Page 5 of 420 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Unless more people see it this weekend birds of prey will knock our hero out of the top 5!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/2...?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Haven't post in awhile a lot to discuss in the box office world

Weekend Box Office Report: Onward, The Way Back

Disney and Pixar’s Onward opened with only $39.1M, on the lowest end of expectations and Pixar’s lowest inflation-adjusted wide opening ever.

Long Range Box Office Forecast: Marvel Studios’ Black Widow

Black Widow
    Domestic Opening Weekend Range: $90 – 130 million
    Peter Rabbit 2' Pushed to August Over Coronavirus Fears

With the coronavirus crisis continuing to escalate across Europe, Sony has decided to push the release of its Peter Rabbit sequel back by five months, The Hollywood Reporter has learned, making the film the second major studio release to be impacted by the epidemic after No Time to Die.

I Still Believe’ Expected to Top ‘Bloodshot’ and ‘The Hunt’ at Weekend Box Office

Of those three, “I Still Believe” is the one picked by independent trackers to have the best opening weekend and one analysts tell TheWrap has an outside chance of taking the No. 1 spot from Pixar’s “Onward” if it overperforms. Estimates for the inspirational true story film are currently set around $15 million, with Lionsgate projecting a $10-12 million start. Screenings will begin early on IMAX starting Wednesday.
    Finally, there’s “Bloodshot,” an R-rated adaptation of the bloody Valiant Comics series starring Vin Diesel. At the moment, the film faces an uphill battle to break even with estimates projecting a $10 million opening against a $45 million budget co-financed by Columba Pictures, Bona Film Group and Cross Creek Pictures. With “A Quiet Place Part II” coming out next weekend, the film will have a limited window to drive turnout among
    18-35 males.
    A little more on bloodshot
    Long Range Tracking: Bloodshot, I Still Believe

Bloodshot
    Opening Weekend Range: $12 – 17 million

PROS:

Vin Diesel’s presence could aid appeal to general moviegoers not familiar with his comic book character or its parent brand, Valiant Comics.

The lack of new releases aiming for adult male audiences in early-to-mid March will be a competitive advantage for this pic if reviews come in on the positive side.
    CONS:

As mentioned, very few potential moviegoers are familiar with the character. Initial social media footprints reflect a potentially front-loaded performance for genre fans, with certain metrics comparable more to last year’s Hellboy reboot than Diesel’s xXx or Riddick franchise entries or films with established IP like Tomb Raider or Pacific Rim: Uprising.
    Finally

Marvel release new trailer for New Mutants and they leaned on the superhero elements of the property. With James Bond and Peter Rabbit moved New Mutants has solid path to success IF coronavirus threat dies down a little by then

Fast & Furious 9’ Release Pushed Back a Year Due to Coronavirus

Disney postpones release of 'Mulan,' 'The New Mutants' and 'Antlers'

I feel bad for Bloodshot,I was quietly rooting for it to do good because I want them make more Valiant movies. But maybe it is a blessing in disguise they can blame box office failure on the release date and go on to make more Valiant films anyways learning from whatever mistakes they made with Bloodshot.

Retired

NEW MUTANTS seems cursed. "Charting with Dan" started a countdown to its release months ago, just because it's been delayed so many times. The actors in that were much younger when it was made. Maybe they should just release it on Disney+ and be done with it.

I'd hate to see WONDER WOMAN 1984 postponed--they already put off its release until this summer. However, perhaps WB would do best to put all the DC movies on HBO Max--it would help the streaming service and it would get around the resistance to DC movies.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    NEW MUTANTS seems cursed. "Charting with Dan" started a countdown to its release months ago, just because it's been delayed so many times. The actors in that were much younger when it was made. Maybe they should just release it on Disney+ and be done with it.
    At this point, sending it directly to Disney+ would be the best possible alternative as I suspect it would've been a box office bomb anyway. I'm hazy on the timeline, but I seem to recall New Mutants being heralded as the forerunner of an all-new genre, "superhero horror", but then, it was beaten to the punch by Brightburn, and it's just been one crapstorm after another since.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I said it in new mutant thread, I think they did a good job of marketing it . I think public perception is actual up on the film. I thought that it was going to get slaughter in the box office because it was put in between Mulan and James Bond. But now that it got delayed I think Disney can put where it won't have that type of competition. For me I see it as halloween october movie where it has advantage over other horror films because it is a superhero film as well. I think if they give it a good release date it could do solid numbers.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly since all the big movies are getting delayed, it might have been not a bad idea to leave New Mutants on it's planned release date.

Retired

Given how many other public spaces are being closed down, it doesn't seem unlikely that movie theatres will also be closed. If not across all of North America, then certainly in major cities where the outbreak is a looming concern. If attendance seriously dips this week--then theatre owners might decide to shut their doors on their own accord.

Given how many other public spaces are being closed down, it doesn't seem unlikely that movie theatres will also be closed. If not across all of North America, then certainly in major cities where the outbreak is a looming concern. If attendance seriously dips this week--then theatre owners might decide to shut their doors on their own accord.
    Well, Broadway has gone dark, concert halls have closed, and museums might be next, so it stands to reason multiplexes will follow suit, it's only a matter of when. Despite that, Hollywood should count their lucky stars the outbreak didn't happen in May when the summer blockbuster season usually starts, that said, studios could still end up taking a huge bath depending on how long the shutdown lasts.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honestly since all the big movies are getting delayed, it might have been not a bad idea to leave New Mutants on it's planned release date.
    With all the self isolating going on who's gonna go and watch it? That's not taking into account if theaters choose to shut down. The best thing for New Mutants is for Disney to throw it on Hulu or Disney+. People are gonna need something to do when they locked themselves in their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    With all the self isolating going on who's gonna go and watch it? That's not taking into account if theaters choose to shut down. The best thing for New Mutants is for Disney to throw it on Hulu or Disney+. People are gonna need something to do when they locked themselves in their homes.
    Yeah i couldn't agree more, seems like a no-brainer. Granted they are putting Frozen 2 on there pretty soon but previously unreleased content would also help them out, especially since it seems like some of their planned series for the fall will end up being postponed, perhaps considerably.

I can see the argument for releasing this in theaters in October to capitalize on Halloween, but i think with all the movies being delayed the competition is likely to be more ferocious than usual this fall. Also think there's a reasonable chance that a number of theaters will not be able to handle the financial hit they will take over the next couple of months and end up shuttering.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Yeah i couldn't agree more, seems like a no-brainer. Granted they are putting Frozen 2 on there pretty soon but previously unreleased content would also help them out, especially since it seems like some of their planned series for the fall will end up being postponed, perhaps considerably.

I can see the argument for releasing this in theaters in October to capitalize on Halloween, but i think with all the movies being delayed the competition is likely to be more ferocious than usual this fall. Also think there's a reasonable chance that a number of theaters will not be able to handle the financial hit they will take over the next couple of months and end up shuttering.
    I suspect the big ass multiplexes will survive, but smaller four to six screen theaters could go under.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/vin-die...us-1202882333/

Saturday AM Update w/chart It’s a drastic time out there for movie theaters and studios, as the domestic weekend box office is looking to land at a level that hasn’t been seen arguably since 1998, with an estimated $58.5M. The last time it was this low, according to Comscore, was the weekend of Sept. 11-13, 1998, with $56.8M. This was at a time when the early September period was a place for non-event titles at the box office.

Even the time frame following Sept. 11, 2001, fared better at the box office, with the weekend of Sept. 21-23 grossing $59.7M. Box Office analysts believe that this weekend’s wide entries of I Still Believe, The Hunt, and Bloodshot underperformed somewhere between 15% to 35% from where they were forecast to come in. Overall, the 3-day weekend looks to be off 42% from last weekend’s take of $100.7M. There is one optimist out there who believes if we can get to $19M today, then this weekend could possibly touch $70M. But that all depends on whether the regular Saturday bump occurs.

https://collider.com/i-still-believe...ffice-results/

In light of all ongoing public health and safety concerns, Lionsgate’s I Still Believe earned $4 million domestic through Friday, with $780,000 taken in during Thursday night previews. It averaged $1,231 per theater and opened in 3,250 theaters nationwide. I Still Believe not only did well at the Friday box office; it’s doing well with audiences, too. The pic earned an “A” CinemaScore
    Speaking of new releases, we can’t forget about Bloodshot and The Hunt. Coming in second is the Vin Diesel-led comic book adaptation earned $3.8 million domestic through Friday, with Thursday night previews totaling $1.2 million. The pic had a slightly better per theater average than #1 movie I Still Believe with $1,319 earned per theater from 2,861 theaters showing the movie nationwide. In fourth place is political satire The Hunt, which has finally hit theaters following a delay related to controversy over the movie’s subject matter. After bringing in $435,000 during Thursday night previews, The Hunt earned $2.2 million domestic through Friday. As for CinemaScores, audiences gave Bloodshot a “B” and The Hunt a “C+”

Retired

For anyone who actually went to a movie theatre, what was it like? Did they have special hygiene measures and what about seating?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

For anyone who actually went to a movie theatre, what was it like? Did they have special hygiene measures and what about seating?
    I didn't go to any theaters but the ones that are remaining open here are only allowing for 50% capacity. They don't want anyone to be seated next to each other.