Page 7 of 420 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Retired

Canada's Cineplex is closing all their theatres effective immediately until at least April 2nd. Cineplex is the major distributor here with about 75% of the theatres across Canada (Canada's box office is calculated as part of the domestic gross for Hollywood movies).

So even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to see movies at a theatre, given Cineplex controls virtually all the first-run theatres here.

I came across this article

Box Office: ‘Bloodshot’ Bombed Because Vin Diesel Isn’t A Movie Star

This is the king of horrible takes, The movie failed not because A. it was bad B. We are in middle of global pandemic but because the actor is not a box office draw. On the strength of what Fast and Furious and Superhero movies do in China it is silly to downplay how much Bloodshot was affected by not being able access that market. This is most close I have been telling writer they wrote a dumb article.

Bloodshot made 9 Million domestic and 15 million world wide. So it made 24 million. Bloodshot was projected for 10 million domestic opening by Sony and it made 9 million with virus limiting theaters

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

This is the king of horrible takes, The movie failed not because A. it was bad B. We are in middle of global pandemic but because the actor is not a box office draw. On the strength of what Fast and Furious and Superhero movies do in China it is silly to downplay how much Bloodshot was affected by not being able access that market. This is most close I have been telling writer they wrote a dumb article.

Bloodshot made 9 Million domestic and 15 million world wide. So it made 24 million. Bloodshot was projected for 10 million domestic opening by Sony and it made 9 million with virus limiting theaters
    On that strength of logic alot of people wont be stars anymore

So it seems Universal plans to release a few first-run movies on demand, perhaps at a price point of $20. Do you think other studios will follow suit, Disney in particular? And how does this affect our calculations and metrics for box office going forward. Also wonder what the effect will be on local cinemas that were barely making it before this, will they re-open eventually or just call it quits.

Retired

There's going to be a shortage of new product eventually, since they can't put any movies into production and have to stop production on others.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    So it seems Universal plans to release a few first-run movies on demand, perhaps at a price point of $20. Do you think other studios will follow suit, Disney in particular? And how does this affect our calculations and metrics for box office going forward. Also wonder what the effect will be on local cinemas that were barely making it before this, will they re-open eventually or just call it quits.
    I see other studios doing this with their low budget films. I don't see Disney doing this with Mulan as that film cost too much money to produce to make a profit solely on digital.

If I am going to watch a movie at home anyway. Why not wait a few months and get it for $5 instead of $20?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

I pay for cinema, or I watch it for free (if you don't count the subscription costs) but I wouldn't spend an additional dime on a movie just to see it a month earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Now that I think about it, I've never went to see a starring "Vin Diesel" movie. Nope, can't say I have.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Now that I think about it, I've never went to see a starring "Vin Diesel" movie. Nope, can't say I have.
    The only Vin Diesel movie I've ever seen to date was XXX. For people who say ScarJo and Kristen Stewart are wooden, Vin has them both beat with lumber to spare.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-17-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Diesel is great for Schlock.

Retired

Trying to make any argument about the box office now is illogical. There's always going to be an asterisk for any movie that's out this year, because we just don't know what it would have done in a regular year.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Black Widow officially been postponed
    https://twitter.com/ign/status/1239964256214212614?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Diesel is great for Schlock.
    Hes been good in stuff. Find me guilty, Pitch Black, 5mins of Saving Private Ryan. Think hes gotten in this groove where hes not willing to try new things as an actor. So hes just Dominic Torreto In every film except less charismatic in most those movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Hes been good in stuff. Find me guilty, Pitch Black, 5mins of Saving Private Ryan. Think hes gotten in this groove where hes not willing to try new things as an actor. So hes just Dominic Torreto In every film except less charismatic in most those movies.
    I think he is just himself. I mean Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood never changed as well. Their acting (and others as well) were always the same, doesn't matter what kind of role they played.

Because they do not work otherwise. Imagine Clint Eastwood as Ace Ventura...:-)

Jim Carrey is the clown, but he can do tremendous stuff outside that, except the action hero. I wouldn't want to say Jim Carrey playing Rambo.

If you get my point