Page 93 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I don't think it would have done any better in non-Pandemic times. The story itself is 600+ years old and not very well known. It also played up a potential rape aspect. Even though in reading up no one knows for sure if that happened or not.

The funniest deal was seeing people attack the film for being "woke" without realizing the story is based on real situation hundreds of years ago. That is how we are in today's era where a film telling a story of a woman assaulted then (in reality no one knows if it happened) is somehow woke today. Just ...wild.
    You are woke for even saying woke.

Venom 2 hits $300m.

Bond hits $500m ww.

Dune will hit $200m ww sunday.

Dune makes $40.1m. With it on hbo max free next week's box office is expected to drop like the others did that are not called gvk. Plus it's got to go up against my hero 3 and eternals in the next two weeks. Both are theatres only films and aimed at the same crowd.

Ron did have something wrong hitting 5th place at a awful $7m. Unlike paw patrol with a small budget this one had a bigger budget so this hurts it. Funny thing is it is getting good reviews. Family films are not doing well but again addams 2 did well even with vod same day and even with the small box office paw patrol is still seen as a win by paramount and they are talking about another film. Scoob did well and scoob 2 is in the works so they can do well. Guess the ads just didn't get that many to see it. Encanto is up next month.

Also monster family 2 didn't even make to top 5 but are we really shocked about that one. Did they even have ads for that film on tv?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ax-1235036020/

Also--

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...rd-1235035947/

In a win for the arthouse market, Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch posted the top opening theater average of the pandemic era.

The Searchlight Pictures movie grossed $1.3 million from 52 cinemas in 14 U.S. markets, or $25,000 per location. The previous best three-day opening weekend average of the pandemic era belonged to Venom: Let There Be Carnage ($21,309) and, before that, Black Widow ($19,400).

Before the COVID-19 crisis, the opening performance of a specialty or indie film was judged by its location average since these titles started off in a small number of sites. An average of $75,000 or above was considered a big win, while anything north of $100,000 was reserved for an elite few.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-24-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Venom won't catch Shang-Chi, but will beat Black Widow.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Venom won't catch Shang-Chi, but will beat Black Widow.
    That was certainly my feeling from the start, with all these movies coming out this month Venom was going to see its sales get chipped away at each week after its debut. Still, it's a very strong showing especially during the pandemic.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Retired

Seeing trailers for THE ETERNALS and WEST SIDE STORY in the movie theatre, the name of the director for each appears in large font, but I never saw "Jack Kirby" for ETERNALS or "Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim" for WEST SIDE STORY. Their names may appear in the jumble of names at the end of each trailer--but they weren't featured.

To me that ETERNALS is a Jack Kirby concept and that WEST SIDE STORY has the songs and music of Bernstein and Sondheim IS the major thing. It's like a trailer for HAMLET that doesn't give William Shakespeare prominent display or a trailer for OKLAHOMA that doesn't feature the names of Rogers and Hammerstein.

Well japan box office for dune and rons gone wrong are out. Rom hit 9th place there! Ouch! Dune did alittle better but is 7th place. Dune is no match for the 30th pretty cure movie with 170m yen.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...sive-no1-debut

Also there a daughter of lupin the 3rd movie? Didn't know lupin had a daughter.

Daughter of Lupin I don't think has any connection to the Lupin III anime apart from the title and referring to the French character.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

To me that ETERNALS is a Jack Kirby concept and that WEST SIDE STORY has the songs and music of Bernstein and Sondheim IS the major thing. It's like a trailer for HAMLET that doesn't give William Shakespeare prominent display or a trailer for OKLAHOMA that doesn't feature the names of Rogers and Hammerstein.
    I don't disagree, but I would have the following thoughts:

1. Is Kirby well known to general audiences? (I guess you can make the argument it doesn't matter)

2. The inspiration to the movie seems to be the Gaiman Eternals, would it be false advertising to use Kirby's name but make the movie on a slightly different interpretation?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I don't disagree, but I would have the following thoughts:

1. Is Kirby well known to general audiences? (I guess you can make the argument it doesn't matter)

2. The inspiration to the movie seems to be the Gaiman Eternals, would it be false advertising to use Kirby's name but make the movie on a slightly different interpretation?
    From what I've heard Kirby is solely credited as the creator in the movie and it takes more from his ideas than Gaiman.

Guess wb was happy with dune. They just greenlighted dune 2.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Guess wb was happy with dune. They just greenlighted dune 2.
    Will it be called 2ne?

Better late then never. This gets a theatre release at last.

https://collider.com/the-mitchells-v...-release-date/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Better late then never. This gets a theatre release at last.

https://collider.com/the-mitchells-v...-release-date/
    That was a fun movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Box office news----

Venom 2 has passed black widow.

My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising expected to not do as well as the last two at $5m to $10m in america.

Bond comes in first in china.

Ghostbusters afterlife predicting $45m to $65m.

Jungle cruise oked for china release.