Page 59 of 420 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Monday morning quarterbacking from the marketing gurus aside, this movie's release is obviously unusual for several reasons - the pandemic and the streaming release being the big 2. (I know I'm still choosing to avoid movie theaters for the time being because of the pandemic) And even if they were to take the streaming revenue into account, there's no accounting for the fact that buying it on D+ allows you to rewatch it over and over so there's no telling if there might've been repeat business from those who really liked it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

And theatre owners are furious.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/movie-thea...204901310.html

The theatre association didn't hold back at all. They went ballistic on Disney.

I can see both sides of this one. I do think that the next Marvel movie is suppose to be theater only? But who knows with the way this pandemic is going.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Space Jam was always going to be very expensive.

LeBron alone would have commanded a hefty fee talk much less of the CGI in the film.

If not for the pandemic, it would have opened up a lot more than it did. Im not sure many parents will risk taking their kids to the cinemas considering the risk of infection particularly with the delta variant spreading rather rapidly.
    Space Jam costed at least $150 million.

That is NOT counting promotion-including ads in NBA 2K21 games.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    The huge drop is due to streaming, the pandemic, ect. No movies are doing well. Her being alive or dead has nothing to do with anything. There are no movies making big money. MCU or not MCU.
    A Quiet Place Part II says hi.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    A Quiet Place Part II says hi.

Black Widow will blow by A quiet place 2. Come on you are not being serious. BW has already made more than a quiet place 2 if you count streaming. Way more. I mean some of these statement are pretty obviously a just a joke.

Astonishing Member

Black Widow will blow by A quiet place 2. Come on you are not being serious. BW has already made more than a quiet place 2 if you count streaming. Way more. I mean some of these statement are pretty obvious a just a joke.
    You don't make any sense. You said no movies are doing well period, but have you compared the budget difference between Black Widow and AQPPII, or just looked at the worldwide box office current totals and called it a day? Does it not matter than in a pandemic AQPPII is not hugely behind the numbers of its immediate pre-pandemic predecessor? Or that even if the pandemic is flaring up again in places and AQPPII is already available in streaming its last domestic weekend din't really suffer accordingly? Or that its studio has already realized and made the call for us about its success and committed to not only announce a sequel (or spin-off) for its success, but also date it in the calendar?

Or since you seem to be posting from a pro-BW only perspective, maybe you'd like to rephrase to 100+ million budgeted movies not doing well? And even then Godzilla vs Kong outgrossed its immediate predecessor and landed its director another gig for the next Monsterverse movie out of the good reception. And if you believe BW will eventually pass GvK (and Fast 9 for that matter) in worldwide box office while the summer isn't remotely over, that's your opinion for now but even if that comes to pass, don't act like other movies can't achieve success. Seems elitist to me.
    Last edited by Wildling; 07-18-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

You don't make any sense. You said no movies are doing well period, but have you compared the budget difference between Black Widow and AQPPII, or just looked at the worldwide box office current totals and called it a day? Does it not matter than in a pandemic AQPPII is not hugely behind the numbers of its immediate pre-pandemic predecessor? Or that even if the pandemic is flaring up again in places and AQPPII is already available in streaming its last domestic weekend din't really suffer accordingly? Or that its studio has already realized and made the call for us about its success and committed to not only announce a sequel (or spin-off) for its success, but also date it in the calendar?

Or since you seem to be posting from a pro-BW only perspective, maybe you'd like to rephrase to 100+ million budgeted movies not doing well? And even then Godzilla vs Kong outgrossed its immediate predecessor and landed its director another gig for the next Monsterverse movie out of the good reception. And if you believe BW will eventually pass GvK (and Fast 9 for that matter) in worldwide box office while the summer isn't remotely over, that's your opinion for now but even if that comes to pass, don't act like other movies can't achieve success. Seems elitist to me.

No movies are doing well. The top box office movie for the year right now is 155 million domestic. Come on dude. Get real. You keep trying to compare things that are not comparable. What movie is doing well at the box office? The top domestic movie of the year is 155 million dollars. BW will surpass that and there is nothing on the horizon that is going to pass BW and that is with it banking tens of millions in streaming. What is your point. And I am not pro or con BW. But I am pro or con facts. No movies not Kong, or Fast and Furious or BW or any freaking thing is making anywhere near the money domestic that they would normally. Did you see F&F drops from week 1. 67 percent. That is massive. It made 70 million opening weekend. Now in its third weekend its at 154 million. Nothing is doing anything like they normally would. So trying to compare this stuff is crazy with any normal time. Here is what I see. BW will be the biggest domestic movie of the summer. Easily. And that is with it streaming oh I don't know 100 million? Thats all I am saying. So people come on here and try and make statements like oh people are getting tired of marvel. Come on. Based on what. A movie released during a pandemic, and also same day streaming? Get real.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-18-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

No movies are doing well. The top box office movie for the year right now is 155 million domestic. Come on dude. Get real. You keep trying to compare things that are not comparable. What movie is doing well at the box office? The top domestic movie of the year is 155 million dollars. BW will surpass that and there is nothing on the horizon that is going to pass BW and that is with it banking tens of millions in streaming. What is your point. And I am not pro or con BW. But I am pro or con facts. No movies not Kong, or Fast and Furious or BW or any freaking thing is making anywhere near the money domestic that they would normally. Did you see F&F drops from week 1. 67 percent. That is massive. It made 70 million opening weekend. Now in its third weekend its at 154 million. Nothing is doing anything like they normally would. So trying to compare this stuff is crazy with any normal time. Here is what I see. BW will be the biggest domestic movie of the summer. Easily. And that is with it streaming oh I don't know 100 million? Thats all I am saying. So people come on here and try and make statements like oh people are getting tired of marvel. Come on. Based on what. A movie released during a pandemic, and also same day streaming? Get real.
    You didn't really answer anything I asked which I thought was amazing enough to ignore replying to, but I notice you seem to penalize a 155 million domestic box office as the standard for not doing well in theaters right now. Do you realize even before the pandemic not every movie could reliably pass 200 million in North America theaters? Or that it was not mandatory, depending on the movie, to still achieve success and support the industry as a whole? Or that even when aiming as high as the Star Wars franchise, it still happened that Solo made more than 200 million domestically and still bombed and nothing more came out of it?

Astonishing Member

You didn't really answer anything I asked which I thought was amazing enough to ignore replying to, but I notice you seem to penalize a 155 million domestic box office as the standard for not doing well in theaters right now. Do you realize even before the pandemic not every movie could reliably pass 200 million in North America theaters? Or that it was not mandatory, depending on the movie, to still achieve success and support the industry as a whole? Or that even when aiming as high as the Star Wars franchise, it still happened that Solo made more than 200 million domestically and still bombed and nothing more came out of it?

Find me a year where 155 million domestic was the top movie going into august. What people are trying to do is compare this to a normal year where Disney releases a Marvel movie. Or heck anyone releases any movie. I am looking at Fast and Furious 8 box office returns right now. At this time with both releases 24 days in Fast and Furious 8 made over 50 million more dollars than the new Fast and Furious. 50 million. And that isn't including worldwide. The last Fast and Furious movie made 1.23 billion dollars worldwide. 1.23 billion. This one may make half that. That is brutal. So the Box office is not being kind to anything. A quiet place 2 would also have done much better if not for the pandemic. Any of these movies would have.

Astonishing Member

Find me a year where 155 million domestic was the top movie going into august. What people are trying to do is compare this to a normal year where Disney releases a Marvel movie. Or heck anyone releases any movie. I am looking at Fast and Furious 8 box office returns right now. At this time with both releases 24 days in Fast and Furious 8 made over 50 million more dollars than the new Fast and Furious. 50 million. And that isn't including worldwide. The last Fast and Furious movie made 1.23 billion dollars worldwide. 1.23 billion. This one may make half that. That is brutal. So the Box office is not being kind to anything. A quiet place 2 would also have done much better if not for the pandemic. Any of these movies would have.
    Again, it's amazing how you continue to double down with this without acknowledging how AQPPII directly refutes you regarding how close it its to its franchise predecessor, and how you didn't answer the subsequent question related to that.

What you posted didn't mean you're right, just that studios still had movies to schedule and release in abnormal circumstances just right in order to still do well and prove that you're still wrong.
    Last edited by Wildling; 07-18-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

Again, it's amazing how you continue to double down with this without acknowledginbg how AQPPII directly refutes you regarding how close it its to its franchise predecessor, and you didn't answer the subsequent question regarding that either.

What you posted didn't mean you're right, just that studios still had movies to schedule and release in abnormal circumstances just right in order to still do well and prove that you're still wrong.

I seriously don't know what you are actually talking about. The only relevant thing during these times really is how much a movie is making compared to other movies. And that is it. I don't understand the points you are attempting to make. Comparing things to other times, or whatever isn't relevant right now. Maybe if you were trying to compare this if it got released in 2020 without a pandemic like it was suppose to and it was bringing in this type of box office you would have a point. But thats not relevant. What we do know is BW has brought in 132 million domestically. Its not even being released in China. And the streaming numbers are massive. Thats what we know.

Astonishing Member

I seriously don't know what you are actually talking about.
    I'm at an equal loss at how AQPPII being a movie doing well during the current pandemic (as a mere example) seems completely alien to you. I even pointed out how, in case that movie was completely outside of your media/fandom bubble and you needed a little help to go look and see how.

The only relevant thing during these times really is how much a movie is making compared to other movies.
    Which I already covered regarding how AQPPII is doing very well regarding its pre-pandemic franchise predecessor (as far as how Black Widow has a record drop among the MCU) and how GvK did as well during the middle of the pandemic.

Astonishing Member

I'm at an equal loss at how AQPPII being a movie doing well during the current pandemic (as a mere example) seems completely alien to you. I even pointed out how, in case that movie was completely outside of your media/fandom bubble and you needed a little help to go look and see how.

Which I already covered regarding how AQPPII is doing very well regarding its pre-pandemic franchise predecessor (as far as how Black Widow has a record drop among the MCU) and how GvK did as well during the middle of the pandemic.

I just posted that Fast and Furious might make half worldwide what the last one did and is 50 million behind it domestically . What are you comparing BW to? Spiderman? Or Endgame? For cripes sake Cruella made 83 million. No one believes this is what it would have made during normal times.

If you look at 132 million plus what is probably anywhere from 80 million to 100 million streaming at this point plus internationally the movie is doing as well as anyone can expect. I mean I don't really understand what is the point with all of this is.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-18-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

I just posted that Fast and Furious might make half worldwide what the last one did and is 50 million behind it domestically .
    No you initially replied to me about AQPPII which is a movie you really don't seem to know or care about at all, at which point it's fine to not reply at all, or actually go get facts about it if not doing that.

What are you comparing BW to? Spiderman? Or Endgame? For cripes sake Cruella made 83 million. No one believes this is what it would have made during normal times.

If you look at 132 million plus what is probably anywhere from 80 million to 100 million streaming at this point plus internationally the movie is doing as well as anyone can expect. I mean I don't really understand what is the point with all of this is.
    I already posted here about how I personally think BW shouldn't be very pressured about box office numbers, no need to repeat myself.

Let's agree Cruella deserved even more and we'll all watch a sequel if it happens (even that one doesn't really need a sequel it's great as it is )

BANNED

I remember when the second weekend drop of 50%-60% was the norm.
    The norm now is almost a 70% drop.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if SJ2 crash and burn next weekend.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-19-2021 at 06:21 PM.