Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

My favorite time watching Guiding Light was the early 80s through the early 90s. This was when the show was about the 4 Musketeers (Phillip, Beth, Mindy & Rick) and the show evolved into centering on the Bauer, Spaulding, Lewis, Cooper, and Shayne families. It was so great in those days. Pamela K. Long was the best head writer the show ever had and because of her, the show was able to hold its own airing at the same time as the mighty General Hospital in most areas.

I loved Another World during the late 70s, all through the 80s, and the early 90s that Comic Reader Lad spoke about (although it was hard saying goodbye to Mac Cory, whose portrayer Douglass Watson passed away).

As The World Turns was my show all through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. That last decade it was on was pretty painful, but I watched it anyway. The Hughes, Lowell/Stewart, Walsh, and Snyder families were pure gold.

These three soaps were all Proctor and Gamble soaps and were always family oriented, which made them so good. But P&G wanted out of the soap opera business and by 2010, all three were off the air. So sad.

ALL MY CHILDREN and GENERAL HOSPITAL were my big two. I mean, come on, Erica Kane, Luke and Laura!

I watched every soap that ABC aired in the 80s at some point—EGDE OF NIGHT, RYAN’S HOPE, ONE LIFE TO LIVE, LOVING.

When I heard about ALL MY CHILDREN’S cancellation it was like a knife in the chest even though I hadn’t been a regular viewer for twenty years.

Anyone remember when they did the whole "If They Met" shorts on ABC? They were self-contained crossovers. I forget all of them but I know they had Erica Kane meet Sonny Corninthos in an elevator that got stuck, and Todd Manning (Trevor St. John) meete Spinelli on a flight. I think they had Luke meet Vicki, too.

Days of our Lives because of its sci-fi/fantasy elements, especially during the 1990s through the early 2000s. It was always good mindless fun if you checked your brain at the door, IMHO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-21-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Days of our Lives because of its sci-fi/fantasy elements, especially during the 1990s through the early 2000s. It was always good mindless fun if you checked your brain at the door, IMHO.
    Didn't Marlena become possessed by the devil at one point? LOL
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Didn't Marlena become possessed by the devil at one point? LOL
    She sure did lol. Plus, people routinely returned from the dead even after their bodies were destroyed (burnt to ashes, or autopsied, or after donating organs). They also had a Doctor Frankenstein character and alien twins (it's a long story).
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-21-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Days of our Lives! The show where the couples were super. But not since the early 90s when it was good. The 80s-early 90s was probably some of the best SOAPS ever. It should end now , though. It's awful. If it goes off the air in won't be a bad thing much like the Simpsons.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Loved 'Think of Laura' by Christopher Cross.

GH had a lot of music on the show. I remember 'Baby Come To Me', which I believe was Luke and Holly's song. 'All I Need' by Jack Wagner (who played Frisco Jones, Maxie's bio dad) was also played on the show.

And 'Rise' by Herb Albert was playing when Luke raped Laura on the disco floor in 1979.
    People mistook it for a seduction scene and they went with it. Never got into GH, though.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Days of our Lives! The show where the couples were super. But not since the early 90s when it was good. The 80s-early 90s was probably some of the best SOAPS ever. It should end now , though. It's awful. If it goes off the air in won't be a bad thing much like the Simpsons.

People mistook it for a seduction scene and they went with it. Never got into GH, though.
    Days has been renewed for another year which means we get DOOL through 2021!

Extraordinary Member

Soaps have had some strange and unique ways of killing off characters.

One I remember was from As The World Turns during the 1970s. It was the first (and maybe the only) time that a character died from falling UP the stairs.

Liz Talbot Stewart had been married to Paul Stewart but had an affair with his brother Dan. As a result of the affair, Liz gave birth to Dan's daughter Betsy and the two married. Dan's ex-wife Susan, who was an alcoholic, was extremely jealous of Dan's affections for Liz. While taking care of Betsy, a drunk Susan left the baby gate open at the top of the stairs. When Liz saw young Betsy teetering at the top of the stairs, she ran up to save her. As a result, Liz ruptured her spleen running up the stairs and died.