Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default *Nods to MichaelC* Frau Totenkinder (Fables) versus Doctor Doom (Marvel)

I thought this might be a fun magical throwdown.

The wicked witch of Fables fame takes on the armoured king of Latveria.

The battle takes place at Fabletown. Totenkinder has had three days to prepare for this battle, knowing that it will test her like she has never been tested before. She has all her powers at their peak as they were when she fought Mr Dark.

Doom knows what Totenkinder is and is expecting a magical duel, but he has not taken any specific action because he's arrogant as heck.

Can the Eater of Children take down the mechanised monarch?

Alright, I appreciate that Fables is pretty niche by modern standards. I don't know if I know Doom well enough to judge this but I'll take a crack it.

To give some background on Totenkinder first;

Totenkinder is the wicked witch from the stories and her power was so deep and refined that the North Wind, one of the Great Powers that govern fundamental magical forces in the Fables multiverse, reckoned that she was very close to reaching the level of transcending her conventional self into being an embodiment for the concept of witchcraft.

Totenkinder is thousands of years old and has spent centuries building up her reserves in Fabletown and establishing it as her place of power. Other witches who have fought against her got crushed in short order and those who worked alongside her still commented that they had no idea how deep and complicated her powers actually were.

Her best feat is battling Mr Dark, the Great Power who represents the concept of Fear, Darkness and Evil. She wins the fight but is unable to actually kill him. Instead, she greatly reduces his power and she attempts sealing him away but it ultimately doesn't hold and he breaks free and she is so spent from the effort of the first fight that she is unable to combat him after that.

He then withers her into dust. This fails to kill her because of course it does.

For context, the Great Powers are on the level that they influence the reality of entire worlds just by being on them. The North Wind points out to Mr Dark that if they actually fought on Earth then the planet would be destroyed in the fallout. Totenkinder putting hands on one of the Great Powers is pretty ridiculous.

Her powers are... hard to define. Off the top of my head, she's demonstrated the following abilities:

- Freezing people with a word or gesture
    - Summoning objects, monsters and or constructs to do her bidding.
    - Shapeshifting, usually herself into a kind of snake-dragon thing with knives for hands
    - Seeing through the eyes of others
    - Magical shields
    - Transmutation of objects/people/magical creatures
    - Surviving in the desolate wastes of the magical realm of the North Wind on the dregs of her power
    - When what little remained of her power was halved, she used a suicidal spell that detonated all her remaining magical offence in one blast and the force of the explosion obliterated Castle Dark that had been built on Fabletown. (Think like a multistory classic fairy tale castle but evil). This also left her at death's door.
    - Ambiguous future knowledge

So, in short, a highly skilled, ancient and deeply powerful witch.

She also wields two daggers, Judgement and Ruin, which are magical blades that can even wound Mr Dark.

I think she has a good shot at beating Doom but his mastery of tech might give him the edge.

I think her attacks can be more subtle when she wants them to be. She's also exceedingly perceptive. I think even though Doom knows what she is, he'd still underestimate her. She could bend things around her to play up her frail exterior and scheme for Doom to let his guard down. Doom's arrogance is his weakness here, I'd think, if Totenkinder can successfully exploit it. It's not guaranteed, of course, as Doom's no dummy, but he could summon his Doombots and level Fabletown if he felt it was needed. He has prep, but has arrogantly decided not to do anything specific, but that doesn't mean, he wouldn't use his numerous 'at the ready' resources. I think it just comes down to how arrogant Doom gets and if that blinds him to how powerful and sneaky Totenkinder is.

Frau Totenkinder freezes Doom with a word, and that likely bypasses his force field, armor, and will power. I don't think think that Doom walks around with mystical auto-shields in place, though he should. Doom can try the Ovoid Mind Transfer on her, and that may work since it is based on alien psionics and not magic. Then she can likely cancel her own spell on her new body. While she would be unlikely to take much advantage from Doom's armor, she would retain all of her knowledge and experience. Meanwhile, Doom has just lost all his tech. That turns this to a strictly magical battle, and Frau Totenkinder has a massive advantage. Doom loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I thought this might be a fun magical throwdown.
    As would Frau Totenkinder vs Granny Weatherwax....

I have no idea who would win either contest, btw. Totenkinder sounds just a bit too magically potent for prepless Doom, but don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Frau Totenkinder freezes Doom with a word, and that likely bypasses his force field, armor, and will power. I don't think think that Doom walks around with mystical auto-shields in place, though he should.
    On this spell specifically, when Totenkinder used it on Cinderella, the latter was wearing highly advanced magically imbued clothes and, after was able to break free of it after around a minute or so. Totenkinder could have killed her but she was monologuing.

It was also worth nothing that Totenkinder was a shadow of her former self at this time so at full power it would be much harder to break.

It does seem like she's a tad too much for Doom, based on the fact that Doom may not have resistances to being transmuted. But if he does, he could probably pull something out to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    As would Frau Totenkinder vs Granny Weatherwax....

I have no idea who would win either contest, btw. Totenkinder sounds just a bit too magically potent for prepless Doom, but don't really know.
    Unrelated, but Granny has the ability to defend against being magical transmutation on top of having fairly potent telepathic abilities, based on her fights.

So, while she doesn't have the raw power that Totenkinder has, unless Totenkinder has serious mind whammy defences, she's probably boned.