Page 95 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That doesn't sound right. Spectre made $880 million. Why would they make a movie that had to beat that just to make a profit.

Also rule of thumb is twice the budget is break even.
    It wasn't planned to have such a high budget. The production had troubles long before covid hit. Danny Boyle was set to direct but then had to get replaced, which led to a delay of the production. Then Daniel Craig got injured during filming and the production was further delayed, leading to higher costs.

Furthermore the marketing cost is pretty high due to the repeated delays. I don't know how many marketing campaigns they started and then the release date got moved due to covid and they had to start the ad campaigns from scratch.

On top of that it was reported that they had to reshoot some expensive action scenes because the product placement partners insisted that the movie has to showcase current models and not those that were used when the film was supposed to come out.

All that led to a much higher budget than they initially planned.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Thanks for the info chicago.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Disney itself in 2019 was handed a run of box office bombs as we saw from Fox when they bought the studio. It was more fun to watch Disney release say ....Ad Astra , Dark Phoenix and others seeing bomb after bomb. You would sit and wonder...who the f-ck approved these movies at Fox ? Anyhow the one film Disney took a hand in during production after it was started by Fox and they came in was....FREE GUY.

It appears Free Guy was the best performing 20th Century Fox film released since Alita Battle Angel and likely had there not been a pandemic....would have done $400-500 million possibly.

I mean I give props for Disney releasing these films when its clear they were just not gonna do well. But you have to think Disney every time one was released was thinking..."Ok we have Dark Phoenix coming....this one is gonna do at least $500-700+ million worldwide. F-------k !!! "
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Bond hits $600m ww.

Venom 2 hits $400m ww.

Dune heading to $300m ww.

Addams 2 up to $82m.

Paw patrol $128.1M.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time...ce-1234865457/

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Disney itself in 2019 was handed a run of box office bombs as we saw from Fox when they bought the studio. It was more fun to watch Disney release say ....Ad Astra , Dark Phoenix and others seeing bomb after bomb. You would sit and wonder...who the f-ck approved these movies at Fox ? Anyhow the one film Disney took a hand in during production after it was started by Fox and they came in was....FREE GUY.

It appears Free Guy was the best performing 20th Century Fox film released since Alita Battle Angel and likely had there not been a pandemic....would have done $400-500 million possibly.

I mean I give props for Disney releasing these films when its clear they were just not gonna do well. But you have to think Disney every time one was released was thinking..."Ok we have Dark Phoenix coming....this one is gonna do at least $500-700+ million worldwide. F-------k !!! "
    Dark Phoenix was doomed with it being one part and the trailers mostly spoiling the plot.

Eternals makes $7.6m ww in it's first few countries.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...ay-1235104898/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 11-04-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Eternals makes $7.6m ww in it's first few countries.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...ay-1235104898/
    I've been reading that Eternals is not going to going to release in a number of countries because of the gay characters.

There's a religious element in the movie too that's pissing off censors in some territories.

I guess all this is is going really dampen its international box office prospects.

Retired

Not being serious, just joking around, but I wonder if studios have considered releasing their movies in shortened form--kind of like "Quibi" (I also remember there was a platform that plays shortened versions of songs). They could cut their movies down to under an hour--take out any offensive bits--and the shortened run time would allow more showings per day. They could release these in any markets where the longer version would not be allowed. And then the longer version would have its own mystique--causing people to pay more to get the uncut movie through other means.

I remember, a very long time ago, hearing there was a showing of SOUND OF MUSIC to Japanese audiences with all the songs cut out--because, the songs are all in English and don't advance the story, and the movie isn't so long when you take them out. I heard this second hand, so I don't know if it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I've been reading that Eternals is not going to going to release in a number of countries because of the gay characters.

There's a religious element in the movie too that's pissing off censors in some territories.

I guess all this is is going really dampen its international box office prospects.
    Not being released in China as well?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Not being released in China as well?
    This will be the 3rd Marvel Studio movie not to be released in China this year.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

I just noticed the top 3 domestic movies are all marvel movies or movies based on marvel characters. I mean down year or not this is still pretty impressive. The brand is gold.

Chances are high that the domestic top 5 of 2021 will consist of five Marvel movies as Spider-Man: No Way Home will be the biggest movie of the year by far and Eternals should at least beat F9's 173 million. As I don't see any upcoming movie reaching these numbers a Marvel only top 5 is very likely.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Eternals made $20m in two days ww. Thursday in america made $9.5m.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternal...el-1234867961/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Yeah I forgot about that. Eternals pretty much has the origins of Humanity/The Universe that aren't in line with regular religions and that would definitely be problematic to a lot of places...

Eternals may be heading to a $70m box office.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternal...ce-1234868870/

Snakes eyes a bust in china. Ironic a week after bond did well there.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=3908a9b75e41