Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Extraordinary Member

Joe Kelly liked to tease the relationship throughout his run, even before they got to the Obsidian Age.

And I do admit that I prefer the dichotomy of Batman and Wonder Woman over the Superman and Wonder Woman angle. I'm not a shipper (I prefer Bat Cat, but I'm cool with most things as long as the characters are portrayed in an intelligent manner), but I do think the contrast between the usual tropes and cliches of Batman's love life being turned around by Wonder Woman is a major appeal just from a humor standpoint, let alone the character interactions. Justice League went out of its way to show how Batman's usual reactions became, for lack of a better term, "cute." He was either being endearingly compassionate or far too stoic for the situation. It also emphasizes just how much he's a regular human in spite of his abilities. In contrast, I always feel like the Clark and Diana pairing emphasizes that she's basically an immortal demigod and he's an alien. It somewhat dehumanizes them, and comes with the extra implications that they're the only person "man enough/woman enough" to date the other.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    The creative part is that one is very powerful and the other is just a human being. You haven't explained why the relationship is mismatched. It is a very stereotypical view if you believe a woman will always want a stronger man or on the same level. You a here implying that every women including WW needs protection. WW don't need protection and can have a relationship with anybody she wants to. Bruce on the other hands needs a WW who can take care of her self and he don't need to protect all the time, that would be a boring and all to well know superhero relationship.
    What's interesting is that Diana would know and understand Bruce's feelings and need for revenge...and not look down upon it or consider it warped. Not many people would do that in general, and the level of compassion, from a peer, would be an interesting variable in Bruce's world.

Well, I certainly didn't expect this to become such a debate after merely asking for suggestions. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    The creative part is that one is very powerful and the other is just a human being. You haven't explained why the relationship is mismatched. It is a very stereotypical view if you believe a woman will always want a stronger man or on the same level. You a here implying that every women including WW needs protection. WW don't need protection and can have a relationship with anybody she wants to. Bruce on the other hands needs a WW who can take care of her self and he don't need to protect all the time, that would be a boring and all to well know superhero relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    And I do admit that I prefer the dichotomy of Batman and Wonder Woman over the Superman and Wonder Woman angle. I'm not a shipper (I prefer Bat Cat, but I'm cool with most things as long as the characters are portrayed in an intelligent manner), but I do think the contrast between the usual tropes and cliches of Batman's love life being turned around by Wonder Woman is a major appeal just from a humor standpoint, let alone the character interactions. Justice League went out of its way to show how Batman's usual reactions became, for lack of a better term, "cute." He was either being endearingly compassionate or far too stoic for the situation. It also emphasizes just how much he's a regular human in spite of his abilities. In contrast, I always feel like the Clark and Diana pairing emphasizes that she's basically an immortal demigod and he's an alien. It somewhat dehumanizes them, and comes with the extra implications that they're the only person "man enough/woman enough" to date the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    What's interesting is that Diana would know and understand Bruce's feelings and need for revenge...and not look down upon it or consider it warped. Not many people would do that in general, and the level of compassion, from a peer, would be an interesting variable in Bruce's world.
    All excellent points on the subject. It's also interesting that most supporters have actually discussed the dichotomy thoughtfully, analyzing the idea from a very character- and story-based POV, while most of the detractors seem to just have a generic "No, I think it's stupid because Batman is too popular" kind of explanation. HUH? LOL!!

In any event, I'll be making my new comic book day run to the LCS in the morning, so I'll dig through the back issue bins for the above suggestions.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Well, I certainly didn't expect this to become such a debate after merely asking for suggestions. LOL!

All excellent points on the subject. It's also interesting that most supporters have actually discussed the dichotomy thoughtfully, analyzing the idea from a very character- and story-based POV, while most of the detractors seem to just have a generic "No, I think it's stupid because Batman is too popular" kind of explanation. HUH? LOL!!

In any event, I'll be making my new comic book day run to the LCS in the morning, so I'll dig through the back issue bins for the above suggestions.
    It won't work not due to Batman's popularity but because the relationship would be all about Batman. Woder Woman would be simply a prop. That's how it turned out to be in the last continuity.

Extraordinary Member

I can easily see that. People have accused the Superman and Wonder Woman thing as having too much of that already. Wonder Woman is somewhat seen as a strong, but distant third to the other two in popularity. Both Bats and Supes have had eras where they dominated the market with a book starring them every week of the year, a record that Wonder Woman sadly seems to lack the consistent writing for.

A Bats and Wondy relationship might work better if removed from a comic format; movies and TV generally appeal to a much larger demographic by design, whereas comics have the reputation of being mostly male productions for male readers. Wonder Woman's place as a feminist icon gives her an advantage she can use, and the more limited scope of both mediums in terms of continuous storytelling encourages trying to get the most bang for your buck. So maybe we will see a greater tease of Bats and Wondy in BvS than Supes and Wondy. Because I do believe there's more writing potential in the former than the latter.

I seem to be a deviation from the norm, in that my opposition to Batman/Wonder Woman comes primarily from the damage it does to Batman's character. Anytime I read things about Wonder Woman tempering/understanding Batman's "need for vengeance", "dark, cynical worldview", "distrustful nature towards metahumans and paranoia about his allies", I can't help but feel that they are trying to push Batman right back into the territory from which he has only recently managed to begin escaping. And I'm sorry, but I have absolutely zero interest in reading about that Batman again.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    I seem to be a deviation from the norm, in that my opposition to Batman/Wonder Woman comes primarily from the damage it does to Batman's character. Anytime I read things about Wonder Woman tempering/understanding Batman's "need for vengeance", "dark, cynical worldview", "distrustful nature towards metahumans and paranoia about his allies", I can't help but feel that they are trying to push Batman right back into the territory from which he has only recently managed to begin escaping. And I'm sorry, but I have absolutely zero interest in reading about that Batman again.
    Not to be rude, but do you honestly think that a, the writers are deliberately damaging Bruce's character and b, that he will suffer more long-term damage if the relationship is handled poorly than Diana. I mean if he could survive Batman and Robin, I think he could survive that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    It was also in an issue of the Brave And The Bold, but I can't recall which one.

Batman wouldn't get ruined by Wonder Woman. The worst she could do to his character is turn him into a killer and that's only mildly bad if you look at what's happening to him in future's end.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

They are dating, well trying too, throughout Joe Kelly's JLA run and there's definitely a vibe in Wonder Woman: The Hiketea, which is a great story anyway.

I seem to recall some similar tension in the Wonder Woman issues Gods of Gotham arc, but it's been a long time since I read it.

I'm not a big fan of this coupling, myself, but the JLU episode where Batman sang for her was priceless.

Wonder Woman is an alpha in her own right. Long-term, alphas needs betas, not other alphas.

She, like Superman and Batman, needs a dedicated beta from her own corner of the DCU. The equivalent of a Lois Lane or Selina Kyle (on her good days). She has already one: His name is Steve Trevor and he was created by WW's own creator back in the Golden Age. I'm not a fan of the Supes/WW pairing except as it's current (presumably) one-time long-form experiment, and I am not a fan of the Bats/WW pairing under any circumstances.

Wonder Woman stomping around Metropolis, with that city's regular cast of alien invaders, killer robots, giant monsters and mad scientists, at least makes sense for her to be there.

Wonder Woman stomping around Gotham, where she could technically round up all of Batman's mortal enemies in a weekend without breaking a sweat, is laughable and makes no sense at all.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    They are dating, well trying too, throughout Joe Kelly's JLA run and there's definitely a vibe in Wonder Woman: The Hiketea, which is a great story anyway.

I seem to recall some similar tension in the Wonder Woman issues Gods of Gotham arc, but it's been a long time since I read it.
    I'm not a big fan of this coupling, myself, but the JLU episode where Batman sang for her was priceless.
    gods of gotham
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...__167_pg22.jpg

Do not forget the darkest night
    blackest night wonder woman 2
    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...onderwomad.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NGbtReZsY6...n+%232+020.jpg
    blackest night wonder woman 3
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...rWoman3018.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Wonder Woman is an alpha in her own right. Long-term, alphas needs betas, not other alphas.
    This is probably the strongest argument against the pairing, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Though I still wouldn't mind seeing them trying to make a go at it, just for the heck of it....