Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

so glad to see billy eilish and katy perry are british in the marvel cinematic universe

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Scientologist is right out then?
    That confuses it too much. It's either themmuns or ussuns.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    My friends and I have been trying to figure out if he's a protestant or a catholic. That is the general rule with Norn Iron.
    Judging by the one colour he’s wearing that’s not black or grey being Orange, I’m wagering Protestant.

Couldn't that just be a reference to the Republic of Ireland flag? Maybe he's in favour of Irish reunification?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Couldn't that just be a reference to the Republic of Ireland flag? Maybe he's in favour of Irish reunification?
    Then it would need to have green and white. Even if it chose one colour from the flag, it would be green and not orange as Ireland is the Emerald Isle. There’s only red and white in the Ulster flag. The Orange Order would be the most known usage of that colour in relation to good ole’ Norn Iron.

Astonishing Member

Orange is the colour most associated with the Protestant tradition in Irish history, that’s why we have it on our flag to begin with.

And a guy in favour of the territorial dissolution of the Union and Irish unification would probably be working for those appalling stereotypes, the Kinsmen

If Britannia (representing the true spirit of Great Britain, which is listed as her country) is pulling the heroes (each representing a country) together then it would make sense that it’s because of the political climate when large contingents of both Scotland and Northern Ireland no longer want association with Britain. This contingent in one is seeking independence and the other is seeking reunification. This could very well be a political tale beneath the shiny veneer of superheroics.

We already know Brexit has happened as in the real world because Captain Britain mentioned it.

Astonishing Member

On the other hand, even as the natural enemy of the unionist side, I find that any given character from NI in a work of fiction being on the Nationalist side of things is... cliche?
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 02-20-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    On the other hand, even as the natural enemy of the unionist side, I find that any given character from NI in a work of fiction being on the Nationalist side of things is... cliche?
    It’s a teaching I was raised on too in my small Catholic town. So I understand that lol. Being an adult, it’s easier to let bygones be bygones.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    This could very well be a political tale beneath the shiny veneer of superheroics.
    Now that, if done properly, would make me pick up the title. I've been reading Doom, but the state intrigue of Latveria just doesn't cut it for me. I could go for political suspense with more "real world" context and complications.

THE UNION #1 (OF 5)
    PAUL GRIST (W) • Andrea Di Vito (A) • Cover by R.B. Silva
    Variant Cover by Ema Lupacchino
    DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY R.B. SILVA
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    EMPYRE VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    The grand unveiling of The Union! A team of super heroes gathered from all over the United Kingdom, featuring Union Jack, Snakes, Kelpie, Choir, and their fearless leader, Brittania! But when disaster strikes on their first public debut, in the form of the invasion of Empyre, the fledgling team is immediately pushed to their limits! Don’t miss out on an exciting new chapter of Marvel from legendary creators, Paul Grist (JUDGE DREDD, JACK STAFF) and Andrea Di Vito!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Looking forward to this, I like me some UK based heroes. Hopefully it’s not overly Britain-cliched

To save people clicking on the link, the art sheets for the Union.

Britannia (Great Britain)
    Britannia.jpg

Kelpie (Scotland)
    Kelpie.jpg

Snakes (Northern Ireland)
    Snakes.jpg

The Choir (Wales)
    The Choir.jpg

Also, the title of this thread is incorrect. Britannia is the leader of the team, not Union Jack.

Would a Northern Irish Republican even want to be part of a team called Union. You'd think they would just tell Britannia to stuff it!

I wonder about the Welsh character. The Welsh arent as vocal as the Scottish or Northern Irish about seperating, but I hope that doesn't lead to Wales just becoming a yes-man or in this case woman.