Page 74 of 420 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    People keep acting like 20 million dollar openings are good. None of these films are doing as wells they should. Day and date may be hurting theaters, but these companies are more interested in their bottom line. Disney raking in huge cash with streaming. Thats what they care about. Disney is increasing its subscriber base by 15 to 20 million every quarter. Thats 120 million in new revenue direct every quarter.

The share holders at Disney want to know about the bottom line. How a movie makes money doesn't concern them. Just that Disney is pulling in more revenue by streaming, and theme parks and merchandise. Thats what share holders want to know about.
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/257...pening-weekend

Candyman Kills It At The Box Office With A Great Opening Weekend
    Late August is not generally seen as a great release window, as it's typically a time when people are wrapping up summer vacations and parents are getting kids ready for the new school year. Candyman, however, was able to conjure up quite a bit of buzz (no pun intended) and translated that chatter into a $22.4 million win at the box office. That's a win by any standard too, as the top earner in the corresponding weekend in 2019 (a.k.a. pre-pandemic) was Ric Roman Waugh's Angel Has Fallen, which made $11.8 million in its opening weekend.
    Looking back on the last few weeks, the new horror movie brought in money comparable to both Shawn Levy's Free Guy, and James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, as they all landed in the $20-30 million range, but Candyman is easily the biggest success of the trio, and it all comes down to price tag. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Nia DaCosta's film was made for a budget of $25 million, which is nothing compared to the nine digit cost of the other two.

Of course, the elephant in the room that can't be ignored is that Candyman is also another 2021 release that didn't go with a hybrid release model, and is currently only available to watch in theaters. It's possible that it won't be immune from the deep second weekend plunge that a lot of other big releases have been experiencing in the last few months, including streaming and non-streaming titles alike, but there are also reasons to believe that it may end up showing some legs.

People keep acting like 20 million dollar openings are good. None of these films are doing as wells they should. Day and date may be hurting theaters, but these companies are more interested in their bottom line. Disney raking in huge cash with streaming. Thats what they care about. Disney is increasing its subscriber base by 15 to 20 million every quarter. Thats 120 million in new revenue direct every quarter.

The share holders at Disney want to know about the bottom line. How a movie makes money doesn't concern them. Just that Disney is pulling in more revenue by streaming, and theme parks and merchandise. Thats what share holders want to know about.
    As for this specifically...

- From the first to second quarter this year, D+ went from 94.9 to around 103.6. That's around 8.7.

- From the second quarter to the third quarter D+ went from 103.6 to around 116. That's around 12.4.

That's around half of fifteen million in one quarter, and less than fifteen million in the other. Never mind twenty million.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

You're still on this? In this time expectations are understandably lower and 20 million is as good as it gets...and there is literally no other argument that can be made that says otherwise.

Could they do better? Absolutely...and they will once people really start getting the shot and we finally turn the corner on COVID, but until then this is what movies will be making.

Astonishing Member

In addition to stuff already said, The Invisible Man (the last highly successful horror movie released before the pandemic closed all theaters on its face) debuted with 28 million last year. Candyman's opening weekend, in late August at that, is as good as it gets.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Hollywood right now does see $20m as good. In fact universal was praising candymans box office. Heck paramount bragged about paw patrols box office and it just now hit $20m.

Speaking of $20m free guy hits $24m in china. It's up to $155m ww.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=778ffe158574

Whatever Hollywood considers is ok by me. But movies opening at 25 million( unless its a low budget movie) is not good. But again its honestly not relevant. What matters is how many subscribers these streaming services get and if they can keep pumping out stuff that people want to subscribe for. If Disney has 116 million subscribers thats 928 million a month just in subscriber revenue. I mean thats mind boggling. You are talking in a few years they could be bringing in a billion or 2 billion a month. The movie theater stuff is barely relevant at that point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As for this specifically...

- From the first to second quarter this year, D+ went from 94.9 to around 103.6. That's around 8.7.

- From the second quarter to the third quarter D+ went from 103.6 to around 116. That's around 12.4.

That's around half of fifteen million in one quarter, and less than fifteen million in the other. Never mind twenty million.

I was averaging it out per quarter since they opened. Not the last quarter or two.

I was averaging it out per quarter since they opened. Not the last quarter or two.
    Perhaps you should have said that then, because the way you phrased it was very misleading.

About that...

The service starts up late 2019.

If you take the numbers from every quarter and divide it out evenly?

You don't even hit twelve million if you start from "Zero..."(never mind starting at the number from the end of the first quarter...)

Never mind getting anywhere between fifteen and twenty million.

If we're not around the corner on Covid come next year, would WB delay The Batman? Because that's the only movie I'm really anticipating for the next year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    About that...

The service starts up late 2019.

If you take the numbers from every quarter and divide it out evenly?

You don't even hit twelve million if you start from "Zero..."(never mind starting at the number from the end of the first quarter...)

Never mind getting anywhere between fifteen and twenty million.

I mean ok but thats still millions every quarter, and new markets are opening. Its on track to become the biggest streaming service in the world.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    If we're not around the corner on Covid come next year, would WB delay The Batman? Because that's the only movie I'm really anticipating for the next year.

Who knows. I mean anything is possible. They will probably just keep looking at how movies are doing and how covid is going. Its got to be a crazy business right now.

I mean ok but thats still millions every quarter, and new markets are opening. Its on track to become the biggest streaming service in the world.
    Why not just talk about how you think it's doing well in general terms then instead of using fake numbers?

Jungle cruise 2 confirmed a second movie is in the works. Disney lost money with it but thinks it was well liked and thinks a ip can come from it so they are rolling the dice on a part 2! Ironic thing is it's getting reported the one demand the rock has is THEATRE ONLY! No same day on disney plus for part 2!

And yes both main leads are returning as is the writer and director.

Disney is jumping all in on this ip!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Jungle cruise 2 confirmed a second movie is in the works. Disney lost money with it but thinks it was well liked and thinks a ip can come from it so they are rolling the dice on a part 2! Ironic thing is it's getting reported the one demand the rock has is THEATRE ONLY! No same day on disney plus for part 2!

And yes both main leads are returning as is the writer and director.

Disney is jumping all in on this ip!

I liked Jungle cruise. Could it have been better? Yea. I thought it followed a lot of the pirates formula but I think it was fun enough that it overcame that.

BANNED

https://www.mediaite.com/entertainme...-s-box-office/

Candyman Director Nia DaCosta Becomes First Black Woman to Top U.S. Box Office

When I saw this news I went WOW. It amazing that this is a first in 2021. Also it looks as if the movie is actually been praised for a lot of good film making choices. Congrats Nia.