Page 57 of 420 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Even the movie made the same joke lol.
    I forgot that this is is CBR and that would go over like The Union singing "It's coming home!" (That is another thing useridgoeshere wouldn't get) so I take full responsibility.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What's really strange is that Space Jam is available for FREE if you have HBO MAX and it still beat Black Widow. It feels like word of mouth has caught up to Black Widow. I was going to see it in the theatre but after talking to the people who have seen it, it feels like Black Widow is a six out of ten movie. That means it's something you see when it gets to the cheap theatre or when the streamer doesn't charge extra.

I honestly don't think its that at all. Black Widow will hold way better than Space Jam. People paid a lot of money over the last week to stream it on Disney + as well. I mean come on space jam had a 13 million dollar Friday and BW had a 39 million dollar Friday. Its not even comparable.

Astonishing Member

On the other hand there's concern about BW setting up another record: dropping the hardest among MCU movies post-debut like it was a common Batman V Superman. And the streaming news were nice and all, but unless Disney continues to report them every weekend I wonder if that many people will continue to remember or care about that. We'll see.

Even the movie made the same joke lol.
    Black widow will easily be over 200 million with streaming and domestic alone. It made 60 million streaming the first 3 days. Its not even comparable. You guys are grasping at straws.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Black widow will easily be over 200 million with streaming and domestic alone. It made 60 million streaming the first 3 days. Its not even comparable. You guys are grasping at straws.
    While I'm not remotely picking any fights with you about this (which your tone seems totally inviting to do) now or probably ever, I feel like asking a question that didn't even cross my mind before, and might or might not be relevant later, and that you (seeming passionate enough to know or look) might answer: how much did Black Widow cost?

Astonishing Member

While I'm not remotely picking any fights with you about this (which your tone seems totally inviting to do) now or probably ever, I feel like asking a question that didn't even cross my mind before, and might or might not be relevant later, and that you (seeming passionate enough to know or look) might answer: how much did Black Widow cost?

I am not picking a fight. Just pointing out the movie is going to be the biggest movie of the summer in this pandemic environment. Nothing is lighting up the box office. Comparing things to Batman vs Superman is disingenuous and not taking into account what has been happening. To actually say 60 million in streaming in the first 3 days is nice and all is downplaying it. That is massive and unheard of.

Astonishing Member

I am not picking a fight. Just pointing out the movie is going to be the biggest movie of the summer in this pandemic environment. Nothing is lighting up the box office. Comparing things to Batman vs Superman is disingenuous and not taking into account what has been happening. To actually say 60 million in streaming in the first 3 days is nice and all is downplaying it. That is massive and unheard of.
    Just to disclose first of all that I personally think Black Widow and the new Space Jam seem to be in a great position right now because they are stand-alone films (people only have to follow Yelena to Hawkeye for now, and even Space Jam 1 fans were fine not getting a sequel for over 2 decades) and they only need to generate great headlines for the industry as a whole...

You didn't answer what I asked YOU, which I thought was sensible to ask before speculating about weeks from now. You don't have to answer me if you don't wanna, but blockbuster budgets exist, and they can matter a lot when it comes to discussing, you know, box office success.

Astonishing Member

Just to disclose first of all that I personally think Black Widow and the new Space Jam seem to be in a great position right now because they are stand-alone films (people only have to follow Yelena to Hawkeye for now, and even Space Jam 1 fans were fine not getting a sequel for over 2 decades) and they only need to generate great headlines for the industry as a whole...

You didn't answer what I asked YOU, which I thought was sensible to ask before speculating about weeks from now. You don't have to answer me if you don't wanna, but blockbuster budgets exist, and they can matter a lot when it comes to discussing, you know, box office success.

I don't know. How much did Space Jam cost?

Astonishing Member

I don't know. How much did Space Jam cost?
    Dunno but it looked gorgeous at times so should be considerable.

I really only care that while I liked Black Widow the box office coverage would have been pretty boring here if everything after Black Widow and until Jungle Cruise or The Suicide Squad bombed or debuted under 10 million.

Astonishing Member

Dunno but it looked gorgeous at times so should be considerable.

I really only care that while I liked Black Widow the box office coverage would have been pretty boring here if everything after Black Widow and until Jungle Cruise or The Suicide Squad bombed or debuted under 10 million.
    Well I don't know what it cost either. But if you are worried about BW box office compared to the costs of the movie, then I would think that Space Jams cost compared to what it is bringing in might be a subject as well. And considering it had no pay for streaming it probably is losing way more money. But I don't think either should be compared to normal times. It is what it is right now.

Astonishing Member

Well I don't know what it cost either. But if you are worried about BW box office compared to the costs of the movie, then I would think that Space Jams cost compared to what it is bringing in might be a subject as well. And considering it had no pay for streaming it probably is losing way more money. But I don't think either should be compared to normal times. It is what it is right now.
    No one is even thinking about Space Jam that far ahead considering we have 0 international box office updates for it so far (and for that matter don't know if Black Widow piracy, or anything else, will actually doom it in China later) and who knows how long Space Jam talk can last in the first place.

But people are free to comment on how it was widely expected Black Widow would top its second weekend in theaters (regardless of Covid or its home availability) and it actually didn't happen. That's just things turning interesting as far as I'm concerned.

Astonishing Member

No one is even thinking about Space Jam that far ahead considering we have 0 international box office updates for it so far (and for that matter don't know if Black Widow piracy, or anything else, will actually doom it in China later) and who knows how long Space Jam talk can last in the first place.

But people are free to comment on how it was widely expected Black Widow would top its second weekend in theaters (regardless of Covid or its home availability) and it actually didn't happen. That's just things turning interesting as far as I'm concerned.

Expectations for any of these movies have got to be way down. No matter what. I suppose one could be a little surprised that Space Jam topped BW this weekend. Im not. Not when you have millions of people streaming this movie on Disney + all over the country and the world instead of going to the theater. Even with that its going to probably be the biggest movie of the summer just in theaters box office. And that in and of itself is something especially with a new wave of covid coming on. I mean BW will be at what 120 million domestic at the end of this weekend, plus whatever streaming numbers are which we know have got to be far north of 60 million at this point. And whatever the international numbers are going to be. All things being equal in this environment I don't know how anyone can expect anymore. I personally am surprised the BW and F&F brought in what it did. And with covid going nuts again the rest of this summer isn't going to look good.

Astonishing Member

Expectations for any of these movies have got to be way down. No matter what. I suppose one could be a little surprised that Space Jam topped BW this weekend. Im not. Not when you have millions of people streaming this movie on Disney + all over the country and the world instead of going to the theater. Even with that its going to probably be the biggest movie of the summer just in theaters box office. And that in and of itself is something especially with a new wave of covid coming on. I mean BW will be at what 120 million domestic at the end of this weekend, plus whatever streaming numbers are which we know have got to be far north of 60 million at this point. And whatever the international numbers are going to be. All things being equal in this environment I don't know how anyone can expect anymore. I personally am surprised the BW and F&F brought in what it did. And with covid going nuts again the rest of this summer isn't going to look good.
    With this current talk being so light on numbers just talking about existing budgets, and then a rapid-fire reminder (filled with speculation about what the rest of the summer will be like) about pandemic waves possibly tilting expectations and the industry (in addition to causing untold grief to people), I'm not going to reply to posts like these again unless I see actual data linked/posted beforehand. Should be easier soon, once moving on the "Black Widow didn't top Friday" stage.

200 million.

Space Jam 2 cost 162 million by the way. Now do the math and compare the opening weekends

30-35 million opening weekend for a 162 million movie is actually an atrocious result. People are only bragging about it because it was expected to do even worse.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

I almost spit up my coffee, Sjam cost 162 million to make ? Thats unbelievable for an animated film.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I almost spit up my coffee, Sjam cost 162 million to make ? Thats unbelievable for an animated film.
    Eh. Frozen cost $150m.