Page 56 of 420 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Space jam heading for $32m. Fast 9 hits $150m in america.

“Space Jam: A New Legacy” has turned box office predictions on their head, blowing past both tracker projections and “Black Widow” to easily take the No. 1 spot at the box office with $13 million grossed from 3,965 screens on Friday and an estimated $32 million opening weekend.

Entering the weekend, “Space Jam 2” had been expected to open to $20 million, both behind “Black Widow” on the charts and behind the $27.5 million that the original “Space Jam” earned in 1996. But millennials nostalgic for “Space Jam” had something to say about that. While families played a key role with 32% of the audience in CinemaScore polls being under the age of 18, 40% were in the 18-35 demographic.

As expected, the film did better with audiences than critics, with Rotten Tomatoes scores showing 31% critics and 83% audience while CinemaScore audience polls yielded an A-.

With “Space Jam 2” peeling off millennials, “Black Widow” took a 69% drop from its $80 million launch last weekend, earning $8 million on its second Friday. That’s an 80% drop from the film’s $39.5 million opening Friday total, steeper than the 72% Friday-to-Friday drop taken by “F9” earlier this month.

Despite this, the Marvel Studios film passed “F9” as the fastest to gross $100 million domestically, doing so in less than a week while current estimates project a 10-day total of $130 million after an estimated $24 million second weekend.

In third is the Sony horror film “Escape Room: Tournament of Champions,” which earned $3.8 million on Friday from 2,815 locations and is expected to meet studio projections with an estimated $8.6 million opening. Reception for the film is a 42% critics/79% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes to go with a B on CinemaScore.

Universal holdovers “F9” and “The Boss Baby: Family Business” complete the top 5 with “F9” taking an estimated $6.7 million in its fourth weekend and “Boss Baby” taking an estimated $4.4 million in its third weekend. “F9” has now joined “A Quiet Place — Part II” as the second post-pandemic release to gross $150 million in North America.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...144254081.html

Ultimate Member

Has anyone seen Space Jam 2 yet?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    NO

It is pretty much kids wanting to see Bugs Bunny and friends more than Lebon. Because I have heard too many parent cringe about having to go see that film because the kids want to see Bugs.

Maybe they should have made some more Bugs and friends toys than Lebron because no one is touching those toys around here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Space Jam 2 might take out BW.
    Now that'd be some upset worthy of a Space Jam game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Wonder how much free on HBOMax will cut into the Box Office?
    What's interesting is that even then it could be bigger than Godzilla vs Kong's debut weekend. Wondering how The Suicide Squad will do now.

I did.

Heading to the theatres in a few hours with the family to see it. From the reviews expecting it to be "ok". Good not great. Will see in two hours.

BANNED

Is Space Jams 2 that strong?
    or
    Is Black Widow that weak?

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Is Space Jams 2 that strong?
    or
    Is Black Widow that weak?
    What's really strange is that Space Jam is available for FREE if you have HBO MAX and it still beat Black Widow. It feels like word of mouth has caught up to Black Widow. I was going to see it in the theatre but after talking to the people who have seen it, it feels like Black Widow is a six out of ten movie. That means it's something you see when it gets to the cheap theatre or when the streamer doesn't charge extra.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

I can't imagine Space Jam 2 being better than Black Widow

Just got back from the theatres. Didn't think it was that bad. Not the best movie in the world but the family liked it and enjoyed watching it. Nice to see bugs bunny in theatres again.

To me the game was the best part. People saying it all hbo max ads full of the other movies? Huh? The cameos are just background filler like we thought. They are just watching the game.

The go into other worlds take like 10 min or less and is done. If you are going for the cameos you will be letdown. They are just that. Cameos.

Our showing was pretty full also. (alot of kids there) Family enjoyed it and i didn't think it was anywhere as bad as they said. Like the first the human only parts due slow down however.

I can't imagine Space Jam 2 being better than Black Widow
    Apparently a lot of people did. I hear Feige is going to make LeBron James the new Taskmaster. At first he will be a Thunderbolt but leave to form a new team of Avengers in Miami with his pals. Then return to the Thunderbolts and then leave again to form a team of Defenders in Los Angeles.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What's really strange is that Space Jam is available for FREE if you have HBO MAX and it still beat Black Widow. It feels like word of mouth has caught up to Black Widow. I was going to see it in the theatre but after talking to the people who have seen it, it feels like Black Widow is a six out of ten movie. That means it's something you see when it gets to the cheap theatre or when the streamer doesn't charge extra.
    Anecdote, but my theater wasn't very full when I watched Black Widow and I wonder if many people saw it as a non-essential MCU movie from the beginning. Another way to look at it is, Disney boasting high home viewership came with a price and that's many people who'll never watch it in a theater any weekend, especially if the word of mouth isn't sky-high.

Ultimately Space Jam is just more families with kids friendly. Then again it's probably still impressive since the new Boss Baby is still fresh enough and readily available for them.

There were alot of families with kids at our showing and the kids were laughing in the movie.

The scooby and superman the animated series cameos got a big reaction from the kids in our showing. One kid yelled "scooby!" Lol.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Apparently a lot of people did. I hear Feige is going to make LeBron James the new Taskmaster. At first he will be a Thunderbolt but leave to form a new team of Avengers in Miami with his pals. Then return to the Thunderbolts and then leave again to form a team of Defenders in Los Angeles.
    Seems weird to compare the two and think SJ2 did something impressive compared to BW or is in some way more popular. In theaters, BW’s opening weekend made 2.5X what SJ2 did in its opening weekend. It’s set pandemic records all week. Likely what’s made more than SJ2 will make in its entire run. BW also made double SJ2’s BO just on streaming.

Reality check … SJ2 opened well and nostalgia proved more powerful than people expected but there’s no comparison between it and BW so far.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Seems weird to compare the two and think SJ2 did something impressive compared to BW or is in some way more popular. In theaters, BW’s opening weekend made 2.5X what SJ2 did in its opening weekend. It’s set pandemic records all week. Likely what’s made more than SJ2 will make in its entire run. BW also made double SJ2’s BO just on streaming.

Reality check … SJ2 opened well and nostalgia proved more powerful than people expected but there’s no comparison between it and BW so far.
    Sigh. I made a sports joke and forgot that this was CBR, The place where you want to make a sports joke. The point of the joke is that LeBron James switches teams a lot.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-17-2021 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Forgot that sports and CBR do not mix.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post

On the other hand there's concern about BW setting up another record: dropping the hardest among MCU movies post-debut like it was a common Batman V Superman. And the streaming news were nice and all, but unless Disney continues to report them every weekend I wonder if that many people will continue to remember or care about that. We'll see.

Sigh. I made a sports joke and forgot that this was CBR. The point of the joke is that LeBron James switches teams a lot.
    Even the movie made the same joke lol.