Page 71 of 420 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Free Guy ended so well I don't see how it could benefit from a sequel.

But I'm over the moon about the Cruella sequel news, and Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle/The Next Level were fine so why not if the pitch is good.

BREAKING The Suicide Squad Pulled from Theaters after 1 Week in Multiple Locations
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-MnqiZqKO4

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    BREAKING The Suicide Squad Pulled from Theaters after 1 Week in Multiple Locations
    Why is YT a source?

Retired

Yikes! I wish you had given some kind of warning the video was from that guy. I couldn't shut if off fast enough.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    With due respect to deadline. 26.4 million for a movie like Free guy sucks. People are trying to put lipsticks on pigs.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think anything was expected from Free Guy. Given the times, what with the delta variant running amok, the studio might look at that number as a positive.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think anything was expected from Free Guy. Given the times, what with the delta variant running amok, the studio might look at that number as a positive.
    Disney is interested in a sequel already, in addition to making another Cruella. It's early and all for Free Guy's numbers, but I wouldn't blame them. I think they have to live a little and have something to show for this summer after the Black Widow mess and especially if Jungle Cruise doesn't break even.

Astonishing Member

And because a certain actor cameo in Free Guy made me think about it, I saw Knives Out in 2019 debuted in North America with 41 million over a 5 day holiday weekend (26 million over 3 days), and that was with a cast filled with more recognizable names (including the director) than Free Guy, and was so successful Netflix eventually paid a king ransom to secure its sequels.

So when people talk positively about Free Guy's debut (in the middle of a pandemic), it's definitely no fluff.

Here sony goes again! Ironic addams got the last laugh after all and is staying put in theatres.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/hotel-t...on-1234815838/

Niffleheim

This would make the 3rd Sony animated movie that went to different streaming services.

Breaking!!!...

It is totally playing this weekend at a local theater -

https://www.cinemark.com/theatres/il...ate=2021-08-21

Addams family 2 will be on vod same day as theatres now.

With 4 new films out plus free guy it's anyones guess how this will go this weekend.

No word on todays box office yet.

On the other side it's confirmed james bond will keep it's release date for now in america.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 08-20-2021 at 07:41 PM.

I could make a joke about how the PAW Patrol dogs are bigger movie stars than Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Hall and/or Samuel L. Jackson, but that’s technically true.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=6e696b273b47

Paw patrol makes $4.45 million on Friday, for a $12.6 million opening weekend. Yes it's same say on paramount plus.

Note paw patrol has a smaller budget so it does not need to make as much.

On the other hand----

As such, the pretty damn good Reminiscence (co-starring Rebecca Ferguson and Thandiwe Newton) was doomed before Covid and before HBO Max. But, yes, the film’s miserable $600,000 Friday and likely $1.78 million weekend is partially due to the current pandemic variables, as was Angelina Jolie’s Those Who Wish Me Dead in mid-May. Hugh Jackman remains one of the last “new” movie stars to get a varied career outside of his marquee franchise, as well as one of the only “from obscurity to franchise stardom” to actually be a draw outside of his IP-specific marquee character, but he’s never been a consistent draw. Even The Greatest Showman opened soft before catching fire. Alas.
    Awful reviews sunk this one.

Finally, Martin Campbell’s The Protege (review) opened courtesy of Lionsgate. Another low-buzz, low-impact title, starring Maggie Q. as an assassin facing off against Michael Keaton to avenge the death of her mentor (Samuel L. Jackson), The Protégé earned $1.12 million on Friday for a likely over/under $2.75 million debut weekend. That’s obviously a lousy result, but nobody was expecting much better in these grim times. Heck, Luc Besson’s Anna opened with $3.6 million in summer 2019, so it’s not like Covid prevented this one from breaking out. I liked it well enough, but then I’m a Campbell fan. As expected these days, most of the publicity centered around Keaton reprising Batman in The Flash and Campbell discussing what went wrong with Green Lantern.

Searchlight’s The Night House opened yesterday as well, earning $1 million on Friday for a likely over/under $2.5 million opening weekend. The low-buzz (but well-reviewed) Rebecca Hall showcase, about a woman being haunted (literally and metaphorically) by her husband’s unexpected death-by-suicide, was never really going to break out even in better times. It’s a hell of a movie, with one of the best jump scares in recent memory and an unusual sense of unease and dread throughout, but that will have to be enough for now. Folks will discover this one on HBO Max in a few months and wonder why nobody told them about it when it was in theaters.

Astonishing Member

Pulling Suicide Squad for what?!?!? Even though it's not a big hit, there's literally nothing to replace it with.

It's going to be somewhat like Birds of Prey--you'll see it in theaters for a long time because there's just a lack of new movies coming out.