Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    X-Files: When Mulder left...
    24: When Jack got addicted in season 3, I was out.
    Looking back, I find it harder to watch all 22 episodes of the X-Files for certain seasons. I find that there are a few episodes that I love so much that I'd just jump right into those ones. Episodes like D.P.O, Pusher, Rush are ones that I think I can watch over and over. However, some of them are pretty hard for me to get through.

It's weird about 24, because I thought season 3 was alright...absolutely hated season 4, but I'm glad I stuck around for season 5 as I think season 5 is the best season of 24. That includes the 1 and 2, which were both pretty intense, IMO.

As for me? I watched season 6 and 7, but I could have sworn I heard or read somewhere that Eric Kripke wanted to make Supernatural a 5-season show (Mandela Effect, maybe?). When season 4 hits, you can tell just how epic a scope Kripke wanted to work on and I was just absolutely psyched when season 4 ended and how season 5 began. Then the show got so popular that it couldn't have an end point. I hated most of season 6 and 7, but after 7 I was like "Yeah, this show should have ended after season 5"

To this day, I honestly hope someone does an HBO-type take on Supernatural, where the scope can be world-spanning, rather than just across the US. Then again, I wonder how much of the appeal of the show would be lost. Supernatural really caught onto something...special, IMO. The chemistry between Ackles and Padelecki is undeniable. The whole concept of driving around from place to place in an Impala is just damned cool and the show really was about exploring urban supernatural myths in the US.

I recently watched season 1 of Supernatural and just jumped right ahead to season 4 and finished it off with 5. Just some absolutely awesome TV, IMO.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I started watching Cheers when it went into syndication, so I guess it was after Season 5 wrapped and Shelly already left. I'm pretty sure I never watched Shelly on NBC.

When Kirstie joined, I began watching the new episodes on NBC, and I have to say that she was really rough in her first few episodes. Not good at all. Didn't really have a handle on her character. She played it way too seriously -- basically trying to be another Shelly Long & trying to put Sam in his place, but without Shelly's comedic chops to make that funny.

But once the writers allowed her character to be more over-the-top neurotic, Kirstie did find her way on the show. Her naturally squeaky voice and fast talking fit the new, neurotic Rebecca and her character took off. At least, she was bearable to watch by then. But it did take a while for her and the writers to figure out how to make Rebecca fit in the show. I've recently watched Season 6 (on DVD) for the first time since it originally aired, and my feelings now are the same as then, but binge watching allows one to move past Kirstie's growing pains faster.

She was never as good as Shelly Long who was just a superior actress all around, and unfortunately, Long's departure also hurt Ted Danson's character who became more one-dimensional without her to play off of. The show was still funny in Seasons 6-11 because the writers smartly gave the other characters more to do which allowed the Sam-Diane vacuum to be filled somewhat. It wasn't as good as the best stuff from the first 5 seasons, but Cheers was always an enjoyable watch.
    I watched Cheers for the very begiinning am probably one of the few people on Earth that actually liked Kirstie Alley more than Shelly Long. Dianne was just too snotty and full of herself. Rebecca seemed more like a woman I would want to be around, someone who I could share a beer with.

Simpsons, was a gradual decline, I'd say once I left college I went from a partial viewer to almost never. So somewhere between 2005-2008
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Ah yes, the Simpsons.

Personnaly i gave up when Homer switched from being a slow, childhish but yet somehwhat well meaning man and father to being a complete nutjob.

Which is what? Around season 10 or something? Maybe before.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I watched Cheers for the very begiinning am probably one of the few people on Earth that actually liked Kirstie Alley more than Shelly Long. Dianne was just too snotty and full of herself. Rebecca seemed more like a woman I would want to be around, someone who I could share a beer with.
    Well, there's a difference between the actresses and their characters. Perhaps Rebecca was more approachable/fun to be around, but as far as talent is concerned, I just think Shelley is a better actress than Kirstie.

Shelley really nailed Diane from the first scene and even Ted Danson said she carried the show in the early episodes. I would agree. Shelley had romantic, and antagonistic, chemistry with Danson while Kirstie had neither. Kirstie could not have done justice to the material that Shelley did that made the show such a critical favorite in its early episodes when no one was watching.

Incredible Member

NCIS season 8. It become very repetitive.

I LOVED Supernatural. Hot guys, a World of Darkness feel, lore from all kinds of cultures...

As it drifted more into a standard riff on 'Judeo-Christian mythology is the one true mythology', I started losing some interest because it's been done to DEATH, but there was a through line that was fascinating, and the characters weren't just sexy, they were...interesting and complicated. Season 5 ended quite strong and I still regard seasons 1-5 as a really good, complete run that ended all the dangling plot threads and wrapped up the story. So when I rewatch it, I end it at the family dinner, just before the camera pans to the flickering streetlight and the figure ominously standing beneath it...

And then season 6 came. Sam resurrected wrong. No mention at all of the other brother. Dean's bittersweet but happy ending erased. Leviathans...

And then they killed Bobby Singer. I stopped watching at the end of that VERY episode, and never went back.
    Last edited by zinderel; 10-05-2020 at 10:58 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I've tended to be quite tolerant for my favourites. I survived the finale seasons of A-Team, Scrubs, That 70s Show, Happy Days, Married with Children, 3rd Rock, Becker, etc. and still enjoy them, despite things.

I had pretty much given up on all Trek after Data's death. JJAbrams got no money from me, not just because of the reboot, but Nemesis. Discovery brought me back, and I enjoyed Picard, but I likely still won't watch another Trek movie.

HIMYM -- I can't even sit through syndication after that final season and finale. Every single character retroactively lost any bit of fun by the end. The show was never a favourite of mine.

After Season 11, I think I'm finally done with X-Files, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I couldn't stand Diane so much, I think I have taken it out on Shelly Long, but I have never enjoyed anything the actor has done. I found Diane to be such a comedic drain on the entire show. I cheered when she left. Kirstie Alley and Rebecca were much better, in every way, imo.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Fantastic Member

Happy Days- When Ron Howard and Donny Most left, and the focus of the show shifted to Joanie and Chachi, I lost interest. I only watch the first seven seasons in reruns now.

ER- Started losing interest when Anthony Edwards left, but kept watching for a while. When Noah Wyle left, that was the final straw.

The Simpsons- Gave up around Season 12, but the show had started to phone it in a year or two before that. There's roughly 20 years of episodes that I've never seen, and have no interest in seeing.

Family Guy and American Dad-. Like The Simpsons, both these shows are well past their sell by date. They've run the jokes into the ground and there's no cleverness anymore.

Being Human (UK)- Should have ended with Series 3. I didn't care for the characters that replaced the originals.

The Walking Dead stopped being a favorite after season 4 or so, when the show had established (3x now) the routine of finding a safe place, facing human villains, and then being forced out back into danger. But then I dropped it altogether after Glenn and Abraham's deaths -- sure, longtime faves get dropped left and right on that show, but their deaths were especially nihilistic, and every time I check back in via some review or wiki page (rather than catch an episode itself), the pattern seems to repeat anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The Walking Dead stopped being a favorite after season 4 or so, when the show had established (3x now) the routine of finding a safe place, facing human villains, and then being forced out back into danger. But then I dropped it altogether after Glenn and Abraham's deaths -- sure, longtime faves get dropped left and right on that show, but their deaths were especially nihilistic, and every time I check back in via some review or wiki page (rather than catch an episode itself), the pattern seems to repeat anyway.
    When you think of all the dead-weight characters they could have lost, the idea of killing off Glenn and Abraham was just crazy.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Doctor Who started losing me in the latter Capaldi episodes but lost me completely with the Whittaker Doctor. I got so sick of the "special girl" troupe every single season with Clara. I gave Whittaker a full season but it was just awful, and didn't even bother with the last season except the finale which was just some of the worst Doctor Who writing in the 50+ history of the show. I can tell I was not the only one who thought the show had gone to **** since the ratings fell off a cliff losing nearly 3/4 of it viewers in just 2 seasons. The defenders will all say it is just the sexist pigs who hate the show, but when you lose that many fans your doing something very very wrong. If they did not have the deal with HBO Max the show would probably be cancelled again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    ...since the ratings fell off a cliff losing nearly 3/4 of it viewers in just 2 seasons.
    Well no, not really. That's just a frequently quoted bit of information that the #NotMyDoctor guys like to reel off without supplying any context. The show's ratings have been steadily declining for many years now, as is often the case with any long running shows. And Who's been back 15 years in its current incarnation alone, which is a long time for any UK Drama outside of soaps and generic "easy watching" shows like police/medical stuff.

What actually happened with Who is that it got a temporary bump, thanks to the publicity surrounding Whittaker's casting, giving the show it's higest ratings in years for her first episode. yes, it would have been very nice to hold onto those extra viewers, but the irony is the reason they didn't stick around is probably the same reason they stopped watching in the first place - Ultimately, the show hadn't changed all that much. It was still Doctor Who. So if they'd drifted away from it before, chances are they would do so again.

As of last season, the show's ratings were basically on the same curve that they'd been heading since the back of Matt's run and certainly all throughout Capaldi's era. And for the UK, they're far from poor ratings as yet anyway.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    ... Kirstie Alley and Rebecca were much better, in every way, imo.
    Not to disagree, but I think it's telling that Rebecca wasn't present at that end scene in the final episode when they're all just hanging out talking about the meaning of life. Her character somehow never really ended up meshing with the others the way other latecomers like Woody and Frasier did.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Re: MacFarlane toons -- I still enjoy the others, but for like 2 or 3 years now, I find American Dad almost unrecognizably bad. I haven't given up yet, but it's impending.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier