's only in 97 outlets across North America. Its per theatre average is the highest for any film this weekend* and it managed to make it to 13th place. I don't understand why it didn't go wide this weekend, given it's got all the hype going for it now.

*(except ST. FRANCIS showing in only one theatre)
    Emma is going wide until next weekend, I expect it to do well.

And I'm glad about The Invisible Man's success, the property isn't my kind of thing but I was looking forward to it just because of Whannell's Upgrade, so it's great Universal is keeping him around. Not sure yet I'd say Invisible Man is my favorite horror film this year (I liked Gretel and Hansel way more than I was expecting) but maybe let me just rewatch.

Astonishing Member

For all the success everybody is talking, Sonic stumbles at under 300 million...I thought it would make much much more....like 500-700 m. Japan and China are still to open, but I don't think they will give it Hughe push like that.

Retired

SONIC didn't create the Covid-19 crisis. This is one of those things that's beyond the control of the studio. I'd hardly say it stumbled--it just couldn't open in China when it was scheduled to for obvious reasons.

Astonishing Member

SONIC didn't create the Covid-19 crisis. This is one of those things that's beyond the control of the studio. I'd hardly say it stumbled--it just couldn't open in China when it was scheduled to for obvious reasons.
    I understand that.

But, how much do you think China will bring in when it starts over there? And I was expecting more from the US and Europe. But all in all it will make profit, so it seems. That makes me happy

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I understand that.

But, how much do you think China will bring in when it starts over there? And I was expecting more from the US and Europe. But all in all it will make profit, so it seems. That makes me happy
    Honestly depending on when the theaters in China reopen the films that have already been released may not have a theatrical run because it would clash with other films that are coming out on their scheduled release dates and have more promotions going on. I can't imagine sonic trying to compete for theater screens once Mulan, Black Widow, and Wonder Woman are playing
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 03-03-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I understand that.

I didn't mean to be a fuss budget about the verb choice. "Stumble" to me means that there was some error committed on the part of the creators, producers or distributors which resulted in a lower box office. And that's not the case with SONIC. It's doing about as well as could be expected under the circumstances; it's just unfortunate for them that China is out of the picture right now, because that box office would have been in their calculations when making the film and scheduling its release.

The early indications for SONIC signalled that it could be in trouble, yet the domestic box office has overperformed relative to expectations. But not well enough to make up for the loss of the Chinese market. It's quite possible that SONIC will never open in China, because it's missed its window. And there's nothing that Paramount can do about that--the Chinese government controls when and if movies are released there--and with all their homegrown movies also not being released, they're likely to shelve the American movies in favour of their own, whenever theatres do open again.

Astonishing Member

I didn't mean to be a fuss budget about the verb choice. "Stumble" to me means that there was some error committed on the part of the creators, producers or distributors which resulted in a lower box office. And that's not the case with SONIC. It's doing about as well as could be expected under the circumstances; it's just unfortunate for them that China is out of the picture right now, because that box office would have been in their calculations when making the film and scheduling its release.

The early indications for SONIC signalled that it could be in trouble, yet the domestic box office has overperformed relative to expectations. But not well enough to make up for the loss of the Chinese market. It's quite possible that SONIC will never open in China, because it's missed its window. And there's nothing that Paramount can do about that--the Chinese government controls when and if movies are released there--and with all their homegrown movies also not being released, they're likely to shelve the American movies in favour of their own, whenever theatres do open again.
    Ah okay, stumble means at least in my country, or maybe just for me that is up for debate that it tripped, not to say who's fault it is. The producer and everyone involved made the best out of it, I am sure.

No Time to die James Bond had been delayed until fall due to conoravirus. I wonder which big films will also do this. Mulan has good enough reason to delay.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    No Time to die James Bond had been delayed until fall due to conoravirus. I wonder which big films will also do this. Mulan has good enough reason to delay.
    China's box office could seriously tank thanks to coronavirus. And that figures to have a negative effect on Hollywood as studios depend on overseas numbers from China to bolster homegrown figures.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    China's box office could seriously tank thanks to coronavirus. And that figures to have a negative effect on Hollywood as studios depend on overseas numbers from China to bolster homegrown figures.
    Also justify the insane budgets some films have hoping the Chinese box office can recoup that investment.

If you missed the our hero academia movie fathom events are bringing it back this weekend!