Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The whole Kylo Ren/Rey connection was a swing/miss

I don't know why did they try to connect the two so tightly, they share so little in common other than being force users.

Kylo Ren's conflict has to do with Luke and his parents, Rey has to do with Palpatine. So it was completely different. And both of their conflict was missed. Especially Rey with Palpatine, that's one of the weakest part of ST. Even PT did a much better job on Anakin and Palpatine.

It is kind of weird the grandchildren of both of the Empire's Sith lords both brought an end to the saga..

Although I suppose there's some historical precedent. Certain dynasties sometimes undid or rebuked the actions of their ancestors.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-18-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

Both are descendants of the two final reigning Sith (Vader and Sidious). Rey's parents are nobodies but her grandfather wasn't which is juxtaposed against Ben's parents being heroes in the OT. Rey is born into nothing with Ben being essentially royalty. Rey lacked her parents and Ben's had been afraid of him sending him away. Both are sent far away to protect them be it Rey from Palpatine finding her and Ben learning to be a Jedi to protect him from himself.

They both start from roughly the same place and for the most part balance each other out both on a narrative level and on a spiritual level from being on the opposite sides of the conflicts and aspects of the force.

TROS is the weakest part of the sequels to me but I wont deny I got Kylo Ren and Rey.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Both are descendants of the two final reigning Sith (Vader and Sidious).

Rey's parents are nobodies but her grandfather wasn't which is juxtaposed against Ben's parents being heroes in the OT.
    That means nothing because neither had any influence on them,

Rey is born into nothing with Ben being essentially royalty. Rey lacked her parents and Ben's had been afraid of him sending him away. Both are sent far away to protect them be it Rey from Palpatine finding her and Ben learning to be a Jedi to protect him from himself.
    Yeah thus they got little similarity or connection

They both start from roughly the same place and for the most part balance each other out both on a narrative level and on a spiritual level from being on the opposite sides of the conflicts and aspects of the force.
    No, Kylo Ren started as the child of great heroes and Rey started as nobody, Rey actually had much more similarity with Luke. They had nothing in common, even less than Vader and Luke in ANH. Vader and Luke got together because they are father and son, their action were directly connected. It has non in Kylo Ren and Rey.

Pretty sure Vader definetly had some influence on Ben. Not living influence, but it's obvious he patterned himself after him (and possibly thought he heard Vader's force ghost, as TFA and ROS both implied).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Pretty sure Vader definetly had some influence on Ben. Not living influence, but it's obvious he patterned himself after him (and possibly thought he heard Vader's force ghost, as TFA and ROS both implied).
    That actually makes no sense because Vader redeemed himself in the end, admitted all his mistakes. If there is trouble he could speak with his grandson as Anakin Skywalker.

I meant Palpatine impersonating Vader (I should have made that clear) "I have been every voice inside your head". The real Anakin of course talked to Rey at the end.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    That actually makes no sense because Vader redeemed himself in the end, admitted all his mistakes. If there is trouble he could speak with his grandson as Anakin Skywalker.
    Ben either didn't know that or didn't care and either way had Palpatine speaking to him as Vader. So as far as Ben knew at the time, Vader was telling him it was all bullshit.

The dark-side in the Prequels also establishes that the Sith corrupt the heroes ability to cut through the bullshit with the force, and it actually requires some effort on their parts to connect with the ghosts. They don't just pop up as even Qui-gon showed up during the Clone Wars and nobody had any idea what Yoda was on about. Outside of planets strong in the force or very powerful individuals it does require some effort. A blatant example of this is Endor since as far as anybody at the party knew, Luke was smiling at a wooden fence instead of three Jedi.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Yes, interesting that Anakin couldn't be a**** to help his abused neglected grandson, but happily gave aid and succour to Palpatine's granddaughter.

Mighty Member

I don't know why did they try to connect the two so tightly, they share so little in common other than being force users.

Kylo Ren's conflict has to do with Luke and his parents, Rey has to do with Palpatine. So it was completely different. And both of their conflict was missed. Especially Rey with Palpatine, that's one of the weakest part of ST. Even PT did a much better job on Anakin and Palpatine.
    Prior to TROS, I think they had a lot in common. Both had access to tremendous power, that frightened them. Both had been abandoned by their parents. Both were desperately lonely. Kylo was drawn to Rey because he saw a kindred spirit. Rey was drawn to Kylo because he understood her.

TFA showed a chemistry between them. TLJ continued it. But TROS threw it in the trash compactor along with everything else.

BANNED

I thought that was the point. They were connected through the force. That being said, from what I saw in TROS, it seemed as if most force users have some kind of connection.

I am not quite sure what you mean by conflict. But I would say that Rey's main conflict is with herself. Her abandonment issues and her struggle to define herself as a person.

She had a conflict with Palpy, but not the way you are implying. She hated him and she wanted him dead, not due to some power he had over her. She wanted him dead because he killed her parents and turned her childhood into a living hell. By the end of the TLJ she had evolved so much in defining herself and deciding on who her family was. That her lineage had no hold on her. That's the main reason she didn't have to think twice about turning down her grandfathers offer to take over the Sith.