Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Would a Northern Irish Republican even want to be part of a team called Union. You'd think they would just tell Britannia to stuff it!

I wonder about the Welsh character. The Welsh arent as vocal as the Scottish or Northern Irish about seperating, but I hope that doesn't lead to Wales just becoming a yes-man or in this case woman.
    The fact that the Northern Irish character is involved, and supposedly claiming the title "Northern Irish" rather the more common British or Irish (as allowed by the Good Friday Agreement), does seem to make me think the character with likely be of the Protestant faith and of loyalist persusasion. I agree with you, a Catholic Republican of Northern Ireland wouldn't be associated with such a team, particularly at this time of political disagreement. The team does seem to be set in the present day, and Captain Britain has already made it clear Brexit was underway (and seemed to lean towards Remain).

I also hope the Choir isn't just willing to go along with everything if this is a political tale amongst an intergalactic threat. Wales isn't as vocal, having been absorbed into Britain during their relative infancy, but they are to be amongst the most harshly affected since EU contribution towards agriculture (and it's trade) assisted their livelihoods. Also, it's no secret that when times have been hard within the U.K. they've often been hardest on those reliant in industry and agriculture (the abundance of farms and coal mines make this abundantly clear to affect Wales). So I hope that she has a voice that is her own, and of her people.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post

I have a sneaking suspicion that this character is going to be a secret Skrull.
    Aside from the fact that this book is coming out of Empyre, the text here sound to be refering to the casting out of Skrulls from Britain that happened at the end of the Britain-based Secret Invasion tie-in book.
    That was the result of magic iirc, but maybe the magic has weakened. Possibly as a result of all the stuff going on in Excalibur or something else.
    Snakes being a secret Set-worshipping snake-dude, part of a race of same 'chased out of Ireland' long ago by the arrival of Christianity, could be a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Snakes being a secret Set-worshipping snake-dude, part of a race of same 'chased out of Ireland' long ago by the arrival of Christianity, could be a twist.
    That'd be a clever idea. I also think his body is comprised of multiple snakes. "He missed some", not one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If he was that ancient though - what would his connection to Northern Ireland be?

Saint Patrick is usually said to have converted the Irish in the 400's. So if he was that old, he would lack any real connection to modern Northern Ireland which only really started emerging in the 1600's with the Ulster Plantations and even then it wasn't properly a country until 1921. Im not sure someone from way back then would care about Northern Ireland much.

I feel like you guys are way overestimating how political this book is going to be.
    #EmmaWasRight

I feel like you guys are way overestimating how political this book is going to be.
    Same here...

If they didn't really intend for people to view the book through a political lens they probably should have gone for a more neutral name.

I think just because of the current situation in the UK at the moment, its almost impossible not to view this book as political.

I am looking forward, no idea what to expect! I'd be a bit suprised if none of the political issues with such a team were explored though.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    If he was that ancient though - what would his connection to Northern Ireland be?

Saint Patrick is usually said to have converted the Irish in the 400's. So if he was that old, he would lack any real connection to modern Northern Ireland which only really started emerging in the 1600's with the Ulster Plantations and even then it wasn't properly a country until 1921. Im not sure someone from way back then would care about Northern Ireland much.
    I think it's entirely possible for an immortal or similarly long lived entity to identify with the present day ethos of the land that he/she/it calls home. If anything a person like that might be more invested than others in the country's native and geopolitical concerns.