Page 9 of 420 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Universal has just screwed up big time! Movie chains are ticked at universal over trolls 2 breaking the movie rules without telling them. All the other studios asked them if they can release them early and they gave them their blessing. Universal told them 25 min before announcing it and unlike the other films, this film never got a big screen release yet!

The movie chains head is "we will not forget this!"

So universal bit the hand that feeds them! Universal may end up having to give the chains more of the profits from their films or get less screens and other things.

Really bad move universal.

On the other hand we got some great bad troll puns in the comments of that video!

You could say Universal “Trolled” them...

Astonishing Member

Are they really fighting over what was going to be a box office bust in Trolls 2?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Are they really fighting over what was going to be a box office bust in Trolls 2?
    Theaters from my understanding have to pick and choose what films they will show.

The film that get tossed out on Netflix or whatever-are making it easier for theaters.

Wonder Woman 84 has been pushed back to August. For a theater what film slated for August gets dumped or pushed?

Because I think they have to pick those film rather early.

The bigger the movie the HIGHER chance a film is going to get taken out.

Honestly would you push back Trolls 2 to a date and suddenly find out your competition for that week is NOT say Candyman by himself Black Widow, James Bond, WW 84 & Candyman?

That is a bloodbath in the making for Troll 2.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I expected the first movie to be bust but it was successful enough for this sequel to exist. Being a family film it could have make a decent amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I expected the first movie to be bust but it was successful enough for this sequel to exist. Being a family film it could have make a decent amount of money.
    I am guessing pretty much any family film will do well no matter how bad it is just because people have been stuck in the house so long with the kids they are eager to get out of the house and do something.

‘Artemis Fowl’ Will Skip Theatrical Release and Debut on Disney Plus

Hilariously New Mutants isn't on the schedule as yet,Proving that that movie is cursed

Considering the reception to the trailer, this is probably a smart move.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    ‘Artemis Fowl’ Will Skip Theatrical Release and Debut on Disney Plus

Hilariously New Mutants isn't on the schedule as yet,Proving that that movie is cursed
    Cursed or blessed? I hope Disney does hold out for a theatrical release. I think that, like a fine wine, NEW MUTANTS will improve with age. It could be a must see movie, a chance for us to revisit those actors when they were so young and fresh-faced and we were all so innocent. I'm already nostalgic for the 2010s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Cursed or blessed? I hope Disney does hold out for a theatrical release. I think that, like a fine wine, NEW MUTANTS will improve with age. It could be a must see movie, a chance for us to revisit those actors when they were so young and fresh-faced and we were all so innocent. I'm already nostalgic for the 2010s.
    I can't wait to go back to the theater like it's 1999, not even extremely demanding right now.

Can only wonder what movie will be the lucky first to go back to. New Mutants would be more than fine, I was already curious.

And amc just banned all universal films for breaking their contract with trolls. To lift the ban universal may be shelling out more cash!

Also while wsj reported trolls 2 did great vod, it turns out it's not true and universal has made a big loss from the film.

So yeah, not sure how worth it this was for universal. Plus all they had to do was ask to get out of contact for trolls before like wb did scoob and none of this would have happened.

https://www.cbr.com/amc-theatres-ban...ms-trolls-vod/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And amc just banned all universal films for breaking their contract with trolls. To lift the ban universal may be shelling out more cash!

Also while wsj reported trolls 2 did great vod, it turns out it's not true and universal has made a big loss from the film.

So yeah, not sure how worth it this was for universal. Plus all they had to do was ask to get out of contact for trolls before like wb did scoob and none of this would have happened.

You beat me to this. I was going to make a catfight thread to describe the situation lol.

I'm in complete agreement with you that I think Universal screwed themselves by not just doing simple courtesy like wb and Disney did with moving their films to streaming.
    Personally, I didn't care much for Trolls World Tour after watching it because it just wasn't that good. My little 5 year old nephew didn't care for it because there wasn't anything about it that captured him. The music wasn't bad but it wasn't good for kids as many songs didn't have good hooks that he could remember and sing along to. This film was a miss imo.

Additionally, I didn't like the $20 price tag to rent it. I can see that price point being okay for some films but not others and see Universal struggling with many people because of it in a longterm strategy.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

According to this Trolls 2 in VoD made more money than the original movie theatrical run
    https://www.ign.com/articles/trolls-...ws-for-cinemas

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    According to this Trolls 2 in VoD made more money than the original movie theatrical run
    https://www.ign.com/articles/trolls-...ws-for-cinemas
    The problem that I think Universal is failing to realize is that these numbers are possibly the way they are because of the current economic condition that people are forced to be at home. Would they have had the same success if the conditions were different and people were able to leave their house and have access to different forms of entertainment? We don't know yet and it comes across as a poor tactic to jump head first into something that doesn't have a lot of data behind it to be a proven distribution method that can make back a film's budget outside of lockdown conditions.

And it was confirmed by others after that it was not as big a hit as they are saying. Plus there is paying the streaming apps and all the money they spent on trailers and mcdonalds toys and clothes they have to pay back.

Universal will lose more then it will gain and now has to deal with a ban. The other movie chains may follow after. Universal may have to pay some extra cash to the chains to make up for this. Plus universal did break a contract. They could get a lawsuit if the chains want to!

With that said i'm sure they will make up later. Can't see them not releasing Jurassic park on amc.