Page 84 of 420 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

It's interesting to see the instant cult status Malignant has accrued as it bombs in the box office. This used to take a few years to develop, but I suppose with social media and whatnot things happen faster. Even if it looses money at the beginning it'll make a profit eventually in merchandising: t-shirts, Gabriel yard figures (probably a Spirit Halloween exclusive), a mug emblazoned with the film's decorative murder weapon - all the things that movies like Trick 'R Treat and Killer Klowns From Outer Space (which were hardly given releases at first) have now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree the marketing of Malignant completely missed the point.

As for the film itself, I can see what Wan for going for but it didn’t work for me at all.
    Well that happens if you have folks who had NOTHING to do with the movie marketing your films.

It does happen.

Shang chi $21m and hits $300m ww. Only 39% drop and now this months second best third weekend for a movie behind it chapter 1.

Not so good news for clint. Average score reviews made people stay home and watch it on hbo max it looks like.

On the other hand smaller film copshop was able to crack the top 6.

Open Road’s Gerard Butler feature Cop Shop at 3,005 theaters pulled in $950K. The pic is expected to file $2.475M over three days. The pic has a glowing 80% from critics on RT, but didn’t impress audiences, with 62% positive and a 39% recommend on PostTrak. How much in P&A was spent here? Because this Open Road release is just under its pandemic release openings, Liam Neeson’s Honest Thief and The Marksman, which respectively debuted to $4.1M and $3.1M. Per theater grosses weren’t that strong, even with eight of the top ten runs coming from the West Coast. Those 54% over 35 showed up, as well as 34% over 45 with 60% guys leading and a diversity breakdown of 57% Caucasian, 18% Latino, 15% Black, and 10% Asian/other.
    https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-c...ce-1234839150/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Shang chi $21m and hits $300m ww. Only 39% drop and now this months second best third weekend for a movie behind it chapter 1.

Not so good news for clint. Average score reviews made people stay home and watch it on hbo max it looks like.

On the other hand smaller film copshop was able to crack the top 6.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-c...ce-1234839150/
    Third weekends are when the movie finally settles in at the box office and we can have a clearer idea of its final run. Looks like Shang chi may be the first film since the pandemic to make 200m domestic. No doubt 300m domestic would have been better, but I think Disney will still take this as a good fortune.

I wonder now if Eternals can do better, That movie has more American familiar faces like Hayek and Jolie and it is Christmas time.

Shang Chin as a really enjoyable movie and had a great buzz after it opened.
    I think The Eternals fate will rest on whether people like it. It's a more difficult property so we will have to see.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Venom is more popular than Shang-Chi, so his movie should do better. I am right?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Venom is more popular than Shang-Chi, so his movie should do better. I am right?
    That's not how it works, otherwise Spider-Man's movies would have been more successful than Iron Man 3 or Black Panther.

I doubt that Venom will beat Shang-Chi at the domestic box office, but if it gets a China release it could make more money worldwide, because Shang-Chi likely won't play in China.

Speaking of China, October release dates for Dune and No Time To Die have been confirmed, that's clearly good news for their box office prospects.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Venom was just okay to me. I was surprised it was a big a hit as it was. I think people have the expectation they will like MCU movies (since they have liked over 20 of them already) so this gives Shang Chi an advantage.
    I still wonder about The Eternals. For some reason I don't think it will be as good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Meanwhile Dune had a good start in the first 24 markets, but as I said that was practically a necessity.

Warner Bros/Legendary’s Dune has surpassed expectations, harvesting $36.8M at the international box office from just 24 markets in early release. The Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi epic was the top movie overseas this weekend, coming in with No. 1s in virtually all openings. In like–for-likes and at today’s rates, Dune is tracking 4% ahead of Tenet, 33% ahead of Black Widow, 52% ahead of Blade Runner 2049, 58% above Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings and 80% ahead of Godzilla Vs Kong.
    https://deadline.com/2021/09/dune-op...ce-1234839288/

Tenet ended its run with an international cume of 300 million, so that seems possible for Dune. Will be important how it'll be received in China.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Incredible Member

Just home from Dune. It’s fantastic and everything I had hoped for it to be. Go see it so we get the second part

I think it is cleverly done in a way that also people who didn’t read the books can enjoy it (my colleague who hasn’t read it also thought the movie was amazing). Cast, visuals, soundtrack (!), important story beats are all spot on.

Very happy and I hope the second part gets made. I will definitely go and see it again and I don’t do repeat viewings at the cinema often.
    Last edited by Foxy; 09-19-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Shang Chi vs Black Widow Box Office, Dune International Opening Weekend

$36m for dune in first few countries release.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...al-1235068120/

Dune,” the dazzling big-screen adaptation of Frank Herbert’s seminal sci-fi novel, ignited the international box office in its debut, collecting $35.8 million from 24 overseas markets. It’s a promising start given the hobbled state of moviegoing in many foreign territories amid the pandemic.

Directed by Denis Villeneuve and starring Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya and Oscar Isaac, “Dune” ranked No. 1 in most international markets and had the strongest turnout in Russia with $7.6 million from 2,100 screens, followed by France ($7.5 million from 892 screens), Germany ($4.9 million from 900 screens) and Italy ($2.6 million from 740 screens). Given its ambitious special effects, it’s no surprise that many audience members opted to watch “Dune” on premium screens. Imax accounted for $3.6 million of this weekend’s ticket sales, representing roughly 10% of the movie’s total box office revenues.

Will Dear Evan Hansen beat shang chi? Most think no. It doesn't help people are making fun of the main star playing a high school kid but looks like he is in the last year of collage! (many jokes making fun of this online.)

An opening weekend haul below $10 million isn’t ideal for any major studio release. However, “Dear Evan Hansen” carries a modest $28 million production budget, meaning it doesn’t need to sell as many tickets to turn a profit. That’s good news, because the film has been skewered by critics (it has a 43% on Rotten Tomatoes), many of whom criticized the plot and the decision to cast the 27-year-old Platt as a high school teenager.

The Marvel comic book adaptation, starring Simu Liu and Awkwafina, has been a reliable draw in recent weeks and has easily ruled over the competition for the last three weekends in a row. Should “Shang-Chi” see a decline comparable to recent weeks, it should collect another $10 million to $12 million between Friday and Sunday.

So far, “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” has generated $178 million in North America. After this weekend, it looks to dethrone “Black Widow” and its $182 million in domestic ticket sales as the year’s highest-grossing movie.
    https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...hi-1235071311/

The real fireworks will be oct 1 with the saints of newmark, venom 2 and addams family 2 all out on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Will Dear Evan Hansen beat shang chi? Most think no. It doesn't help people are making fun of the main star playing a high school kid but looks like he is in the last year of collage! (many jokes making fun of this online.)

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...hi-1235071311/

The real fireworks will be oct 1 with the saints of newmark, venom 2 and addams family 2 all out on the same day.
    I'm not interested in any of those enough to risk the theater. Venom 2 I'll get on blu though.

The film I might go back to the theater for is Halloween Kills. It looks pretty good, and I enjoyed the last one a couple years back (saw it on satellite before I cut the cord, might see where it's streaming and give it a rewatch soon...).