Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Paul Dini's Detective Comics run

Hey, I know it's not collected in its entirety, but I've been thinking about reading Dini's Detective Comics run in the trades. It seems like a lot of his stories have been met with quite a bit of praise ("Slayride", "Heart of Hush"). The out-of-print trades I'm finding, though, are kinda pricey.

My question is, for people who've read his work, is his run worth the time and money? Any stories I ought to skip? I don't read a lot of Batman, but I've read all the core stories (the Miller stuff, Loeb/Sale collabs, Killing Joke, etc.) as well as the entirety of Grant Morrison's time on the character, which I loved.

Thanks for the help!

It's Paul Dini, of course it is. This is one of the great all time Bat writers. I'd also recommend checking out Gotham City Sirens as well. His run alongside Morrison is best Batman era there has been.

I enjoyed Private Casebook (Detective 840-845) and Heart of Hush (Detective 846-850), but wasn't all that impressed with Batman: Streets of Gotham: Hush Money (Detective 852 / Batman 685 / Streets of Gotham 1 - 4).

BANNED

As a Brulina shipper, I loved how it solidified Selina as Bruce's definitive love interest, but I hated what Dini did to her to get there in Heart of Hush.

I was a fan of it, personally. It wasn't the most consistent run ever, but as noted, some truly great stories did come out of it (Heart Of Hush, Slay Ride, etc.), and I also liked what he did with the Riddler (reformed detective). It had it's ups and downs, but overall, pretty enjoyable I thought.
    CURRENTLY READING: Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Descender, I Hate Fairyland, Paper Girls, Saga, Royal City, Goldie Vance, Dept. H, Black Hammer, Afterlife With Archie, Kaijumax, Super Sons

I really enjoyed it although it did have a few ups and downs it was overall really great.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

I enjoyed it, especially Detective when it's in the one & done format. Considering the prices of the 2nd trades though I would go for other trades/runs first if you haven't read alot of other stories.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I enjoyed Private Casebook (Detective 840-845) and Heart of Hush (Detective 846-850), but wasn't all that impressed with Batman: Streets of Gotham: Hush Money (Detective 852 / Batman 685 / Streets of Gotham 1 - 4).
    I agree with this.

By the way, what would be the tpb collection immediately before Private Casebook (Detective 840-845)?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, what would be the tpb collection immediately before Private Casebook (Detective 840-845)?
    That would be Death & The City, there was some fill in issues between the two trades though that weren't collected such as Absolute Terror.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    That would be Death & The City, there was some fill in issues between the two trades though that weren't collected such as Absolute Terror.
    835-836 - Absolute Terror (Not in Any Trade)
    837 - Countdown Tie-In
    838-839 - Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul

Death of the City gets you 827-834 and Batman: Detective gets you 821-826

I'd ebay the runs or see if you can pick the back-issues up on sale either online or at your LCS. That's what I'm doing for Dini's stuff. Haven't read all of it yet. Heart of Hush was pretty damn good though, I picked it up and couldn't put it down until I finished the entire story (and this is coming from a guy who has comic ADD and is always reading multiple trades at once not to mention the monthly singles).

Dini's Detective run ranges from fully decent to really great, but you should probably be aware that the first three trades (Detective, Death and the City and Private Casebook) are all quite choppy and includes a lot of fill-in stuff from other writers that disturb the rythm of the stories somewhat.

Spectacular Member

The trade collections,detective,death and the city and private casebook are classic and best read ignoring the couple of stories in each trade that were not written by dini.. all the hush stuff after that was pretty much garbage in my opinion and hush the character also comes across as a bit dumb and nothing like hush in the original hush storyline.

I really enjoyed all of it, and it was refreshing to have more conventional but solid Batman stories running alongside Morrison's run, frankly. Given DC are putting out new collections of Gotham City Sirens, they'd do well to put out a larger collection of all his Detective Comics/Streets of Gotham work.