Page 79 of 420 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Haven't got to watch Shang Chi yet as delta variant is pretty rampant in where I live. Can't watch it in Disney+ either since it isn't available in my country. It sucks but I'll have to wait quite a while to see the movie. That said I'm damn happy it's doing well in the box office. Going forward I'd like to see a lot more minorities in lead roles in the MCU and I hope this is proof enough for the top guys in suits at disney that it is important for the audience to see themselves represented on the big screen. Also this may sound weird but I'm happy China isn't releasing the movie. I don't wanna see Disney bending backwards in terms of representation just to appease chinese government.
    Last edited by Doom'nGloom; 09-07-2021 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Haven't got to watch Shang Chi yet as delta variant is pretty rampant in where I live. Can't watch it in Disney+ either since it isn't available in my country. It sucks but I'll have to wait quite a while to see the movie. That said I'm damn happy it's doing well in the box office. Going forward I'd like to see a lot more minorities in lead roles in the MCU and I hope this is proof enough for the top guys in suits at disney that it is important for the audience to see themselves represented on the big screen. Also this may sound weird but I'm happy China isn't releasing the movie. I don't wanna see Disney bending backwards in terms of representation just to appease chinese government.
    Shang Chi is not on Disney + yet, They are holding it back until October. One of the reasons for the good Box Office.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Shang Chi is not on Disney + yet, They are holding it back until October. One of the reasons for the good Box Office.
    Yeah but when it comes to Disney+ I can't watch it there as well. Guess I'll have to wait for the bluray. Good thing I don't mind spoilers too much. I read the entire plot of Endgame before I watched the movie.
    Last edited by Doom'nGloom; 09-07-2021 at 07:17 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You can go to the theater alone. I often do with movies my wife doesn't want to see.
    Sorry, that is not an option. I always bully people who go alone into a movie, so I can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Damn, and I have to wait for Disney to stream it, because no one of my friends is interested to see Shang chi in the theaters. This is the first Marvel movie where I cannot get one friend to watch it with me, even my oh so loyal wife told me: Nope!
    I don't plan to go to the theaters this year. There's interesting movies, but none worth the risk of getting covid right now in my opinion (I'm vaccinated and mask up, but so is my mom and she still caught a break through infection and spent a week or two sick, and weeks after that still not feeling back to normal - she's fine now, but I ain't going through that if I can help it).
    Only movie I would go to the theater for right now is maybe The Batman. Hopefully we'll have turned a corner by then...

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Also this may sound weird but I'm happy China isn't releasing the movie. I don't wanna see Disney bending backwards in terms of representation just to appease chinese government.
    I agree with this. Chinese people are like everyone else, mostly good with some ass hats thrown in. But the Chinese government? **** those guys. The way Hollywood kowtows to an authoritarian, imperialistic, human rights violating, 1984-esque police state (seriously, Orwell couldn't have dreamed up the surveillance state China's got going) is disturbing.

People on other forums and youtube are talking about having went to see shang chi 3 or 4 times and some plan to go back again! Reports of families and friends renting a full theatre to watch it also! Looks like people are going back to see it again. This could be like free guy and have strong legs.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I agree with this. Chinese people are like everyone else, mostly good with some ass hats thrown in. But the Chinese government? **** those guys. The way Hollywood kowtows to an authoritarian, imperialistic, human rights violating, 1984-esque police state (seriously, Orwell couldn't have dreamed up the surveillance state China's got going) is disturbing.
    Unfortunately China is one of Disney biggest markets. Capitalism will always stomp doing the right thing when it comes to business.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Unfortunately China is one of Disney biggest markets. Capitalism will always stomp doing the right thing when it comes to business.
    Truth, sad shameful truth. Which is part of why the future looks bleak. Especially for the country of Taiwan, which is a country, but won't be one before the century's out.

Astonishing Member

Updated top 8 looks like there is the mouse and then everyone else.

1 Black Widow Walt Disney $182,646,319 $80,366,312 4,275
    2 F9: The Fast Saga Universal $172,854,900 $70,043,165 4,203
    3 A Quiet Place: Part II Paramount… $160,072,261 $47,547,231 3,744
    4 Jungle Cruise Walt Disney $106,897,991 $35,018,731 4,310
    5 Godzilla vs. Kong Warner Bros. $100,563,133 $32,200,000 3,084
    6 Free Guy 20th Cent… $94,373,981 $28,365,416 4,165
    7 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Walt Disney $90,000,000 $75,500,000 4,300
    8 Cruella Walt Disney $86,082,790 $21,496,997 3,922

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Hate is one hell of a drug.
    Exactly.

It also proves something that Marvel has long known, but has yet to fully capitalize on: moviegoers are very eager to see “diverse” MCU films starring actors of color and featuring stories rooted in their cultural identities. When Ryan Coogler’s “Black Panther” arrived in theaters in 2018, the film smashed record after record — and, much like “Shang-Chi,” wildly exceeded even the most optimistic expectations. That shouldn’t have come as a surprise: Recent studies report that diverse films make more money at the box office, full stop.
    https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/sh...ms-1234662436/

Completely dispels the whole "get woke, go broke" lie.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Sorry, that is not an option. I always bully people who go alone into a movie, so I can't do it.
    You shall reap what you sow.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Hate is one hell of a drug.
    Its the way it is now a day. When something becomes popular a whole industry pops up around it to hate it. Hate sells. There is one comic book site which I shall not name that covers comic book movies. The whole site is basically people writing articles about how Marvel is woke and failing. Its crazy. Then all these other people write in and say its woke the movies are bombing. Its like these people who go after pro sports all day. Everything in their eyes is woke and failing.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Its the way it is now a day. When something becomes popular a whole industry pops up around it to hate it. Hate sells. There is one comic book site which I shall not name that covers comic book movies. The whole site is basically people writing articles about how Marvel is woke and failing. Its crazy. Then all these other people write in and say its woke the movies are bombing. Its like these people who go after pro sports all day. Everything in their eyes is woke and failing.
    I don't get these people. I'm not the biggest fan of the MCU and how everyone else feels like they have to copy them to compete - the MCU-ification of the cinematic landscape is wearing a little thin to me personally - but acting like they're not spinning film straw into gold is delusional in the extreme. I don't think there's anything else on the planet even close to MCU's level success. Even during a pandemic where someone can argue every film "fails" because of covid restrictions it's hard argue anything other than the fact that they're "failing" the least (assuming you're argument is that no movie is succeeding this year - I think there's been successes, and clearly this is an example).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't get these people. I'm not the biggest fan of the MCU and how everyone else feels like they have to copy them to compete - the MCU-ification of the cinematic landscape is wearing a little thin to me personally - but acting like they're not spinning film straw into gold is delusional in the extreme. I don't think there's anything else on the planet even close to MCU's level success. Even during a pandemic where someone can argue every film "fails" because of covid restrictions it's hard argue anything other than the fact that they're "failing" the least (assuming you're argument is that no movie is succeeding this year - I think there's been successes, and clearly this is an example).

Its just with internet now a days, anyone can set up a site hating something. And I honestly don't even know if they hate it. But like the other poster said Hate sells. This particular site I am talking about sets itself up like a typical comic entertainment site. But when you start reading through the article its obvious what it really is. They are not passionate about comic book movies. The entire site is set up around hating on them. And the comment board is basically Breibart except with people hating on the movies. Then they bring in all these other subjects that they are upset about or act upset about politically. Its bizarre.