Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Hmm... Death or Strength? Death or Strength?...

I am become DEATH, Destroyer of Worlds.

Because someone's gotta do the job, and Hades is one of my favorite Greek gods.
    Minor nitpick, but Hades was not the Greek god of death. He was the god of the underworld and the dead. Thanatos and the Keres were the Greek entities of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Minor nitpick, but Hades was not the Greek god of death. He was the god of the underworld and the dead. Thanatos and the Keres were the Greek entities of death.
    Got to it before I did.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Got to it before I did.
    Although don’t rule the Greek Underworld out completely.

There’s a certain symmetry, even if thematically somewhat inaccurate, in The Dog being Cerberus.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Here are the remaining Spheres:

• Love — Beauty, Sex, Courtship, Etiquette, Pleasure;

• Medicine — Healing, Health, Purification, Absolution, Ancestry, Disease, Poisons, Potions;

• Strength — Wrestling, Stamina, Durability, Mountains, Athletics;

• Wealth — Business, Economics, Trading, Homes, Luck, Fortune;
    I'll take strength. Mythomania's gonna be huge this year! Way bigger than Avalanche in Avalon!

They say he only has one temple dedicated to him for he cares little of mortal belief in him
    A labyrinth deep beneath the earth, only the most foolhardy or desperate have sought it out
    Cobwebs adorn each corner like jewelry upon the nobility, monuments of his countless children
    His chosen worshippers are the oracles, eight of which to represent his eyes
    In return of his favor, they have each gouged out their eyes and fed them to the spiders

Those who manage to reach the center will be allowed to briefly see through one of the four sets of his eyes:
    Nuyoal, The ties that bind one to their past
    Yulano, The strings that connect one to their present and others
    Loyuan, The strands that guide one toward their futures
    Olunya, Those that see beyond the threads of fate

What one does with this knowledge is of their own choice, but the price they must pay is up to him; for he will cut the lines of one of the sets the chooser did not take.

I would have gone for either magic or travel, but I'll take Wealth.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Hm, we become gods, huh? Guess I'll take Medicine and craft the perfect poisons for assassinations.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Eh death, dead, same difference.

Besides, seems here we're lumping death and dead together. I'll just have minions to gather souls for me. If you're good, you get to be guided to the afterlife by something comforting (kindly old grandma, Baymax from Big Hero 6, a puppy, etc.). If you're not, you get something terrible (a skeletal monster, a demonic clown, Violator from Spawn in his true form, etc.) to drag you to the afterlife.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Astonishing Member

What are the limitations of magic here? I was thinking it was along the lines of Hecate, or is it more ambiguous. I chose magic since it is all encompassing in its variety.

Is this thread going anywhere, per chance? Is this a set up to an RPG?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Eh death, dead, same difference.

Besides, seems here we're lumping death and dead together. I'll just have minions to gather souls for me. If you're good, you get to be guided to the afterlife by something comforting (kindly old grandma, Baymax from Big Hero 6, a puppy, etc.). If you're not, you get something terrible (a skeletal monster, a demonic clown, Violator from Spawn in his true form, etc.) to drag you to the afterlife.
    Even for a god of Chaos and Excess, double-dipping is no bueno.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

It feels a little limited to have a specific sacred animal type or what have you. My dominion contains more varied and complex life than anything on dry land and I have the dominion over dreams themselves into the bargain so any animal sacred to me could conceivably be an impossible creature that stalks the minds of men, hungry for their desires.

As attractive as that is, it also feels too mercurial.

No, I think we have to be a bit more definite.

My sacred creature will be that which sleeps beneath the crushing depths, tentacled and fearsome, awaiting the end of creation itself so that it may rise and drink the blood of the stars. The Kraken, the abyssal fiend, the fallen priest of the long forgotten gods of the cosmic stars, Cthulhu, the slumbering one.

It has many names and there are many stories, some true and some false, but it is best known as the herald of my wrath. Those who are people of the ocean, who listen to the currents and hear their whispers, they know what truth of what that monstrous presence represents.

Break the laws of ocean and it will become a place that offers no safety to you. Storms and foul weather are easily explained away as bad luck or perhaps the hand of the Sky Father. For my displeasure it must be personal. The ships of slavers or of those who pollute or befoul my expansive domain; they will see the great crushing appendages break the surf, seizing their vessels and dragging them endlessly down.

There will be one survivor. One alone, usually the youngest aboard. They must tell the tale to others.

The king of the oceans is fair, he prides himself on treating all of mankind as equal. If you work and listen and give yourself to the ocean life you will find a lifelong ally. But incur his wrath and he will, in short order, drive you from his kingdom.

And running is preferable, lest his gargantuan servant drag you to the darkest depths and seal your souls in the locker for all of time.

That will be my creature. Older than mankind, possessed of innumerable limbs and hungry with the vengeance of its master.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

The fact one of the creature's many names is shared by the god of wine is a strange coincidence that theologians have puzzled over for centuries.

The ocean god will never reveal his secrets and the lord of wine is too insensible to speak real truths.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The fact one of the creature's many names is shared by the god of wine is a strange coincidence that theologians have puzzled over for centuries.

The ocean god will never reveal his secrets and the lord of wine is too insensible to speak real truths.
    I have a manatee! His name is Mittenz and he loves hugs! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

There is a non-zero chance that I sank myself, and island after I drank myself silly; but what fun is there in knowing, when dreams, and myth, and drunkenness, pave the way for infinite possibilities?

In his House at R'yleh, drunk Cthulhu waits, dreaming.

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    There's also the possibility that the fantasy world the Plot Gods are creating has other pantheons. In that case, we'd be the gods of a particular people or civilization, and as our mortals are in competition with other mortals, we're in competition with another pantheon.
    Yes, this is one of the reasons I chose the three wishes. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    Hello, Duo! I already did my work today, put away the spiky bat!

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    Ah, I see.....

I was wondering what the whispers I kept hearing were about...I had half a mind to ignore them, but they grew louder and louder, growing from the slightest whispers, to frenzied screams, shouting my name over and over, and endless cacophony of praise and expectation.

Given that, I found myself bound to see just what it was that the universe desired of me.

I hardly expected to be called upon to take the mantle of Great God of the Hunting Affiliation... but I suppose there is none more fitting than I, The Nine Hundred and Twenty Ninth of the Hunters who hold the title of 'Miburo', is there?

Even though I feel such a classification fails to fully encompass what we are--What I am--I will indulge those who beseech me to honor them with my presence.

...Or was I supposed to be honored by their choice? I hardly recall, and for these purposes it matters little....
    And there we are!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate