Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Baba Yaga vs Doctor Doom

Baba Yaga: https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Baba_Yaga

vs

2015 movie Doctor Doom

I was about to say she gets vaporized but then I noticed the 2015 Doom thing.

Honestly she should be able to from the jump act first and thus via advanced obfuscate movie Doom no longer even thinks she's there. At that point she has all the time in the world to come up with whatever thing.

Though really unless someone can come up with some kickass willpower performance for terrible movie Doom, by "come up with whatever thing", I mean she just uses dominate. Or, yeesh, her bemusingly advanced presence discipline. She doesn't even really need to bother with obfuscate in that sense. Just make majesty backed with ironclad command go, and there you are.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 02-18-2020 at 06:00 PM.

I'm unfamiliar with this character. Does she have some sort of speed edge?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Yeah. Not metric tons of it or anything, but unless 2015 movie Doom has enhanced reaction time she doesn't really need tons.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Yeah. Not metric tons of it or anything, but unless 2015 movie Doom has enhanced reaction time she doesn't really need tons.
    Eh, not really. I was wondering if this was a quick draw situation but seems not.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with this character. Does she have some sort of speed edge?

Or? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsRA_KtogSk
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-18-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I got confused with my versions of Baba Yaga and momentarily had a small hope that this was going to be Frau Totenkinder from Fables versus comic Doom. That would be rad.

Actually, I'll just make the thread myself.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 02-19-2020 at 04:39 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I was about to say she gets vaporized but then I noticed the 2015 Doom thing.

Honestly she should be able to from the jump act first and thus via advanced obfuscate movie Doom no longer even thinks she's there. At that point she has all the time in the world to come up with whatever thing.

Though really unless someone can come up with some kickass willpower performance for terrible movie Doom, by "come up with whatever thing", I mean she just uses dominate. Or, yeesh, her bemusingly advanced presence discipline. She doesn't even really need to bother with obfuscate in that sense. Just make majesty backed with ironclad command go, and there you are.
    Or basically pulls him apart. Unless Doom in the 2015 movie has the kind of oomph to withstand her level of strength, which I guess is possible.

Or does something awful with Thaumaturgy, which is also ridiculously high for her.

Out of the Methuselahs actually given stats, Baba Yaga wasn't exactly a lightweight.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Doesn't she also have Iron claws and monstrous beasts at her beck and call?

Could Doom fight her even without Presence and Obfuscate? Trying to get an idea of where she is physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    Doesn't she also have Iron claws and monstrous beasts at her beck and call?

Could Doom fight her even without Presence and Obfuscate? Trying to get an idea of where she is physically.
    Don't know if the following will have a lot of meaning to most, but....

She's surprisingly not enormously physically powerful by the standards of all fiction, but that's because Vampire the Masquerade doesn't go for Class 100 vampires (outside of Antediluvians) . Her Strength is a couple of notches higher than 'Throw a truck' (by truck, we're talking delivery truck), but not a lot (so maybe 'toss around a semi?). She's not at all in the 'Splits Mountains' range. Speedwise, she's far, far faster than a normal human, but not into speedster territory (Celerity is 'only' three with a Dexterity of six). Toughness, she clocks in slightly tougher than she is strong.

Her top powers are (oddly enough for a Nosferatu) Presence, Dominate, and Thaumaturgy, that last easily being equal or greater to any vampire not named Tremere (including all of Tremere's 4th generation toadies). But her disciplines (including Auspex, Obfuscate, Animalism, Fortitude, Potence, as well as the ones already noted) in general range between 7 and 9, with a couple of 3's (Protean and the aforementioned Celerity), so she's ridonkously powerful even for a Methuselah. Her stats are ALL between 6 and 9 (except appearance, natch), many of her skills are in the same range....

...and she is noted to have the derangement 'Delusions(?) of Grandeur'. I didn't add the question mark myself, either.

Given she's one of the older Methuselahs, clocking in at over 7000 years (Kindred like Helena and Menele aren't even close), this is not surprising.

Here.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Don't know if the following will have a lot of meaning to most, but....

She's surprisingly not enormously physically powerful by the standards of all fiction, but that's because Vampire the Masquerade doesn't go for Class 100 vampires (outside of Antediluvians) . Her Strength is a couple of notches higher than 'Throw a truck' (by truck, we're talking delivery truck), but not a lot (so maybe 'toss around a semi?). She's not at all in the 'Splits Mountains' range. Speedwise, she's far, far faster than a normal human, but not into speedster territory (Celerity is 'only' three with a Dexterity of six). Toughness, she clocks in slightly tougher than she is strong.

Her top powers are (oddly enough for a Nosferatu) Presence, Dominate, and Thaumaturgy, that last easily being equal or greater to any vampire not named Tremere (including all of Tremere's 4th generation toadies). But her disciplines (including Auspex, Obfuscate, Animalism, Fortitude, Potence, as well as the ones already noted) in general range between 7 and 9, with a couple of 3's (Protean and the aforementioned Celerity), so she's ridonkously powerful even for a Methuselah. Her stats are ALL between 6 and 9 (except appearance, natch), many of her skills are in the same range....

...and she is noted to have the derangement 'Delusions(?) of Grandeur'. I didn't add the question mark myself, either.

Given she's one of the older Methuselahs, clocking in at over 7000 years (Kindred like Helena and Menele aren't even close), this is not surprising.

Here.
    Hmm, is seven Potence really throw a truck level? I thought it'd be somewhat higher. I suppose the Disciplines grow exponentially though.

Throwing trucks around might not be enough to hurt 2015 Doom, I suppose. Not that it matters because of the mental Disciplines + magic, but yeah.

IMO, Potence levels should correspond to superhuman levels of strength in a systematic way, whether a arithmetic or geometric progression. But White Wolf writers weren't big on the maths, so in the previous editions, Potence instead gave automatic successes on strength rolls, up until level 6. After level 6, players could choose to express their higher Potence levels as additional successes, or a unique strength-type power for each higher level. In V5 edition, they made some of the old custom powers official now. Examples include: ability to create shockwaves by hitting the ground, lethal damage with hand strikes, or spend a point of Willpower to become immovably rooted to the ground, like 616 Marvel's Blob. It isn't until Potence level 9 that a vampire might be able to throw a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    IMO, Potence levels should correspond to superhuman levels of strength in a systematic way, whether a arithmetic or geometric progression. But White Wolf writers weren't big on the maths, so in the previous editions, Potence instead gave automatic successes on strength rolls, up until level 6. After level 6, players could choose to express their higher Potence levels as additional successes, or a unique strength-type power for each higher level. In V5 edition, they made some of the old custom powers official now. Examples include: ability to create shockwaves by hitting the ground, lethal damage with hand strikes, or spend a point of Willpower to become immovably rooted to the ground, like 616 Marvel's Blob. It isn't until Potence level 9 that a vampire might be able to throw a truck.
    It really comes down to how it adds to your base strength rating, you combine it and potence to get what you can do. 15 combined is throw a truck, which Baba Yaga comes in at (strength 8+ potence 7) before spending blood or whatever.

She could also spend blood to raise strength to take her total somewhat beyond that.

There's also a potence 9 power that actually takes you considerably beyond such things. Not anywhere near antediluvian "punch mountain in half" stuff, but to the point where throwing a truck is pretty solidly beneath you.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 02-19-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    Hmm, is seven Potence really throw a truck level? I thought it'd be somewhat higher. I suppose the Disciplines grow exponentially though.

Throwing trucks around might not be enough to hurt 2015 Doom, I suppose. Not that it matters because of the mental Disciplines + magic, but yeah.
    As noted by others, it's not really worked out well in the sense of maths. There is a truly vast gulf between level 9 and level 10 of any discipline, though (as Pendaran and Shellhead point out) there are some specific powers one can take with Potence (rather than the usual 'I just want to do more damage') that mimic higher-level Strength feats.

But the strength chart is pretty...meh when compared to comic book strength. On the chart which both Pendaran and I reference, it tops out at 'Throw a Truck', which is a total strength of 15 (including Potence). Baba Yaga can easily manage 16 by spending blood (a whopping 1 point out of her potential 40 or so), and arguably can go higher by using both blood and Thaumaturgy...though not much (some GM's might allow her to use Thaumaturgy to access stats of 10, giving her a total of 17 in Strength + Potence). A couple of notches above 'Throw a delivery truck' isn't exactly big, working with how the Chart tends to go up point by point; I would guess it would be somewhere around 'lift and throw 5 tons', but that's all.

Aaaaaand...that's what we have for her - we don't know if she has one of those Potence powers that massively increase a vampire's 'lift and throw' potential, or whatever...and given she has 'only' Potence 7, it's doubtful. In-game? She totally doesn't need it. Potence 7 + Strength 9 + Wolf's Claws (Protean 3) = Pull lesser Kindred apart, 'lesser' Kindred being people like 'The entire Brujah Council of Russia' (or whatever they called themselves, I can't remember).

Basically White Wolf Vampire stats and powers weren't exactly made for comparisons to comic book Superheroes. ^_^ One can go some distance using game mechanics, but that's it.
    Why are we here?

Basically White Wolf Vampire stats and powers weren't exactly made for comparisons to comic book Superheroes. ^_^ One can go some distance using game mechanics, but that's it.
    Weeeelllll…. it varies. Presence 9 for instance can be "Presence the whole city". There are various Koldunic sorcery powers with an area of miles. There's abyss mysticsm that lets you blot out the sun for an hour over a considerable area. There's a level 8-9 thaumaturgy ritual that lets you straight up erase things from reality (up to a building) like they never were. Basically with vampires it's more the non physical stuff that is on some interesting varieties of crack once you start getting up there.

That said, being able to pick up and throw a truck is already "lift and throw 5 tons" honestly.

There's also a sharp difference between "things vampires can do in the fiction material" and "the terrible attempts to stat them to represent that". So for instance Menele can call up elemental spirits that let him cause volcanic eruptions to the point that the reason for Pompeii in the WoD is "Menele frenzied", but you wouldn't know it to look at his points. Mithras, before a bunch of terrible recent retcons from a developer doing straight up self insert fanfiction in ways I don't have the strength to describe, could take being incendiary bombed to the face during the Blitz, which should be a death sentence for vampires, and only get knocked into torpor, then wake up decades later and while still weak still physically kill out an entire sept of werewolves (and then yes, be expended enough afterwards that some rando neonate could roll up and diablerize him, but then have his sheer will be such that he just takes over the neonate's body from within).