Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Because Doug knew Roberto was lying about knowing how to speak Portuguese......
    Why would Roberto not actually speak the language used in Brazil? Roberto is fluent in at least Portuguese, Spanish, and English, without x-gene assistance.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    They're different but Bobby doesnt hate him at all. He cried his eyes out when he found out he was killed
    True. I didn't specify before, but I don't think he hate him at all, either. Just he doesn't get along with him, because he doesn't like his idiosyncrasy.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Why would Roberto not actually speak the language used in Brazil? Roberto is fluent in at least Portuguese, Spanish, and English, without x-gene assistance.
    I guess it was a joke...

Huh I thought you were referring to Iceman this whole time...lol
    ....He and Sam were Best friends just like Doug and Warlock are besties. They're different but Bobby doesnt hate him at all. He cried his eyes out when he found out he was killed
    I find it slightly hilarious that you think crying over someone dying is a sign of caring about them. People constantly cry for dead people they don't even know. They don't do that because they care about that person. They do so because it's what's expected and/or because it feels cathartic to them. It's a bit of a grief olympics. Who can seem to be the most affected by a persons death.
    You see this all the time in both real life and in fiction. For instance when you have kids crying at an unpopular kid's wake. It has absolutely zero to do with the person that died and everything with themselves.
    So no, crying over someone's death isn't a sign you cared about them.
    #EmmaWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I find it slightly hilarious that you think crying over someone dying is a sign of caring about them. People constantly cry for dead people they don't even know. They don't do that because they care about that person. They do so because it's what's expected and/or because it feels cathartic to them. It's a bit of a grief olympics. Who can seem to be the most affected by a persons death.
    You see this all the time in both real life and in fiction. For instance when you have kids crying at an unpopular kid's wake. It has absolutely zero to do with the person that died and everything with themselves.
    True. But in this instance it is
    GrindrStone(D)

Fantastic Member

Huh I thought you were referring to Iceman this whole time...lol
    ....He and Sam were Best friends just like Doug and Warlock are besties. They're different but Bobby doesnt hate him at all. He cried his eyes out when he found out he was killed
    Best explanation I've heard.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Because Doug knew Roberto was lying about knowing how to speak Portuguese......
    Haha so true. In those pre-Internet days, Claremont had Roberto speak more Spanish than Portuguese, and Doug was there to call him out!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Roberto didn’t like Doug because he’s kind of straight laced and has boring powers, and the girls were incredibly protective of him.
    I could see that. Girls flock around Doug to protect him, and 'Berto's all like, 'Hey! Okay, I don't technically need protecting, as such, but I'm about ready to fake an injury here!'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I find it disturbing you know so many fake people that you feel this way.

But for most people, crying, isn't a sign of being fake and evil.

Why do so many posters think that characters are either best friends or hate each other? I see this come up with multiple different characters. If they're not BFFS then that must be they hate each other with a burning passion. Maybe the posters who do this are much younger? This black and white way of viewing relationships reminds me of teenagers.

Of course Beto loves Doug. He might've bullied him at first due to his own insecurities (growing up in a macho culture) but that doesn't mean he wasn't devastated when Doug "died".

Assuming that Bobby wasn’t really sad when a guy he lived and worked with died is a pretty sociopathic read on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I find it disturbing you know so many fake people that you feel this way.

But for most people, crying, isn't a sign of being fake and evil.

Why do so many posters think that characters are either best friends or hate each other? I see this come up with multiple different characters. If they're not BFFS then that must be they hate each other with a burning passion. Maybe the posters who do this are much younger? This black and white way of viewing relationships reminds me of teenagers.

Of course Beto loves Doug. He might've bullied him at first due to his own insecurities (growing up in a macho culture) but that doesn't mean he wasn't devastated when Doug "died".
    I don't even remember Bobby being especially mean to Doug. They weren't super buddy buddy but they kinda stayed outta each other's lane. If anything I remember Doug being a lil too loose with the slaps and his tongue
    GrindrStone(D)

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Assuming that Bobby wasn’t really sad when a guy he lived and worked with died is a pretty sociopathic read on the situation.
    This this this.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

IIRC, Berto called Doug 'coward' on panel several times. My personal theory is Berto was raised mainly in a macho-alpha-entrepeneur-preponderant environment, so he finds that male individuals who don't seem to care about being predominant nor badass are disgusting.
    that would explain why he doesn't seem to like Mondo and Chamber much.

IIRC, Berto called Doug 'coward' on panel several times. My personal theory is Berto was raised mainly in a macho-alpha-entrepeneur-preponderant environment,
    Who do you think raised him like that? It's true his Mom was constantly in and out..runnin the Streets. His dad was never really around either always in his office or following Sebastian Shaw waiting around to get killed. He was around 13/14 when he came to Xavier's so while in his formative years...Housw of X raised him

so he finds that male individuals who don't seem to care about being predominant nor badass are disgusting.
    Well I don't think this is true at all. Do you KNOW who his best friend is? If you've ever read the OG New Mutants Sam was the least predominant and badass. He was awkward, shy, unsure of himself. Bobby's not shy so he doesn't always speak with tact but remembering how he responded to confident 'badass' dudes like Wolverine...Empath.... Jetstream Id say he thinks the opposite
    Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    that would explain why he doesn't seem to like Mondo and Chamber much.
    Why do you think he doesn't like them? Have you seen Bobby treat any other dudes besides Sam better? Have ANY of the NM been noticeably nicer than Bobby to the Gen Xers??
    GrindrStone(D)

Im going by the "do nothing Gen Xers:' line though I guess I may have misinterpreted it... maybe it was just another meta comment from Hickman. Its true they really haven't done much or interacted much with others in this book so far.