Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Harley Quinn animated series appreciation thread!

I'm surprised we don't seem to have one of these. I'm really loving the show on DCUniverse - Lake Bell is one of my favorite actresses, and she does a fantastic job as Ivy. Kaley Cuoco is magnificent as Harley - taking just enough from the Conner/Palmiotti run, but not going as far into the "can't take her emotionally seriously enough to care" territory as that run (and the new Birds of Prey film) take it. The supporting cast is wonderful - Alan Tudyk as Clayface, and Kite Man (Hell yeah!)

All in all, I just think there should be more appreciation for this gem of a show. Anyone else enjoying it?

Hilarious announcement trailer:

"We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I love that they use Dr Psycho and keep hin in character as a misogynistic POS. Sy Borgman is awesome as is all the weird deepcuts like Jason Praxis.

Mighty Member

Two words.

Hell yeah!
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Kite man and Ivy I never thought they would be my faves but here we are
    The show does a good job of showcasing c and d list characters.

The show has done a great job with Ivy, to the point where she has stolen the spotlight from Harley. The plant based humor is amazing. "GASP! It was just a kid ", Ivy pulling a Yondu with a stray leaf, everything Frank the Plant related etc.

Ivy/Kite Man is so shockingly good that I want to see it in the comics in some form. It's the perfect time as both of them share being completely traumatized by Riddler's actions in the War of Jokes and Riddles in common and the fact that Ivy is taking a break from Harley right now.

Incredible Member

Lit show, much better than I expected. I love Bane.
    Last edited by Styles; 02-16-2020 at 10:45 AM.

I love Bane on this show .

I also like how Batman is like the only sane, rational, heroic figure in Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The show has done a great job with Ivy, to the point where she has stolen the spotlight from Harley. The plant based humor is amazing. "GASP! It was just a kid ", Ivy pulling a Yondu with a stray leaf, everything Frank the Plant related etc.

Ivy/Kite Man is so shockingly good that I want to see it in the comics in some form. It's the perfect time as both of them share being completely traumatized by Riddler's actions in the War of Jokes and Riddles in common and the fact that Ivy is taking a break from Harley right now.
    I agree! I was a fan of Lake Bell before this, but the writing for her character has been really good. I appreciate that they're playing her as a dry loner outsider who is too cool for school. I don't know how you could really adapt that to the comics, though, as Ivy doesn't fit this hilarious and warm characterization, even in her positive portrayals right now. I would love to see someone do it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I also like how Batman is like the only sane, rational, heroic figure in Gotham.
    Bane on the show is HILARIOUS. I love that he's such an obvious parody of Tom Hardy Bane.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I agree! I was a fan of Lake Bell before this, but the writing for her character has been really good. I appreciate that they're playing her as a dry loner outsider who is too cool for school. I don't know how you could really adapt that to the comics, though, as Ivy doesn't fit this hilarious and warm characterization, even in her positive portrayals right now. I would love to see someone do it, though.
    What even is Comics Ivy's personality right now lol. They can just make her characterization similar to Ives now that her "heroic" form has merged with her more "villainous" form.

What even is Comics Ivy's personality right now lol. They can just make her characterization similar to Ives now that her "heroic" form has merged with her more "villainous" form.
    I feel like comics Ivy has so many competing and contradictory versions. Which, for all that I hated the miniseries, especially the ending, the plot device of Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy DOES allow for. I just think that it didn't fix anything.

HQ Ivy is really fun. Much prefer her to BTAS or The Batman versions that I've seen - and way more than the Batman and Harley Quinn version that I watched last night (wow that's a bad film).

Bang.

First episode I thought they were trying to hard with the swearing, but it got more natural as they went on. Ivy steals the show for me, Harley is funny, no doubt,but Ivy is very subdued in her humor, it's great.

The only thing I don't like is Gordon. It's just not funny.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Amazing Member

yup, show's been a definite surprise hit and the comedy has been overall good. The first few eps were a bit meh for me, ep 1 was really not good, but it got much better by around ep 4 I'd say.

Ivy/Kite Man is so shockingly good that I want to see it in the comics in some form. It's the perfect time as both of them share being completely traumatized by Riddler's actions in the War of Jokes and Riddles in common
    no thanks

show Ivy and comic Ivy are two completely different people that she would never date someone like Kiteman... hell, ivy's literally killed people in the comics for acting how Kiteman did in the second episode. Also comic Ivy hates humans such that Harley is the only person she's ever loved/trusted enough to give the antidote to all her poisons, so they could be together.

also is ivy/kite man that good in this show? it's so clear kiteman is more into her than she is him... also much of the fanfare behind this relationship comes from ppl happy that kite man "got the girl" and "hell yeah" while I've seen very little reasons why this is such a good relationship from ivy's side of things.

and kiteman's rushing way ahead into things what with him saying he loves her (haven't they only been dating for a few weeks?) and proposing to her, meanwhile ivy's not returned the i love you, avoided talking about it annnnd blew off his proposal. Not long ago, she was embarrassed to even be seen going on a date with him... heck, she didn’t even know why she wanted to date him

From the show-runners themselves from the AMA they did last week:

"And for Ivy, we wanted an arc as well. Our version of her has a lot of social anxiety and self esteem issues. She's fucking awesome but doesn't quite believe that yet, even though she should. So when you undervalue yourself, you tend to date people who aren't worthy of you or who are just "nice" to you, but not right for you."

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...utive/fhiu3s0/

the fact that Ivy is taking a break from Harley right now.
    as a side note, god do I hate what happened in HQ and Ivy #6... just pathetic stuff there DC, and putting aside the being apart BS, was really sad how they couldn't even let the two have a proper kiss goodbye :/
    Last edited by voidox; 02-17-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    no thanks

show Ivy and comic Ivy are two completely different people that she would never date someone like Kiteman... hell, ivy's literally killed people in the comics for acting how Kiteman did in the second episode. Also comic Ivy hates humans such that Harley is the only person she's ever loved/trusted enough to give the antidote to all her poisons, so they could be together.

also is ivy/kite man that good in this show? it's so clear kiteman is more into her than she is him... also much of the fanfare behind this relationship comes from ppl happy that kite man "got the girl" and "hell yeah" while I've seen very little reasons why this is such a good relationship from ivy's side of things.

and kiteman's rushing way ahead into things what with him saying he loves her (haven't they only been dating for a few weeks?) and proposing to her, meanwhile ivy's not returned the i love you, avoided talking about it annnnd blew off his proposal. Not long ago, she was embarrassed to even be seen going on a date with him... heck, she didn’t even know why she wanted to date him

From the show-runners themselves from the AMA they did last week:

"And for Ivy, we wanted an arc as well. Our version of her has a lot of social anxiety and self esteem issues. She's fucking awesome but doesn't quite believe that yet, even though she should. So when you undervalue yourself, you tend to date people who aren't worthy of you or who are just "nice" to you, but not right for you."

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...utive/fhiu3s0/
    I did read that in the AMA, and I thought it was kinda weird, since that's not how I read Ivy at all. She very much seems the "too cool for school" type, not the "imposter syndrome" type. I don't think Ivy/Kite Man is long term, but I think it's sweet enough. Now, maybe they'll play that up in the second season, but the whole arc of Lex wanting Ivy to join, not Harley, didn't seem that Ivy felt like she didn't belong in the League because she's not good enough, but because she's not really that kind of villain (or villain at all).

To be honest I think this take on Ivy could only really work on this show with the emphasis on comedy and the kind of role Ivy serves in Harley's narrative.

Like, while I said I love this version of Bane, he would never work outside this show.
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I did read that in the AMA, and I thought it was kinda weird, since that's not how I read Ivy at all. She very much seems the "too cool for school" type, not the "imposter syndrome" type. I don't think Ivy/Kite Man is long term, but I think it's sweet enough. Now, maybe they'll play that up in the second season, but the whole arc of Lex wanting Ivy to join, not Harley, didn't seem that Ivy felt like she didn't belong in the League because she's not good enough, but because she's not really that kind of villain (or villain at all).
    I think Kite Man jinxed himself by proposing in the heat of the moment.

Show!Ivy definitely doesn't regard herself as a villain but I think her issues with the Legion were more her viewing it as a men's club of pompous and sexist tools who she doesn't want to have anything to do with. Luthor can't even be bothered to remember Cheetah's name.

To be honest I think this take on Ivy could only really work on this show with the emphasis on comedy and the kind of role Ivy serves in Harley's narrative.

I think Kite Man jinxed himself by proposing in the heat of the moment.

Show!Ivy definitely doesn't regard herself as a villain but I think her issues with the Legion were more her viewing it as a men's club of pompous and sexist tools who she doesn't want to have anything to do with. Luthor can't even be bothered to remember Cheetah's name.
    I think that's very true about Ivy - she's a "best friend" and possibly second protagonist of the show, rather than a pre-existing villain.

I think you're absolutely right about Kite Man pushing too far. But I still like Ivy/Kite Man.