Page 92 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It didn't need to be French actors...just not a couple of guys that are a little too high profile and often come off as just playing themselves. Damon and Affleck really have to do a lot for me not to see them as themselves and this wasn't it. The trailers just felt like SNL sketches to me with how out of place they looked.
    I'll have to see it first to be sure. I see what you're saying, but sometimes for me a movie can be good enough otherwise for me to overlook that

Retired

All this negative talk about THE LAST DUEL made me rush out to see it today--cheapskate Tuesday. Otherwise, I might have waited to see it on streaming.

As far as being taken out of the movie by the modern dialogue or whatever--well it wasn't that modern, except at the middle in the Ben Affleck part. But the Matt Damon part at the beginning sticks close to the atmosphere of most historical epics. And it's not like rape is a new thing--it's been happening for thousands of years.

By the end, my heart was racing, my emotions were high, I was on the edge of my seat--as if my life depended on the outcome. Would I have had the same experience at home? I don't know. Something about seeing it in a theatre, I think, made it much more immersive.

Besides the Fox deal, one good reason for releasing it now, I imagine, is so it has a chance at award nominations. Movies released before the fall, don't seem to get nominations. And releasing it in November or December, would put it up against too much competition. Maybe the soft box office will work against it, but I hope it gets several nominations. It deserves them

As far as seeing Affleck and Damon in these roles--that's one of the big selling features. Yes, you know that they're who they are, but that's why you enjoy seeing them. The associations they bring with them inform the characters they play. Just as that creepy not-handsome guy--who I love to hate--brings an association with him. And Jodie Comer brings an association with her. Sometimes movies cast known actors for that reason.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Historical films have not done well the last 2 decades. We have seen many big budget failures that just didn't do well. In fact we can run down a list of them.

- K19 : The Widowmaker (2002)
    - Windtalkers (2002)
    - Gods & Generals (2003)
    - Alexander (2004)
    - The Alamo (2004)
    - Ben Hur (2016)
    - King Arthur : Legend of the Sword (2017)
    - Robin Hood (2018)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Historical films have not done well the last 2 decades. We have seen many big budget failures that just didn't do well. In fact we can run down a list of them.

- K19 : The Widowmaker (2002)
    - Windtalkers (2002)
    - Gods & Generals (2003)
    - Alexander (2004)
    - The Alamo (2004)
    - Ben Hur (2016)
    - King Arthur : Legend of the Sword (2017)
    - Robin Hood (2018)

There have been a few that have done well. 1917 comes to mind, Dunkirk I think did well. And some others. But your right most don't. There is alot of good historical drama being done, for the small screen. I just don't think, movies like the Last Duel no matter how good they are really are going to make any money in this day and age.

Retired

This day and age being a worldwide deadly pandemic.

-dune made $5.1m thurs. No word on rons gone wrong yet.

I saw Dune on HBO Max. I have no desire to see it in a theater. It is a quality film, but it lacks a rousing ending. It won't do better than James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Movies that appeal mostly to an older audience, which hasn't yet returned to the theaters, are going to continue to struggle.

For me personally, I had a hard time accepting Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in a historical drama set in medieval France so that killed a lot of interest.
    So does Damon & Affleck have good French accents or do they sound like longshoremen arguing in Boston harbor? Y'know like how they regularly talk?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I saw Dune on HBO Max. I have no desire to see it in a theater. It is a quality film, but it lacks a rousing ending. It won't do better than James Bond.
    Better than the original, though, right?

$39m for dune it looks like.

Rons gone wrong expected to make $7m to $12m. With addams family 2 making making $18m first week that's a ouch.

Halloween kills getting a 70 drop and around $14.23m. Bad reviews and same day on peacock are getting blamed.

French Dispatch made $550,000 on Friday from 52 theaters, heading for a projected weekend of $1.62 million.

No word on howls moving castles rerelease but spirited aways did really well.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...on-1235096160/

Next week my hero academia 3 (last film hit first place at the american box office), last night in soho and antlers comes out.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-23-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Better than the original, though, right?
    The original is the book, these are pale images passing through a lantern that give a faint impression of the book.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The original is the book, these are pale images passing through a lantern that give a faint impression of the book.
    Haha, I meant the original movie. It absolutely sucked!

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Haha, I meant the original movie. It absolutely sucked!
    I know and it did. I refuse to acknowledge either film as a meaningful adaptation.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    $39m for dune it looks like.

Rons gone wrong expected to make $7m to $12m. With addams family 2 making making $18m first week that's a ouch.

Halloween kills getting a 70 drop and around $14.23m. Bad reviews and same day on peacock are getting blamed.

French Dispatch made $550,000 on Friday from 52 theaters, heading for a projected weekend of $1.62 million.

No word on howls moving castles rerelease but spirited aways did really well.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...on-1235096160/

Next week my hero academia 3 (last film hit first place at the american box office), last night in soho and antlers comes out.
    Halloween Kills was so stupid.

It was kind of fun but it's so unintelligent.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    There have been a few that have done well. 1917 comes to mind, Dunkirk I think did well. And some others. But your right most don't. There is alot of good historical drama being done, for the small screen. I just don't think, movies like the Last Duel no matter how good they are really are going to make any money in this day and age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    This day and age being a worldwide deadly pandemic.
    I don't think it would have done any better in non-Pandemic times. The story itself is 600+ years old and not very well known. It also played up a potential rape aspect. Even though in reading up no one knows for sure if that happened or not.

The funniest deal was seeing people attack the film for being "woke" without realizing the story is based on real situation hundreds of years ago. That is how we are in today's era where a film telling a story of a woman assaulted then (in reality no one knows if it happened) is somehow woke today. Just ...wild.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.