Page 8 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I think he is just himself. I mean Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood never changed as well. Their acting (and others as well) were always the same, doesn't matter what kind of role they played.

Because they do not work otherwise. Imagine Clint Eastwood as Ace Ventura...:-)

Jim Carrey is the clown, but he can do tremendous stuff outside that, except the action hero. I wouldn't want to say Jim Carrey playing Rambo.

If you get my point
    Robert DeNiro had been typecast for decades for playing roles as hoods or mobsters, but he did a cool comedic turn in Meet The Parents.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I came across this article

Box Office: ‘Bloodshot’ Bombed Because Vin Diesel Isn’t A Movie Star

This is the king of horrible takes, The movie failed not because A. it was bad B. We are in middle of global pandemic but because the actor is not a box office draw. On the strength of what Fast and Furious and Superhero movies do in China it is silly to downplay how much Bloodshot was affected by not being able access that market. This is most close I have been telling writer they wrote a dumb article.

Bloodshot made 9 Million domestic and 15 million world wide. So it made 24 million. Bloodshot was projected for 10 million domestic opening by Sony and it made 9 million with virus limiting theaters
    While we'll never really know how Bloodshot would have performed, it should be mentioned that regardless of the pandemic, it debuted in third place domestically behind "Onward", which had already been out and "I Still Believe" - a faith-forward, based on real events movie about a christian singer (? I think that's what it's about...) Unless Christians and families were less concerned about the pandemic, that's still not a great sign.

Astonishing Member

Is Valiant Comics behind Bloodshot? I hope it doesn't the chances of me seeing Quantum & Woody on the big screen in the future!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Bloodshot is getting released on demand on March 24th
    https://twitter.com/thr/status/1240374080722948109?s=21

I feel this movie would have a better chance on this market than the box office. At least it got some box office money before making the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If I am going to watch a movie at home anyway. Why not wait a few months and get it for $5 instead of $20?
    I completely agree. I'm all for supporting cinema, but there has to be a more manageable price. For Invisible Man and The Hunt, my wife couldn't care less, so I would have gone solo and I will likely watch them by myself. So, the studio wants me to pay 4 times the price of a movie ticket (my main theater has $5 early shows every day) to see it not on a big screen? Yeah, definitely passing on that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Robert DeNiro had been typecast for decades for playing roles as hoods or mobsters, but he did a cool comedic turn in Meet The Parents.
    The question is does certain actor really want to play a different role?

Robert deNiro, I always thought he was a funny guy. But some actors not so much, they don't have the talent for that.

Retired

I don't know how much faith to put in IMDb's version of Box Office Mojo, but I'm astounded to see that on March 17th there were movies still playing and making money in the domestic market. Not much money, but still--this means there were actual physical theatres open just two days ago in North America. How can that be? Moreover, their list of theatres for each movie don't seem right. They have ONWARD playing in 4,310 theatres--surely this is the number from last week--I cannot believe it was anywhere near that number on Tuesday. In the United States, where people sue over trifles, the theatre owners would be taking a big risk if they stayed open and someone got sick.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There's going to be a shortage of new product eventually, since they can't put any movies into production and have to stop production on others.
    There are plenty of unreleased movies in various film vaults. They are not going to run out of stuff to toss out for the rest of the year.

Onward is getting released on Disney+ on April 3.
    https://twitter.com/disneyplus/statu...755418625?s=21

Another movie coming to digital/streaming early.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't know how much faith to put in IMDb's version of Box Office Mojo, but I'm astounded to see that on March 17th there were movies still playing and making money in the domestic market. Not much money, but still--this means there were actual physical theatres open just two days ago in North America. How can that be? Moreover, their list of theatres for each movie don't seem right. They have ONWARD playing in 4,310 theatres--surely this is the number from last week--I cannot believe it was anywhere near that number on Tuesday. In the United States, where people sue over trifles, the theatre owners would be taking a big risk if they stayed open and someone got sick.
    There are places in middle America that haven been hit yet. So smaller theaters probaly stayed open. The fox news/Rudh Limbaugh watching crowd thought this was all B.S to make Trump look bad not that long ago.

Wonder Woman 1984 will still open in theaters
    https://twitter.com/ign/status/1241088641037991946?s=21

Wonder Woman got pushed back to August
    https://twitter.com/ign/status/1242523339660447746?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I think he knows his strengths & wisely stays in his lane...for the most part (The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle).

Retired

I suggest looking through Robert De Niro's IMDb list--his career has been wide and varied (certainly in his prime)--he didn't get a reputation as his generation's greatest male actor for nothing.

I don't think I'll be sitting in a theatre when WW84 opens (if it really does open in August). Maybe in the USA big business will pry the doors open, regardless of public health, but here in Canada no one is saying that the crisis will be over soon--and it will take some time even after to return to business as usual.

I think WW84 should have just postponed to the same date next year for its grand opening.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I want to see WW84 in the cinema, too. I would rather wait a while longer for it, then see it on the telly