Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,644

    Default Clark's and Diana's Powerset and Skills

    Curious how many powers does Diana have to Clark? How many powers should she have to Clark?

  2. #2
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I don't really care about powers. One of the reason i don't find superman interesting as a character is because he has too much power.
    As for Diana, considering how writers handle her powers 90% of the time, i prefer less powers better represented than too much powers never used.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Pretty much agree with Manakel.

    I like the set that Pérez provided for her, and it should be more than enough to differentiate her from the standard flying bricks. Have writers lean into her animal communication, her empathy, and her charisma.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    I don't know, they don't let you forget that Superman has freeze breath and heat vision. Diana on the other hand has powers used so rarely or are underdeveloped to the point that unless you're a fan you could miss them. I'm speaking specifically of unity with beasts and sisterhood with fire, but there are other tricks she has with possible storytelling applications that go underutilized.

    The lasso's fires of Hestia protecting the encircled from supernatural threats
    The lasso's trips through the mind that are almost like telepathy
    the mental radio is technological/magical telepathy
    The purple healing or death rays
    The heavy artillery capabilities on the invisible jet
    The magic sphere that can see the past or the future
    The tides of time allowing Themyscira to be anywhere at anytime
    The megalodons and mythological beasts on Themyscira available for offensive attacks
    The sandals of Hermes and the gauntlet of Atlas

    If everything counts and continuity is fluid, some of these things put to proper use could easily make Wonder Woman's powerset as varied as Superman's. That said I'm not a fan of her praying up new powers like when she was temporarily more insane than the Joker or getting the golden fleece as a dues ex machina or displaying new abilities like Wonder-breath to light the funeral pyre, just use what's been previously depicted well.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Pretty much agree with Manakel.

    I like the set that Pérez provided for her, and it should be more than enough to differentiate her from the standard flying bricks. Have writers lean into her animal communication, her empathy, and her charisma.
    This is what happens when you take too long writing your reply lol

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,644

    Default

    I mean in other comics She has superhearing and Super eyesight. She can create and make things which haven't been used in a while

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    I don't really care about powers. One of the reason i don't find superman interesting as a character is because he has too much power.
    As for Diana, considering how writers handle her powers 90% of the time, i prefer less powers better represented than too much powers never used.
    Can't say I agree!! I'm so sick of hearing superman is to powerful!! He isn't!!! You ask me their making the villains more powerful! All the heroes today serve as the villains punching bags!! It's getting hard and hard to read superheroes comics, they get their asses kicked to much!! The heroes need to be powerful!! WW need to be powerful!! She get her ass kicked a lot too!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 02-18-2020 at 07:55 PM.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't know, they don't let you forget that Superman has freeze breath and heat vision. Diana on the other hand has powers used so rarely or are underdeveloped to the point that unless you're a fan you could miss them. I'm speaking specifically of unity with beasts and sisterhood with fire, but there are other tricks she has with possible storytelling applications that go underutilized.

    The lasso's fires of Hestia protecting the encircled from supernatural threats
    The lasso's trips through the mind that are almost like telepathy
    the mental radio is technological/magical telepathy
    The purple healing or death rays
    The heavy artillery capabilities on the invisible jet
    The magic sphere that can see the past or the future
    The tides of time allowing Themyscira to be anywhere at anytime
    The megalodons and mythological beasts on Themyscira available for offensive attacks
    The sandals of Hermes and the gauntlet of Atlas

    If everything counts and continuity is fluid, some of these things put to proper use could easily make Wonder Woman's powerset as varied as Superman's. That said I'm not a fan of her praying up new powers like when she was temporarily more insane than the Joker or getting the golden fleece as a dues ex machina or displaying new abilities like Wonder-breath to light the funeral pyre, just use what's been previously depicted well.
    It should be pointed out that these aren't powers but tools or weapons. Super speed, super strength, flight etc are powers.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Curious how many powers does Diana have to Clark? How many powers should she have to Clark?
    If we go back to their original designs they each had superhuman versions of pretty much all human traits and abilities. Same for Cap. Wonder Woman has had soooooooooooooooo many of her superhuman abilities taken away that some like myself are opposed to further diminishing. I don't really see any reason all 3 of them cannot be exactly as they were designed to be. But then I don't find their vast powers and power levels problematic.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    If we go back to their original designs they each had superhuman versions of pretty much all human traits and abilities. Same for Cap. Wonder Woman has had soooooooooooooooo many of her superhuman abilities taken away that some like myself are opposed to further diminishing. I don't really see any reason all 3 of them cannot be exactly as they were designed to be. But then I don't find their vast powers and power levels problematic.
    Diana has more powers now than she had originally.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It should be pointed out that these aren't powers but tools or weapons. Super speed, super strength, flight etc are powers.
    Sure, that's why I called them "tricks". Superman has a few of his own.

    supermobile.jpg

    I'm blurring the line because Wonder Woman's tools aid her powers, her ability to know the truth comes from her lasso and her invulnerability to bullets is tied to her bracelets. Though with someone like Thor it's sometimes difficult to know what's coming from him (like weather manipulation) and what's coming from Mjolnir (flight).
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 02-19-2020 at 01:04 AM.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It should be pointed out that these aren't powers but tools or weapons. Super speed, super strength, flight etc are powers.
    By that logic, the lantern ring is a tool.

    In the world of superhero comics, the line between power-using and tool-using heroes seems a lot like a distinction without a difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana has more powers now than she had originally.
    True. However, I think writers nowadays are largely using a smaller set of her powers and abilities, and with less creativity. How long has it been since her unity with beasts was last brought up in the mainline continuity? Or her empathetic abilities?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,162

    Default

    For the OP, only thing I'd add is a consistent bullet invulnerability but otherwise her standard power set is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Sure, that's why I called them "tricks". Superman has a few of his own.

    supermobile.jpg

    I'm blurring the line because Wonder Woman's tools aid her powers, her ability to know the truth comes from her lasso and her invulnerability to bullets is tied to her bracelets. Though it's not as much as Thor because with him it's sometimes to know what coming from him (like weather manipulation) and what's coming from Mjolnir (flight).
    "Aiding her powers" isn't what they do. Spider-Man's web shooters aid his powers by taking advantage of his speed and agility to swing around but he is still inhumanely fast and agile without them.


    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    By that logic, the lantern ring is a tool.
    I have never seen anyone disagree with that so, yeah, that proves my point.

  14. #14
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    I don't really care about powers. One of the reason i don't find superman interesting as a character is because he has too much power.
    As for Diana, considering how writers handle her powers 90% of the time, i prefer less powers better represented than too much powers never used.
    I see your point. But most writers in current years don't do a very good job at representing her powers at all. She hasn't had a wow moment in a while. And by that i mean without being wrapped up in somebody else's power. This is not just a problem about power level in itself. There is also another problem, and that other problem is, that whatever her current power level is, she feels under used.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For the OP, only thing I'd add is a consistent bullet invulnerability but otherwise her standard power set is fine.



    "Aiding her powers" isn't what they do. Spider-Man's web shooters aid his powers by taking advantage of his speed and agility to swing around but he is still inhumanely fast and agile without them.




    I have never seen anyone disagree with that so, yeah, that proves my point.
    My point is a hero is more than just their powers, their powers can and should be augmented by whatever else they have available. Wonder Woman's powers include super-speed, extreme durability and a healing factor, she doesn't need invulnerability to bullets because she has bullet proof bracelets to block them. The bracelets aid her powers and other tools in her arsenal can do the same, in order to make her rival Superman. He has more raw power but she has more experience and better training. That's useless though if you take away her weapons, they're an intrinsic part of her powerset.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •