Default Cypher vs Mister X

Cypher the New Mutant vs Mister X the Wolverine villain

Has Cypher suddenly now got some unforeseen combat god skills now then?

So Cypher can read body language now. Makes some sense, although how that suddenly gives him mastery of martial arts is a bit of a mystery.

But meh.

Mister X still has a crapload more combat feats, almost certainly better strength and durability feats and I’d put combat TP ahead of body reading. He can anticipate Cypher’s moves as soon as he even THINKS about moving.

Being able to read body language, to tell when someone telegraphs a blow, is a nifty trick for use against, say, a mugger or a street thug.

But without extensive martial training, like beyond the standard stuff New Mutants receive, I wouldn't count on it being enough to defeat a top-tier martial artist.

Cypher needs to train with someone like Richard Dragon for a few years to become truly formidable with that aspect of his gift.

A better rumble for Cypher would be to pit him against hackers and computer experts from different verses. At that game he's top-tier and has few challengers.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Barring Cypher having some kind of massive physical upgrade, he gets ragdolled by the dude with superior skill, speed, and strength, and combat precog that at the least cancels out his own.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I mean Quicksilver showed how precog was worthless in the face of superior speed. Should kinda apply here really.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I mean Quicksilver showed how precog was worthless in the face of superior speed. Should kinda apply here really.
    And in this case, it's superior speed combined with precog as well. Soooo....
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    And in this case, it's superior speed combined with precog as well. Soooo....
    Not to mention strength, skill, damage soak...

I know we often show Mr X as losing to Quicksilver, but that’s no slight against him. The guy is GOOD. Even in X’s first story arc he was treating Wolverine like the proverbial red-headed stepchild until Logan went full berzerker-mode.

Captain America doesn’t do that to Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Not to mention strength, skill, damage soak...

I know we often show Mr X as losing to Quicksilver, but that’s no slight against him. The guy is GOOD. Even in X’s first story arc he was treating Wolverine like the proverbial red-headed stepchild until Logan went full berzerker-mode.

Captain America doesn’t do that to Logan.
    Absolutely. It's the difference that combat precog makes. Give Cap combat precog, have him fight Logan, and things would likely run similarly.

Not saying X is identical to Cap otherwise, but he has extremely high comic book martial arts skill, he's at least in the CBPH ballpark, etc.
    Why are we here?

Cypher is actually an underused character in Rumbles threads.

There must be a bunch of hackers in anime and manga I've never heard of who could provide good battles for him in his own sphere.

I wonder how his hacking feats hold up against Brainiac Five of the LSH (not inventions, not serums, just computer hacking)? Almost posted that once.

I did do Douglas Ramsey vs Amadeus Cho once as a hacking battle.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Cypher is actually an underused character in Rumbles threads.

There must be a bunch of hackers in anime and manga I've never heard of who could provide good battles for him in his own sphere.

I wonder how his hacking feats hold up against Brainiac Five of the LSH (not inventions, not serums, just computer hacking)? Almost posted that once.

I did do Douglas Ramsey vs Amadeus Cho once as a hacking battle.
    MakubeX from Getbackers comes to mind.

Programming and hacking was "as natural to him as breathing," and, given that he lives in an extradimensional fortress that is an intersection of magic and virtual reality - he can hack some pretty wild stuff.