Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Aphrodite and Athena may be represented in cards, who knows? There are certainly relics judging from that "How to Play" video with Athena's name on it.

    And less pieces/complexity would be awful IMO. This game doesn't seem too targeted towards the Monopoly crowd but rather adult tabletop players who prefer strategy.
    As mini games go this one seems rather simple.

  2. #17
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    There's strategy in Monopoly, just saying.

    That's a super cool image, love Jenny Frison's work and Mala's twin daggers!

    Also love KJN's reply it was hilarious.
    There was strategy in Dark Tower, also.

    The pieces were also well-appointed, in how they could be applied to the game - war, survival, protection, travel...magic! And The ART...gorgeous! The game was planned and artistically designed very well, and, while it might not be fair, that's the standard that I keep in mind, for games, like this one.I

    As I said, ..someone will be entertained by it, if only because WW is in it.
    Look alive, Kangaliers!

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    There was strategy in Dark Tower, also.

    The pieces were also well-appointed, in how they could be applied to the game - war, survival, protection, travel...magic! And The ART...gorgeous! The game was planned and artistically designed very well, and, while it might not be fair, that's the standard that I keep in mind, for games, like this one.I

    As I said, ..someone will be entertained by it, if only because WW is in it.
    As one person pointed out to me in the past, you can add cool minis to spice up a board game after you buy it. But you need to buy it first. If the base cost to buy the game is prohibitive, that reduces the size of the target audience quite a lot. Cost of this is 35$. How much more would it cost with more figures? As-is you can buy it for 35$ and add more figures later.

    Also I disagree that Dark Tower looks better. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1070017/dark-tower

    DT looks... ok. The buildings are nice, if a bit generic. Not very many actual figures. I have no idea why you like the art. It looks boring to me.

    The main difference is this doesn't have a giant tower prop. The figures in this game are nicely detailed. they're not full color, but painted to look like bronze statues. The board is a stylized layout of Themiscyra. I like it. It looks like an actual place and not filler art.

    Pretty sure most people aren't gonna compare a game made in 2020 directly with a game made in 1981. And moreover I don't get the logic of "this game was the best ever and everything else sucks in comparison." Like you say, it's not fair.

  4. #19
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,801

    Default

    Bought the game immediately this morning! I forced my boyfriend to play with me not long after.

    It's very fun, but surprisingly difficult. It also looks like it's kinda simple at first glance, but offers some really cool strategy to it.

    We played against Ares as the game suggests for first playthrough. I used Diana (natch) and he used Nubia. Early in, I thought we were going to steamroll Ares, but I went for the Sword of Hephaestus too early and ended up being a complete dumbass, summoning 6 amazons that then got corrupted when Ares moved into my space. And I was right by the Palace, too, so they moved right into it. It's really damn hard to get rid of them. So we ended up losing... But it was really fun, and I'm excited to play it with my regular gaming group.

  5. #20
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Bought the game immediately this morning! I forced my boyfriend to play with me not long after.

    It's very fun, but surprisingly difficult. It also looks like it's kinda simple at first glance, but offers some really cool strategy to it.

    We played against Ares as the game suggests for first playthrough. I used Diana (natch) and he used Nubia. Early in, I thought we were going to steamroll Ares, but I went for the Sword of Hephaestus too early and ended up being a complete dumbass, summoning 6 amazons that then got corrupted when Ares moved into my space. And I was right by the Palace, too, so they moved right into it. It's really damn hard to get rid of them. So we ended up losing... But it was really fun, and I'm excited to play it with my regular gaming group.
    Glad you enjoyed it! I'd like to play someday too.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Bought the game immediately this morning! I forced my boyfriend to play with me not long after.

    It's very fun, but surprisingly difficult. It also looks like it's kinda simple at first glance, but offers some really cool strategy to it.

    We played against Ares as the game suggests for first playthrough. I used Diana (natch) and he used Nubia. Early in, I thought we were going to steamroll Ares, but I went for the Sword of Hephaestus too early and ended up being a complete dumbass, summoning 6 amazons that then got corrupted when Ares moved into my space. And I was right by the Palace, too, so they moved right into it. It's really damn hard to get rid of them. So we ended up losing... But it was really fun, and I'm excited to play it with my regular gaming group.
    Sounds like a lot of fun. You can't make the game TOO easy or it's no fun.

  7. #22
    Relic Seeker Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ravnica
    Posts
    4,061

    Default

    I tried to get it today, but it wasn't available yet!
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,023

    Default

    An in-depth review with plenty of pictures. Based on that, I might drop it as a possibility at the local gaming club.

    Though I would prefer if the Colosseum had been called the Hippodrome or the Amphitheatre, and the Monument to Zeus had been to Demeter or some other goddess… but now I'm nitpicking in the extreme.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  9. #24
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    48,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    An in-depth review with plenty of pictures. Based on that, I might drop it as a possibility at the local gaming club.

    Though I would prefer if the Colosseum had been called the Hippodrome or the Amphitheatre, and the Monument to Zeus had been to Demeter or some other goddess… but now I'm nitpicking in the extreme.
    I see they included the Big Three (Cheetah, Ares, and Circe).

  10. #25
    Relic Seeker Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ravnica
    Posts
    4,061

    Default

    I braved the Corona malls to purchase this game yesterday, though I won't be able to play with some freindos for a while.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •