Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Licensed comics in the main continuity?

I find it fascinating that Marvel, who is generally known for using their own original characters or adaptations of non-copyrighted characters (ex. Thor), have actually used licensed characters from time to time in their own main continuity. I can understand the reason for it; I assume that it was done to boost sales by tying the licensed properties with their own established characters, and I assume that re-prints/digital subscriptions/collected editions weren't really a concern at the time so the licenses expiring were just not really a concern. However, I think that with digital subscriptions and collected editions it has become more of an interesting curiosity, especially since Marvel's own characters can't have certain issues reprinted because they feature licensed characters. Here are some 616 licensed characters I can think of:

Conan - I'd say he is by far the most successful licensed character, and in fact Marvel currently have the rights to him and are using him in Savage Avengers, firmly placing him within other Marvel characters
    ROM - He appears sometimes as Marvel owns his human persona, but the costume and references to the licensed merchandise themselves are not allowed
    Micronauts - I think this is similar to ROM as certain aspects appear but the specifically licensed parts cannot be mentioned
    Godzilla & Tarzan - Now these ones honestly shocked me, the fact there is a Godzilla in the same universe as the Punisher, for instance, just seems hilarious to me

There are definitely others, but this is what came to my mind! A shame many won't be collected as I think they'd be interesting reads. Any other ones that interested you? Your thoughts on using licensed characters in the main continuity?

There's also Doctor Who and Transformers, which are both linked to Death's Head's backstory.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's also Doctor Who and Transformers, which are both linked to Death's Head's backstory.
    They aren't part of 616 though, are they? I thought they were separate.

Doctor visits TF-verse. Pick's up Death's Head. Drops him off on Baxter Building. Multiversal travel. So not 616, but they are part of the Marvel Multiverse.

In fact, Transformers was originally in the Marvel Universe (Spidey showed up) but they very quickly changed their minds.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

A couple of other examples which affected reprint rights. I'm not sure if this MTIO was ever reprinted. MOKF eventually did get collected.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doctor visits TF-verse. Pick's up Death's Head. Drops him off on Baxter Building. Multiversal travel. So not 616, but they are part of the Marvel Multiverse.

In fact, Transformers was originally in the Marvel Universe (Spidey showed up) but they very quickly changed their minds.
    I wonder what made them change their minds, maybe they were worried that events/characters wouldn't be owned by them.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A couple of other examples which affected reprint rights. I'm not sure if this MTIO was ever reprinted. MOKF eventually did get collected.

I know there are 6 Shang-Chi omnis, do those mention Fu Manchu?

Quote Originally Posted by Oheao View Post
    I think so, but I've never seen them. I do know it took a while for it to happen though. Shang's father has been retconned and current stories handle it differently. The Sax Rohmer characters of Sir Denis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie were used in the comics as well, but have since faded from sight.

Red Sonja is a pretty interesting example of this sort of thing; she was originally created for use in Marvel comics, but the IP rights got sold off down the line. My understanding is that a few supporting characters from the original run have popped up now and then (and Sonja herself had a crossover miniseries with Spider-Man in the '00s).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Red Sonja is a pretty interesting example of this sort of thing; she was originally created for use in Marvel comics, but the IP rights got sold off down the line. My understanding is that a few supporting characters from the original run have popped up now and then (and Sonja herself had a crossover miniseries with Spider-Man in the '00s).
    Maybe Marvel didn't own the rights and when their license lapsed other publishers took it? I'm not sure though because she debuted in Conan so its seems strange to me that her license would be separate, unless it's because she's considered to be based on Red Sonya.

I thought there were only four! I bought them for my brother. I'd be a little annoyed if I had to buy him two more to ensure that he has a full set! They're pretty pricey!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Maybe Marvel didn't own the rights and when their license lapsed other publishers took it? I'm not sure though because she debuted in Conan so its seems strange to me that her license would be separate, unless it's because she's considered to be based on Red Sonya.
    If I remember correctly, Red Sonya was not a character from the Conan books. She was a separate character!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I thought there were only four! I bought them for my brother. I'd be a little annoyed if I had to buy him two more to ensure that he has a full set! They're pretty pricey!
    Gem Mint Collectibles did a video on every Shang-chi omnibus, and it appears there are 4 Masters of Kung Fu omnis and 2 Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. So I guess it depends whether or not you include Deadly Hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    If I remember correctly, Red Sonya was not a character from the Conan books. She was a separate character!
    Yeah, which is why I think the license is separate, even if Marvel's Red Sonja debuted in Conan.

All these licensed characters and concepts are in 616 continuity
    Doc Savage
    Shogun Warriors
    Rom
    Alf
    Tarzan
    Access (co-owned with DC)
    Illuminator
    U.S. 1 (truck)
    Conan
    Red Sonja
    King Kull
    Godzilla
    The Doctor (Doctor Who)
    James Bond
    Fu Manchu
    Guiding Light
    Team America
    Human Fly
    KISS
    Meteor Man
    Solarman
    Nightcat

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    All these licensed characters and concepts are in 616 continuity
    Doc Savage
    Shogun Warriors
    Rom
    Alf
    Tarzan
    Access (co-owned with DC)
    Illuminator
    U.S. 1 (truck)
    Conan
    Red Sonja
    King Kull
    Godzilla
    The Doctor (Doctor Who)
    James Bond
    Fu Manchu
    Guiding Light
    Team America
    Human Fly
    KISS
    Meteor Man
    Solarman
    Nightcat
    Wait! Guiding Light?
    Sandy Hausler