Page 51 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    With MCU, Star Wars franchise and Disney’s legendary characters, Disney owns 33% of the movie market. But they had to spend billions to get to this point, something the other studios ain’t willing to do.

What has been keeping the theaters healthy for the last ten years? We can sum it up in one word, “Disney”
    I feel Disney trust marvel more than star wars now to make money for them.

Solo was a flop and Episode 9 may still have done over a billion, but even captain marvel could do more than that.

Ultimate Member

Solo wasn't bad though. Idk why it flopped

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because no one (relative to this franchise's size) really wanted a Solo prequel with some new face trying to fill some rather big shoes and adventuring about whatever that was. At that point quality/reviews are meaningless, like dragging you out of bed promising you a tasty bowl of a new brand of cereal that asks you to pay for it up front, instead of the one in your kitchen that you had already bought and liked.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Because no one (relative to this franchise's size) really wanted a Solo prequel with some new face trying to fill some rather big shoes and adventuring about whatever that was. At that point quality/reviews are meaningless, like dragging you out of bed promising you a tasty bowl of a new brand of cereal that asks you to pay for it up front, instead of the one in your kitchen that you had already bought and liked.
    Why do people say no one wants it? If it's good, it's good whether someone asked for it or not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Why do people say no one wants it? If it's good, it's good whether someone asked for it or not.
    It was only brought up here that it flopped, and quality (about which I have no opinion, didn't watch it myself) is not some magic bullet that can kill that monster every time (ask Dredd fans).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    It was only brought up here that it flopped, and quality (about which I have no opinion, didn't watch it myself) is not some magic bullet that can kill that monster every time (ask Dredd fans).
    Fair enough. I thought it was better than any of the ST

Didn't help they had to refilm half the film shooting the budget up. Solo was not that bad a movie to me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Didn't help they had to refilm half the film shooting the budget up. Solo was not that bad a movie to me.
    Solo was a horribly troubled production.

It only got a trailer a few weeks to its release.

Lucasfilm botched that movie in its entirety. On its own, it wasn’t a terrible movie but the re-shoots, massively bloated budget and totally lackluster marketing killed the movie.

I think it failed because, while it was an entertaining spacer, it just didn't feel like that was a young Hans Solo. It takes a special kind of magic to have someone fill in for such an iconic actor and roll. We saw Ford as Solo when he was close to the age he is in this movie. Enrenreich wasn't bad, he just wasn't Han Solo.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think it failed because, while it was an entertaining spacer, it just didn't feel like that was a young Hans Solo. It takes a special kind of magic to have someone fill in for such an iconic actor and roll. We saw Ford as Solo when he was close to the age he is in this movie. Enrenreich wasn't bad, he just wasn't Han Solo.
    I didn't think he was exactly like Han, but this was about a decade before he actually met Luke and Obi-Wan, so I didn't expect him to be the same. What I did like was it wasn't just another "fight the empire" movie for the most part.

Astonishing Member

The character itself also had an entire arc and we saw how it ended. It followed a critically controversial movie as well. It wasn't a bad movie but it had a combination of bad luck.

It will be interesting to see how Black Widow does, especially if there are no big reveals. Yes, BW has a more mysterious past and hasn't had a featured role but I feel like it's hard to get fans to invest in a prequel when you've seen the entire character arc play out already. I think it will do well but won't hit the monster numbers of other Marvel movies, even though there's been nothing really since.

BANNED

Solo flopped because Disney could not slow down the intense hatred and backlash that Last Jedi got and the movement it started.

All that negativity spilled easily to Solo and the film could not recover itself and ending up flopping.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The character itself also had an entire arc and we saw how it ended. It followed a critically controversial movie as well. It wasn't a bad movie but it had a combination of bad luck.

It will be interesting to see how Black Widow does, especially if there are no big reveals. Yes, BW has a more mysterious past and hasn't had a featured role but I feel like it's hard to get fans to invest in a prequel when you've seen the entire character arc play out already. I think it will do well but won't hit the monster numbers of other Marvel movies, even though there's been nothing really since.
    It's too bad TLJ's negative press affected Solo. These things should ideally be considered independently.

I think BW will do reasonably well, although I'm no expert at predicting this kind of thing. I can't say I was ever hugely invested in her or really wanted a solo film for her in the first place so Idk if I'm one to talk about not being invested in. But I'm interested in checking this out, at least to see Taskmaster and the new BW

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Solo flopped because Disney could not slow down the intense hatred and backlash that Last Jedi got and the movement it started.

All that negativity spilled easily to Solo and the film could not recover itself and ending up flopping.
    Probably a small section of the fan audience. TLJ still made $1.3 billion. I doubt this is the reason. I think more people wanted a movie as good as Rogue One and were dissapointed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Probably a small section of the fan audience. TLJ still made $1.3 billion. I doubt this is the reason. I think more people wanted a movie as good as Rogue One and were dissapointed.
    It was the reason. a small section of fans are not powerful enough to cause a big ripple effect.