Page 98 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Thats still better than every other movie in the states this year except for the other Marvel films. So you are judging it against the other marvel films. Shang Chi is 1, Venom is 2 and Black Widow is 3. Sure Black Widow would have made more if not released on Disney plus. But it still will probably end up 4th and its doing better than the other films worldwide. The only other movie this year that will pass it is another marvel film spider-man.
    The pandemic sure has changed some things and films we saw earlier in year did badly and some were saved by streaming due to that. But were now getting to the end of that situation. The studios are releasing films on 45 day windows and no longer part streaming to earn money back. To write it off. Suicide Squad was saved by the streaming situation as Warner Media could do that back in summer as we saw. Warner Media seemed to write off their entire film slate as we know.

If there was worries about pandemic , Disney would have done Premier Access with this and Shang-Chi. They didn't because they are starting to get back to normal with releases.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Eternals is doing well.
    INTERNATIONAL it's ahead of shang chi and black widow on thier second weekend and could make over 230m.
    Right now it's at $162,600,000.
    It's not a flop.

I think again your ignoring the overseas picture. Believing Marvel gets all of the money and its great. That isn't exactly how it goes at times. And right now as brought up...the film opened 2+ weeks ago in 43 markets and has 3 others left.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The pandemic sure has changed some things and films we saw earlier in year did badly and some were saved by streaming due to that. But were now getting to the end of that situation. The studios are releasing films on 45 day windows and no longer part streaming to earn money back. To write it off. Suicide Squad was saved by the streaming situation as Warner Media could do that back in summer as we saw. Warner Media seemed to write off their entire film slate as we know.

If there was worries about pandemic , Disney would have done Premier Access with this and Shang-Chi. They didn't because they are starting to get back to normal with releases.

I think again your ignoring the overseas picture. Believing Marvel gets all of the money and its great. That isn't exactly how it goes at times. And right now as brought up...the film opened 2+ weeks ago in 43 markets and has 3 others left.

We are not getting to the end of anything. The pandemic is getting worse again. So once again, its doing better than every other movie released this year except the other marvel movies. And most likely would be in the same position pandemic or no pandemic. Its an original movie, with characters literally no one knows, and its still doing better than every other movie this year. Except for the other 3 Marvel comics movies. If you would have asked me prior to these movies released do you think Eternals will do better than Shang Chi, Black Widow or Venom? I would have said no. So its doing about whats I expected. And a little better worldwide than I expected.

Extraordinary Member

This was posted below in THREAD: ETERNALS MCU APPRECIATION 2021

Here is another point of view.

ThgzNdHgz2 quote-
    ETERNALS was never meant to be a sure "blockbuster." All indications point to Marvel/MCU/Kevin Feige overloading Eternals for the purpose of being a key movie to reference in the MCU future as it will be a SIGNIFICANT movie to Phase 4-5.
    The story of the MCU Celestials-Eternals-Deviants opens up the cosmic storyline with Galactus/Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, Abstract Entities, and possibly FF, mutants, and - yes - Infinity Stones origin.
    Fiege is a brilliant Master Psychological Strategist. He is a phenomenon beyond the best of Hollywood producers. Expect 100+ of Easter eggs imbedded in Eternals that will hatch in upcoming MCU and add lore to previous MCU. I have learned NEVER to underestimate "FIEGIOLOGY" long-term cohesive focus imbedded in each MCU movie and TV shows.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-2021/page18

Extraordinary Member

Eternals will get over 400 million and could get to closer to 450m.
    Anyway 400m- 450 million.
    Not a flop.

We are not getting to the end of anything. The pandemic is getting worse again. So once again, its doing better than every other movie released this year except the other marvel movies. And most likely would be in the same position pandemic or no pandemic. Its an original movie, with characters literally no one knows, and its still doing better than every other movie this year. Except for the other 3 Marvel comics movies. If you would have asked me prior to these movies released do you think Eternals will do better than Shang Chi, Black Widow or Venom? I would have said no. So its doing about whats I expected. And a little better worldwide than I expected.

Warner Media , Disney and others have worked deals with AMC and Marquee theaters going to full 45 day windows starting in 2022. The theaters are moving to this and its gonna be a step for now til 2023 as we can imagine they may go to 60 day windows then. But for now its gonna go to 45 days. The streaming duel releasing is gonna be ending. They are gonna push for people to go to theaters as they feel pandemic is now enough for theaters to get a big push again.

Pointing at Eternals and going "its in top 10..." well sure that is nice. But it doesn't mean its gonna be successful. (unless it does a huge overseas amount in next 2-3 weeks)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Astonishing Member

Warner Media , Disney and others have worked deals with AMC and Marquee theaters going to full 45 day windows starting in 2022. The theaters are moving to this and its gonna be a step for now til 2023 as we can imagine they may go to 60 day windows then. But for now its gonna go to 45 days. The streaming duel releasing is gonna be ending. They are gonna push for people to go to theaters as they feel pandemic is now enough for theaters to get a big push again.

Pointing at Eternals and going "its in top 10..." well sure that is nice. But it doesn't mean its gonna be successful. (unless it does a huge overseas amount in next 2-3 weeks)

But its not going to do top 10. Its going to do top 5. And the other four above it are going to be marvel movies.

But its not going to do top 10. Its going to do top 5. And the other four above it are going to be marvel movies.
    It could end up top 5 and still...be a box office bomb as Forbes a week ago pointed out after the opening weekend box office.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=5b4f30847e8a

Forbes is believing the film could possibly go 2 directions. If the word of mouth doesn't hurt the film it could do $391+ million worldwide in total. That is one expectation. It also if it goes a bit worse could end up at $331+ million worldwide possibly in one estimate as its possible. So right now the big figures will be around $331-391 million. And it didn't do well for them and ranks as possibly as low as Hulk that was done in late 2000's.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Eternals will get over 400 million and could get to closer to 450m.
    Anyway 400m- 450 million.
    Not a flop.
    Yeah, Eternals is doing pretty well especially worldwide.

In the pandemic era and without China, it's doing about as well as expected.

If it closes between $400m-$450m, then it's done fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, Eternals is doing pretty well especially worldwide.

In the pandemic era and without China, it's doing about as well as expected.

If it closes between $400m-$450m, then it's done fine.

And if it doesn't do $400-450 Million then what ?

Because again ignoring some facts that it could not do that well and even has Forbes giving a few estimates of how it could go on estimates of $331-391+ million worldwide.

For the movies with the top 5 opening weekends, Eternals had the 2nd best hold at 61%. only Shang-chi did better at 54%. Widow, F9, and Venom all had steeper drops 2nd weekend. Granted, Widow would've likely had less drop off if not for the release on D+

Seems like its just the current norm for even popular blockbusters to have drops in the 60-70 range, either that or you could argue that outside of Shang-Chi this year's blockbusters haven't really stacked up well against previous years offerings.

It seems silly to try to compare box office this year against other movies from 2019 or earlier, just apples and oranges. Even comparisons to other movies for 2021 are a bit tricky as so many were released on streaming services earlier than they would have been normally.

Its fine to say Eternals may not make its budget back, i just question whether that is really the mark of a successful blockbuster in 2021. True, it is not sustainable for studios to keep producing movies that lose money but this year comes with an asterisk. I would not be surprised to see them announce a sequel as the movie basically ends with them continuing on another adventure which will certainly impact the wider mcu. But even without a sequel, marvel will certainly continue the story in some fashion and furthermore will likely take the most well-received characters and have them start showing up in other mcu franchises.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    For the movies with the top 5 opening weekends, Eternals had the 2nd best hold at 61%. only Shang-chi did better at 54%. Widow, F9, and Venom all had steeper drops 2nd weekend. Granted, Widow would've likely had less drop off if not for the release on D+

Seems like its just the current norm for even popular blockbusters to have drops in the 60-70 range, either that or you could argue that outside of Shang-Chi this year's blockbusters haven't really stacked up well against previous years offerings.

It seems silly to try to compare box office this year against other movies from 2019 or earlier, just apples and oranges. Even comparisons to other movies for 2021 are a bit tricky as so many were released on streaming services earlier than they would have been normally.

Its fine to say Eternals may not make its budget back, i just question whether that is really the mark of a successful blockbuster in 2021. True, it is not sustainable for studios to keep producing movies that lose money but this year comes with an asterisk. I would not be surprised to see them announce a sequel as the movie basically ends with them continuing on another adventure which will certainly impact the wider mcu. But even without a sequel, marvel will certainly continue the story in some fashion and furthermore will likely take the most well-received characters and have them start showing up in other mcu franchises.

All true. And I have said this before, its really a different ball game for these companies with streaming. This is a whole new revenue area for them. A company like Disney has 118 million subscribers, at 9 dollars a piece or whatever. Thats a billion dollars a month. Box office money is nice but thats not even where the real money is being made right now. If people just try and put this in context with how Disney thinks Eternals is another product in a long line that will keep or expand their subscriber base. Thats whats important. A show like Mandalorian costs a lot of money and never was in the movie theater. Its financed by the studio to bring in Disney plus subscribers. It made no money at the box office. Box office is fun to look at and debate over but long term its not what matters to a company like Disney.

Ultimate Member

And if it doesn't do $400-450 Million then what ?

Because again ignoring some facts that it could not do that well and even has Forbes giving a few estimates of how it could go on estimates of $331-391+ million worldwide.
    Yes, it could fall below that. But at this point, it seems to be doing ok.

The Forbes article was before the second weekend and the film didn't have a massive drop-off that Mendelson was possibly talking about.

And it's not on D+ yet, so it might not have the worldwide drop-off that BW did.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

This is the main question for me. Eternals is running similarly to F9 in US/Canada box office, so far. It was a couple million ahead of that pace yesterday but will lose ground today because F9 had a holiday today. I'd like the top 5 movies to be Marvel characters. In relative terms, finishing as the fifth biggest film of the year in the US/Canada is equal to Captain Marvel and Deadpool 2, better than Far from Home and Ant-Man and Wasp.

As for profitability, that's for Disney to figure out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    This is the main question for me. Eternals is running similarly to F9 in US/Canada box office, so far. It was a couple million ahead of that pace yesterday but will lose ground today because F9 had a holiday today. I'd like the top 5 movies to be Marvel characters. In relative terms, finishing as the fifth biggest film of the year in the US/Canada is equal to Captain Marvel and Deadpool 2, better than Far from Home and Ant-Man and Wasp.

As for profitability, that's for Disney to figure out.

Well I think it could pass F9. Although I think there are some other big movies coming this year as well that could pass it. Isn't John Wick this year?

Retired

The way U.S. youtubers pronounce ETERNALS in their box office talk, it almost sounds like they're saying E-Turtles. That would be a completely different franchise.