Incredible Member

Default Cosmic New Warriors - A Missed Opportunity?

For whatever reason the team just don't seem to draw in a crowd like more successful groups like the Avengers, X-Men, or Guardians of the Galaxy. In canon there's a stigma to them they've never been able to shake since the Stamford Incident that no one seems willing to let them forget even within the superhero community, regardless of who was there at the time. Even before then the team has never been all that widely respected by characters like the Avengers going off what Cap & Tony said during their sit down with Justice & Speedball during the comic's last run. Yes particular members might garner more respect outside the team as individuals, particularly Nova because of his role during the events of Annihilation and Firestar who can (and does) always fall back onto the X-Men and mutant community. But generally the members of the team are looked down upon for their affiliation to the New Warriors to the point that it's like they're generally viewed as being tainted from their time on the team.

That being the case should the New Warriors take a page out of Alpha Flight and just relocate to the cosmic landscape?

I know that Marvel already has plans to bring the New Warriors for the Outlawed event and it's cool to see them trying something with the team again but I feel like it's going to be treading more of the same ground they've covered since Civil War. Ever since they cameo'd in end of Annihilation: Scourge I've felt like Marvel could have taken the opportunity to try something with the New Warriors that, while admittedly doesn't always work, could have been a massive paradigm shift for the team as a whole.
    Honestly the move could benefit the team as a whole, especially depending on the roster they decide to use given that a number of the teams members either have some connection to space or could easily adapt to the transition. Both Nova(s) and Darkhawk get their powers from technology that's alien in origin, all the Scarlet Spiders have been clones which are rife for the sci-fi landscape of a space opera, Haechi is an Inhuman, both Sungirl & Night Thrasher are exceptionally intelligent people who have created and use advanced technology, Justice has a temporal doppleganger running around from an alternate timeline in the form of Major Victory that has actually served on multiple iterations of the Guardians, Alex Power & his siblings all got their powers from a dying alien, Ultragirl is half-kree, etc.

Rolling one of the Nova's, be it Sam or Rich, to help promote the comic as Nova & the New Warriors until the series finds its footing by capitalizing on the popularity of the former. Given everything that's going on with Rich and the Nova Corp right now, having him rally his old team behind him to help pick up the slack for Nova Corp being gone and everything happening in the wake of Scourge, Thanos, etc.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I always thought New Warriors could end up going down the comedic route. If they brought back the whole TV show thing (before Civil War made it dark) they could write it something similar to The Office.

Incredible Member

I personally never saw the appeal to The Office, still have no idea how that show was as popular as it was.

Ultimate Member

A group of Atlantean colonists (perhaps members of one of the many factions that aren't big fans of their half-blood King, and supported people like Attuma, back in the day) on some alien world could be an interesting way to tie Namorita into a cosmic New Warriors. As already mentioned, Nova and Justice already have built in space ties, so it would fall on the writing to come up with ways in which Namorita, Firestar, Thrash, etc. could get tied into it as well.

Silhouette seems like she'd be an amazing resource in a spacefaring chronicle. Does the enemy have a shadowy spot on their ship? Woosh. We're on board. Time to kick some butt!

Something to do with Firestar and the legacy of Supernova could be an avenue to explore, and make her more spaceworthy, if not anywhere near full-on Herald of Galactus level (so that Nova isn't the only space-capable member of the team).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    A group of Atlantean colonists (perhaps members of one of the many factions that aren't big fans of their half-blood King, and supported people like Attuma, back in the day) on some alien world could be an interesting way to tie Namorita into a cosmic New Warriors. As already mentioned, Nova and Justice already have built in space ties, so it would fall on the writing to come up with ways in which Namorita, Firestar, Thrash, etc. could get tied into it as well.
    I don't see why not, it's not like Black Panther hasn't done something similar with Wakanda and the planet Bast. Even if they don't want to use Namorita, they still have Namora and Water Snake who has been implied might be a clone of Namorita but was never fully addressed.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    I don't see why not, it's not like Black Panther hasn't done something similar with Wakanda and the planet Bast. Even if they don't want to use Namorita, they still have Namora and Water Snake who has been implied might be a clone of Namorita but was never fully addressed.
    Chris Yost indeed intended Water Snake to be a clone of Namorita whose intended purpose was as a sacrificial vessel for Namorita's memories and personality to be reborn through her, but yes, like you said, the series didn't last long enough to have that arc fully develop on-panel. That said, I do think your idea for the New Warriors to go to space for a fresh start due to being written off by most of their fellow superheroes over Stamford has promise. It could be a good avenue for them to develop outside the dominance of the Avengers on Earth.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Chris Yost indeed intended Water Snake to be a clone of Namorita whose intended purpose was as a sacrificial vessel for Namorita's memories and personality to be reborn through her, but yes, like you said, the series didn't last long enough to have that arc fully develop on-panel.
    Exactly where are you getting this information because I've never seen anything referencing it?

Ultimate Member

Exactly where are you getting this information because I've never seen anything referencing it?
    I've heard this rumor as well, but the plan seemed to get abandoned, as the last page of that run showed a much expanded New Warriors roster with both Namorita *and* Water Snake as members, IIRC. (And Silhouette and Rage, as well as all of the new, New Warriors from that iteration, like Hummingbird, Haechi and Sun Girl.)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I've heard this rumor as well, but the plan seemed to get abandoned, as the last page of that run showed a much expanded New Warriors roster with both Namorita *and* Water Snake as members, IIRC. (And Silhouette and Rage, as well as all of the new, New Warriors from that iteration, like Hummingbird, Haechi and Sun Girl.)

This: http://newwarriors.com/team_roster/t..._v/water-snake

and this: https://www.cbr.com/namorita-new-war...n-water-snake/
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It’s an interesting concept for a space Warriors project. I enjoyed the NW arc during Initiative where they went to the future. Marvel would have to bring them in as a surprise force in a rescue operation for the Avengers or the GOTG in trouble to give them cred.

Incredible Member

Pity they never addressed this particular plot thread, could have gotten some mileage out of it and the fact that Namora had already been "resurrected" by that point.

Article just reminds me of why I don't like Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    It’s an interesting concept for a space Warriors project. I enjoyed the NW arc during Initiative where they went to the future. Marvel would have to bring them in as a surprise force in a rescue operation for the Avengers or the GOTG in trouble to give them cred.
    It always bothered me that they never reference Civil War's iteration of the team, having the team be made up of almost entirely former mutants was a cool concept yet none of the characters involved ever acknowledge it.

Given everything that's recently happened (Thanos, Scourge, Death of Inhumans) on the cosmic scene and what's presently going down (Empyre, Knull, Shi'ar GoT), I really don't think the New Warriors would need much of an excuse to transition over. They already appeared during the last issue of Scourge so they've already got an established presence, and really the only excuse they need to keep hanging around is one of the Nova's or Darkhawk asking to help out. The Guardians of the Galaxy can't be everywhere, the Avengers really have no business being in space to begin with, both Alpha Flight & the Knowhere Corp are meant to be stationary to their respective bases of operation (Earth & Knowhere), the Starjammers have proven disappointingly useless, the Warbound haven't done anything beyond their initial appearance way back when, and the Annihilators are more or less the same AND in dire need of a new roster.
    Last edited by Draegwolf; 02-17-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Article just reminds me of why I don't like Justice.
    Could you elaborate please?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Could you elaborate please?
    To sum it up, dude's another would be "boy scout" that thinks he's higher up the food chain than he actually is.

Most of his time on aforementioned run of New Warriors was him actively throwing his weight around trying to get his way despite really not being in a position of authority. He's incredibly disrespectful to teammates, particularly Water Snake & Scarlet Spider (Kaine) to the point that he aggressively asserts wanting to perform an incredibly invasive procedure on the former against her will so he can prove that she's Namora despite Water Snake already telling him otherwise. He pretty much hounds Kaine for details about his identity and connection to Ben Reilly just because he never got answers from the latter and feels entitled to it, even though both that and everything with Water Snake are really none of his business. Justice is just one of those characters that pretty much just comes off as acting like he knows what's best for everyone and tries to force the issue with anyone that doesn't agree with him, I could probably think of more examples but honestly it's been a while since I've read anything else with him involved in any real capacity and even then I tend to push him out of my mind.

He's just not likable in my opinion which is a big part of why I prefer Major Victory to him despite them being essentially the same character.