Page 72 of 420 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Pulling Suicide Squad for what?!?!? Even though it's not a big hit, there's literally nothing to replace it with.

It's going to be somewhat like Birds of Prey--you'll see it in theaters for a long time because there's just a lack of new movies coming out.
    It's absolutely normal that a movie loses locations and if its numbers are rather disappointing like those of TSS it will lose more sites than usual. So some YouTuber is just making a clickbait video out of something that isn't special at all.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Free guy only had only a 30% drop. As most films are 50 to 60 thats great for free guy.

So free guy and paw patrol are the winners. Jungle cruise while still losing money did make 3rd this week.

The rest of the top 5 are last few weeks films. The other three new films didn't even make the top 5 and jackmans film bombed bad at 11th place! Ouch! Can't blame the virus or hbo max this time as the films rt score went from 50 to 31 in a few days and trailers were awful. This film looks like would have bombed even in pre virus years.

Scary movies have been doing well but it didn't save night house.

We don't have the numbers for the great muppet caper rerelease.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Free guy only had only a 30% drop. As most films are 50 to 60 thats great for free guy.

So free guy and paw patrol are the winners. Jungle cruise while still losing money did make 3rd this week.

The rest of the top 5 are last few weeks films. The other three new films didn't even make the top 5 and jackmans film bombed bad at 11th place! Ouch! Can't blame the virus or hbo max this time as the films rt score went from 50 to 31 in a few days and trailers were awful. This film looks like would have bombed even in pre virus years.

Scary movies have been doing well but it didn't save night house.

We don't have the numbers for the great muppet caper rerelease.
    I didn't mind Reminiscence's trailer, mostly because of Ferguson. But I guess gotta watch it quick before it goes the way of Those Who Wish Me Dead (which I also watched in a theater, I'm the kind of weirdo who still goes to the theater just to see what's up).

And most of all I'm catching The Night House when I get the chance, it looks up my alley and Searchlight are reliable. Maybe it looked like some arthouse mind trap (not even from A24) to most folks.

I have seen five movies in a theater this year, more than most people have.

Overseas free guy only dropped around 20% with $112m ww! Paw patrol also wins with ww $21.5m.

Fast 9 hits $700m ww. Luca made $5m in china.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/free-gu...ce-1234819494/

Astonishing Member

Overseas free guy only dropped around 20% with $112m ww!
    Even just talking North America, there goes the notion about movies dropping huge every weekend out currently, as a matter of course.

Hopefully with the FDA's full vaccine approval things will continue to improve, even if just little by little.

Free Guy proves that parallel streaming availability is the biggest factor for the huge drops.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Sony at cinemacon torn wb and disney apart over the same day stunt! Yikes.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Free Guy proves that parallel streaming availability is the biggest factor for the huge drops.
    Seems like most movies that underperform at the box office also underperform on streaming. I can't think of any movie recently that has had huge streaming numbers but poor box office. Of course, it's hard to know all the data for streaming--but it seems when Warner or Disney have big streaming numbers they will release that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Seems like most movies that underperform at the box office also underperform on streaming.
    Mortal Kombat was a disappointment at the box office but had the biggest streaming viewership of all HBO Max movies to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I can't think of any movie recently that has had huge streaming numbers but poor box office.
    I can't think of any hybrid release that did great at the box office regardless of the streaming numbers.

GVK did good. Tom and jerry did good for it's time of release. Rest same day did bad or underproformed or did good then dropped like a rock second release.

GVK did good. Tom and jerry did good for it's time of release. Rest same day did bad or underproformed or did good then dropped like a rock second release.
    Godzilla vs Kong was only a hybrid release in the USA where it made only a comparably small chunk of its box office. In all markets except the USA it played exclusively in theaters and that's where it made the most money. It even started earlier in China than in the USA to prevent illegal copies from sabotaging the opening weekend in China.

Sony came out at cinemacon saying they are releasing films to theatres and thats what are for! (last three animated films removed from theatres and shoved to streaming.) Sony tears disney and wb apart however.

MGM came out and said they are for theatres! (addams family 2 going same day to vod.) Attack wb and disney same day!

WB came out at cinemacon and started talking about they are for theatres. They got laughed at! Later they talk about "dune should only be seen on the big screen!" They got laughed at. Lol.

Sony came out at cinemacon saying they are releasing films to theatres and thats what are for! (last three animated films removed from theatres and shoved to streaming.) Sony tears disney and wb apart however.

MGM came out and said they are for theatres! (addams family 2 going same day to vod.) Attack wb and disney same day!

WB came out at cinemacon and started talking about they are for theatres. They got laughed at! Later they talk about "dune should only be seen on the big screen!" They got laughed at. Lol.
    >Meanwhile No Way Home is a Disney Sony project that would not even happen without the deal

Say what you will about wb they at least were brave to show up.

Disney ran away. Marvel is showing shang chi but no disney event at all!