Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Has the absolute upper limit of Shazam's strength ever been established?

Has DC ever established the absolute upper limit of Shazam/Captain Marvel's strength? "Strength of Hercules" and "Stamina of Atlas" do not represent a precise quantity.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

The best I recall was a description that his powers were on a par with superman

He lifted the infinite book in Final Crisis along with Supes, although that was Thunderworld/Earth 5 Shazam. Still no reason to believe Billy isn’t on par with Earth 0 Supes. He’ll be facing Superboy-Prime soon so we’ll see how he stacks up there.

Not strong enough to keep his real name "captain Marvel" apparently so here you go, that's his limit.

He can't beat lawyers.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Current Shazam was on par with NuSupes. Evil Shazam and Evil Kara got bodied by Superman.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

He really should be dead even with Superman.

And also on his own Earth, since he's the representation of the Superman archetype there. That's why he was alongside Superman and Ultraman in Final Crisis.

If Shazam/CM is on a par with Supermanm is he stronger than Wonder Woman?

It is said that Shazam/CM has the strength of Hercules and that WW is stronger than Hercules. So by this thinking, shouldn't WW be stronger than Shazam/CM?

comics say some things but they don't show it, so all the confusion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

It is said that Shazam/CM has the strength of Hercules and that WW is stronger than Hercules. So by this thinking, shouldn't WW be stronger than Shazam/CM?
    Here some info i read from another thread recently.

Captain marvel stronger than wonder woman

By Marcio
    Captain Marvel is stronger. Strength of Hercules + Zeus Boost.

Strength of Hercules + Zeus Boost

Captain Marvel increasing his strength only by combining their powers.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/billy...591719/?page=2
    Last edited by mace11; 02-18-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

The root cause of the confusion I think is that both WW and Marvel were created by two different creators for two different companies, and that's before we get into how continuity was much more light back then. Billy was being empowered by a different Hercules and his universe regarded that strength differently, especially as WW is subverting the Hercules and myth and casting him as a villain. Mary Marvel also derived her strength from Hippolyta, and I don't believe Hippolyta has ever consistently displayed lose level of feats of strength.

Someone with more Shazam knowledge could possibly answer this, but does Hercules literally give Billy strength or is it a spell that symbolically draws on the totemic strength that Hercules is known for? As is Wonder Woman stronger than demi-God Hercules or still stronger than him after he ascends to Olympus? Is Olympian Hercules the one who gives Billy strength? The two takes on the classical figures don't really mesh well across the two franchises, which is one reason I think Shazam works better on its own Earth. Whenever he and Superman clash in the old comics, it's left questionable which one would win, whereas Superman was clearly defined as being stronger than Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Here some info i read from another thread recently.

By Marcio

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/billy...591719/?page=2
    Ah thanks! I had never seen that explanation before. It does seem to make sense and show why Cap would then be stronger than Wonder Woman.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I've long believed that Shazam/Captain Marvel is stronger than Wonder Woman in terms of raw power, but in a fight, she'd almost always beat him because she's a warrior born and trained and Billy isn't.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I've long believed that Shazam/Captain Marvel is stronger than Wonder Woman in terms of raw power, but in a fight, she'd almost always beat him because she's a warrior born and trained and Billy isn't.

Some would say Diana should beat Clark for those reasons as well, yet in most of their fights Clark holds the upper hand due to raw power alone.

By rights Billy should be dead even with Superman in terms of strength, speed and power. He gets his powers directly from godlike entities whereas Diana is blessed with powers from the Greek Gods. Although Captain Marvel/Shazam used to be considered one of the most powerful beings on DC Earth, he's lost that standing since Infinite Crisis. Hell Black Adam gets more respect in terms of power than Billy nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    By rights Billy should be dead even with Superman in terms of strength, speed and power. He gets his powers directly from godlike entities whereas Diana is blessed with powers from the Greek Gods. Although Captain Marvel/Shazam used to be considered one of the most powerful beings on DC Earth, he's lost that standing since Infinite Crisis. Hell Black Adam gets more respect in terms of I power than Billy nowadays.
    I always thought Black Adam was stated to be more powerful than Cap either because he was the first champion, and was given some additional advantages or the power of the Eqyptian deities that empower him was greater.