Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Name your all-time favorite daytime soap opera

For those who watched daytime soap operas, what is your all-time favorite. I've listed the ones I remember in my lifetime (not familiar with some of the foreign or telenovela ones), but you can name any that's ever aired.

All My Children
    Another World
    As The World Turns
    Bold and the Beautiful
    Capital
    The City
    Dark Shadows
    Days Of Our Lives
    The Edge of Night
    General Hospital
    The Guiding Light
    Love Of Life
    Loving
    One Life To Live
    Passions
    Port Charles
    Ryan's Hope
    Santa Barbara
    Search For Tomorrow
    Texas
    The Young And The Restless
    Last edited by caj; 02-19-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Another World and Days of Our Lives!!!

(But yeah, throw in a tiny amount of General Hospital and Santa Barbara, lol!)

Retired

I'll just list all the ones I can remember watching, beginning with my favourites and working my way down:

ALL MY CHILDREN
    DARK SHADOWS
    CORONATION STREET
    THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
    LOVE OF LIFE
    ONE LIFE TO LIVE
    GENERAL HOSPITAL
    DAYS OF OUR LIVES
    RYAN'S HOPE
    PASSIONS
    ANOTHER WORLD
    TRAIN 48
    THE BEST OF EVERYTHING
    LOVING
    THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

I know that I also sometimes watched THE GUIDING LIGHT, AS THE WORLD TURNS, THE EDGE OF NIGHT and SEARCH FOR TOMORROW--I remember their openings--but I don't remember much else about them now.

Days of Our Lives it was awesome in the 80's.

When I got expelled in middle school. I was home all day and would watch General Hospital with my mom. Mob boss Sunny and his enforcer Jason. I think James Franco might have been on there too around that time as a painter or someshit. Possibly a serial killer, iono was a long time ago.

Niffleheim

1. Bold and the Beautiful
    2. The Young And The Restless

I was always a fan of Bill Bell's writing (by the way i'm not that old in my country we received the shows a few years/decades behind.) Anyway i stopped watching the shows a long time ago they went downhill after his death. (As Marvel Zombies i would be described as a CBS Bell soap shill because i only watch these two CBS shows religiously and thought the other soap networks to be **** and cheap looking lol)

3. Days Of Our Lives
    4. Passion

James E Riley the great writer of camp and supernatural soap insanity. His crazy writing was the only time i strayed away from the Bell soaps. Loved him to bits.
    Last edited by Tofali; 02-19-2020 at 01:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    When I got expelled in middle school. I was home all day and would watch General Hospital with my mom. Mob boss Sunny and his enforcer Jason. I think James Franco might have been on there too around that time as a painter or someshit. Possibly a serial killer, iono was a long time ago.
    James Franco did indeed play Franco the artist on General Hospital and he was a killer. Once JF left and they re-cast the role, it was discovered he had a brain tumor that caused his bad behavior. If I tried to explain his current storyline to you, it would give us both a bad headache for sure. LOL

Passions. It mixed supernatural and comedic elements, which made it stand out.

Extraordinary Member

I remember my Mother watching Love of Life, Search For Tomorrow, As The World Turns, The Edge of Night, Days Of Our Lives, and Another World back when all soaps were a half hour long.

When soaps began to expand to one hour and change networks, she eventually only watched The Young And The Restless and As The World Turns. Looking back, it might would've been better for the industry if soaps had stayed at a half hour in length.

Retired

There was a period in the 1970s when some ABC soaps were 45 minutes. I'm blanking on which ones.

LOVE OF LIFE was the half hour soap that my mother watched from before I was born--that was on channel 12, which was the only American channel we could get with a somewhat clear signal in Vancouver, Canada. Once we got cable in about 1969, we could get all the American channels and my mother started to watch a lot more soaps, especially those on ABC--GENERAL HOSPITAL, ONE LIFE TO LIVE, DARK SHADOWS. Then in the early '70s, there were the new soaps, ALL MY CHILDREN, RYAN'S HOPE, THE BEST OF EVERYTHING--and over on CBS, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. For some reason my mother never got into the NBC soaps--I only discovered those later, on my own, after I'd left home.

CORONATION STREET was always available in Canada, locally on channel 2, so you didn't need cable to watch that. I would sometimes turn it on just to laugh at the funny way they talked--yet I didn't really get into it until the 1990s and have watched it (off and on) since then. What I liked about CORRIE was that a whole day transpired in one half hour, so each episode had a sense of completion. But now they do an hour and sometimes a day can stretch over a few episodes, so it feels more American in that way.

TRAIN 48 was a short lived half hour Canadian soap (2003 to 2005). It was recorded and broadcast on the same day and all took place on board a car of the GO train in Metro Toronto, in real time, with actors improvising their lines. It featured a core group of Toronto actors that have gone on to do several other things, including Joe Dinicol, who played Ragman on ARROW.

Port Charles was so good when it was on!
    General Hospital (I still watch it now)

Another World gets an honorable mention

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    James Franco did indeed play Franco the artist on General Hospital and he was a killer. Once JF left and they re-cast the role, it was discovered he had a brain tumor that caused his bad behavior. If I tried to explain his current storyline to you, it would give us both a bad headache for sure. LOL
    Lol sounds about right. I tried watching years later but Jason was gone and the show didnt have the same appeal for me. I think my mom said that actor came back at some point but as a different character or some crap.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah he’s player by Roger Howarth now who player Todd Manning on One Life to Live.

All My Children with One Life To Live a close second.

Fantastic Member

Sunset beach. Bloody classic