Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    On Dallas, I gave up partly through the Dream Season. Peter Dunne was the showrunner that season, and while he is responsible for making Knots Landing a good show beginning in Season 4, his Dallas was boring.

Bobby's coming back the next season did bring me back for good, and I stuck with Dallas until the bitter end.

I've since seen the entire Dream Season on DVD, and I was right to abandon the show back then.

With ER, I left when Clooney left or thereabouts. Not because of Clooney, just got tired of the show.

Mostly, I do stick with my regular must-see shows until the very end.
    Dallas was my favorite show for years, but like you, I was bored out of my mind during the Dream Season. It got SO MUCH BETTER the year after when Pam woke up and it started looking like Dallas again.

But it only lasted one season for me. After Pam and Donna left, I lost interest. I still liked JR, Sue Ellen, Bobby, Miss Ellie, and Ray but the writing wasn't as good anymore. Although Pricilla Presley was beautiful, she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag - and I hated them pairing up Jenna and Ray. Plus, I never cared for Lucy, so her return was unnecessary IMO.

But boy did I love that post-dream season with Wes Parmalee pretending to be Jock, BD Calhoun terrorizing the Ewings, and all the drama with the government shutting down Ewing Oil.

For personal reasons,...

The Simpsons (Mid 90's)
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    King Of The Hill
    LEXX ( a crazy arse sci-fi show from the late 90's-early 2000's)
    Gotham
    Smallville
    Arrow
    AKA Jessica Jones
    American Horror Story between seasons 4 and 7. Just can't stand Lady Gaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    American Horror Story between seasons 4 and 7. Just can't stand Lady Gaga.
    Ironically the ones with Lady Gaga were about the only ones I watched. Never watched it before and stopped watched after that.

In no particular order:

Xena: It became clear in Season 5 that the writers, the producers, and the actors were phoning it in, they were tired of it, and didn't care anymore. The whole 'birth of Xena's child will result in the end of the Greek gods' storyline, the 25 year time skip, and then Xena getting an almost literal deus ex machina powerup from a pseudo-Christian monotheistic God that lets her kill off half the Greek pantheon as easily as a warlord of the week's henchmen ... and all the really forced and contrived situations that went against established premises and characterizations. It was too much for me, and I didn't even bother with the season afterward.

The Simpsons: I'm not sure where it 'jumped the shark': Whether it was Maude Flanders' death in Season 11 (sandwiched in between two ridiculous episodes that went WAY too over-the-top for non-Treehouse of Horror episodes, namely the 'jockey elves' of 'Saddlesore Galactica' and the 'laser-firing Teletubbies and forced PBS parody' of 'Missionary Impossible') or Season 9's 'The Principal and the Pauper ('let's introduce this ridiculous retcon about Principal Skinner ... and then never mention it again to maintain the status quo"). But the quality of the show dropped from that point, and the seasons that followed contained episodes that were dull, pointless, not all that funny, did things previous seasons did better and funnier, and/or were mean-spirited in ways the show hadn't been during its glory days of Seasons 2-8. I drifted away from the show and have rarely seen much of it since.

Lost: I kind of drifted away from it when they started doing flash-forwards and other such gimmicks, and only returned to it during the final two seasons (catching up thanks to Syfy running the previous season).

Smallville: I lost interest in it around the fourth or fifth season, and didn't really go back to it. I'm not entirely sure why. I think the ongoing storylines didn't engage me more, and the show was starting to lose focus.

My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic: The post-movie episodes with the school. I think the show was seriously showing signs that they were ready to pack it in and retire around Season 6, and its attempts at remaining fresh weren't really working anymore. I kind of lost track of the show after the start of Season 8.
    Last edited by Chris Lang; 10-19-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Recent posts remind one of lost fav shows one had forgotten about.

LEX shortly after they got to earth. For some time it had gotten too grim. Which might seem like blaming the night for being dark, but they would have a run of single episode stories that ended well for guest characters, but then kill those characters in the last thirty seconds of the episode to link up to some seasonal bigger bad. Why even bother if you're going to keep sucker punching viewers like that? After getting to Earth it became a parody of a parody. "To hell with this I'm out."

Zena. Can't remember quite why, but quality dropped like a stone. From Chris Lang's comments it sounds as though it got even worse.

Incredible Member

The Simpsons - somewhere around 2006 I think, I was already giving it up and leaving it on as background noise but since then I haven't gone back to watch The Simpsons and even with a gazillion episodes produced I can never find the classic early years on syndicated reruns.

The Flash - got bored with this after the Crisis crossover, too many filler episodes and a drag to watch.
    Supergirl - same thing as with Flash, got bored after Crisis.

The Goldbergs - as a kid growing up in the 80's I saw it first couple seasons but then it just started getting dull and repetitive.

black-ish - stopped watching after it fell into one of the many political issue episodes.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Six Feet Under
    -I'm not a television type of guy, but the first three seasons of Six Feet Under grabbed me in spite of the show's deep flaws. Season four however was completely directionless, and that was the end of my experimentation with tv. Why watch a 1 hour episode which is part of a 10-20 hour story when you can watch a self contained, 90 minute movie?

Battlestar: Galactica. I basically stuck with it all the way to the end, even though I cannot recall most of the last season. Somewhere after season 2, it felt like the show fell off. Gone were the days where there would be this looming risk of Cylon encounters with badass space dog fights. I think it became more complicated, philosophical and adult, but I started losing interest more and more.

Supernatural. I am almost certain i heard or read somewhere that Kripke wanted to end the show after 5 seasons and it felt like everything was leading up to it, but then it just kept going. It lost a lot of it's charm after season 5, IMO.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Sliders was one for me, I can't watch the final season and I've tried to re-watch the show many times and just end up stopping after the 2nd or 3rd seasons.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is another one, I enjoyed season one, but started losing interest during season two as they continued the whole "outlaw heroes" storyline. For me the appeal of it was seeing the "regular" people in this world of emerging "Marvels" and they deal with it was the big selling point and once Skye/Daisy got her powers it started to loose me and then season three just stopped watching completely.

I think that there are a lot of shows that I grew up watching in syndication that I don't watch the entire show but just watch specific episodes. Happy Days was and still is one of my all time favorite shows, but after re-watching the reruns on MeTV recently, I really do think that the show should have ended when Richie left as even Henry Winkler has said that Riche was the main charter. There's a great scene in one of Richie's final episodes where it's him Fonzie, Ralph and Potsie at Arnold's and they after having a hard time trying to carry on a conversation end up at the piano and singing "On Blueberry Hill" which was Richie's signature song and I think that would have been a good way to end the series.

Beverly Hills 90210 should have ended when Jason Priestly left the show as the series was about these two out of town kids and how they dealt with life in glamorous Beverly Hills. Loosing Brenda was hard but I feel that when Brandon left it completed the twins story.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare10880 View Post
    Sliders was one for me, I can't watch the final season and I've tried to re-watch the show many times and just end up stopping after the 2nd or 3rd seasons.
    You did the right thing.

Extraordinary Member

Scooby Doo Where Are You was my favorite cartoon as a child and I continued to watch several other takes on Scooby and the gang (Scooby Doo Movies, Dynomutt, Laff-a-Lympics).

But when Scrappy Doo showed up, that's when I turned the channel.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare10880 View Post

Beverly Hills 90210 should have ended when Jason Priestly left the show as the series was about these two out of town kids and how they dealt with life in glamorous Beverly Hills. Loosing Brenda was hard but I feel that when Brandon left it completed the twins story.
    I agree I stuck around till the end on this one at least they tried to fill the void left by Priestley by bringing back Luke Perry but by then like you said there really was no more stories to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Xena: It became clear in Season 5 that the writers, the producers, and the actors were phoning it in, they were tired of it, and didn't care anymore. The whole 'birth of Xena's child will result in the end of the Greek gods' storyline, the 25 year time skip, and then Xena getting an almost literal deus ex machina powerup from a pseudo-Christian monotheistic God that lets her kill off half the Greek pantheon as easily as a warlord of the week's henchmen ... and all the really forced and contrived situations that went against established premises and characterizations. It was too much for me, and I didn't even bother with the season afterward.
    I watched it all the way through and there were good episodes in every season. But I hated it once they did the 25 year leap and even before that. Hercules ended with the reconciliation of Zeus and Hera. They were in love again and she even ended her feud with Hercules. Then, a week later, on Xena, Zeus murders Hera and is then killed by Hercules. Wow, way to totally undermine the Hercules finale. And that was also the last appearance of Hercules.

They had also done a Herc story where he met Odin, who was a loving husband who cared about humanity. Then they had Odin appear on Xena and he's a womanizing jerk who cares nothing about people. Continuity? What's that?

Many people would say exactly the opposite but I liked Xena best when it felt like it existed in the same world as the Hercules show, before it had a drastically different tone and started introducing things like "non-Greek Amazons" who were based on a wholly different mythology.

On personal note, I consider the first season of Xena canon in my personal head canon but the rest of it seems like it's taking place in a different world setting from Hercules.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 10-27-2020 at 11:05 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

I definitely started to lose interest in Supernatural after season 5. The quality significantly dipped. I hung in there for a few more seasons. I think I quit partway though season 11 - I just got bored and lost interest. I was tired of the same old angel and demon song and dance being rehashed. I feel like the show could have been way more interesting if after s5 they took a break from Judeochristian mythology and did something else. I came back for the Scooby episode but that was it.

Sliders - Show wasn’t as good after s2 so I was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I watched it all the way through and there were good episodes in every season. But I hated it once they did the 25 year leap and even before that. Hercules ended with the reconciliation of Zeus and Hera. They were in love again and she even ended her feud with Hercules. Then, a week later, on Xena, Zeus murders Hera and is then killed by Hercules. Wow, way to totally undermine the Hercules finale. And that was also the last appearance of Hercules.

They had also done a Herc story where he met Odin, who was a loving husband who cared about humanity. Then they had Odin appear on Xena and he's a womanizing jerk who cares nothing about people. Continuity? What's that?

Many people would say exactly the opposite but I liked Xena best when it felt like it existed in the same world as the Hercules show, before it had a drastically different tone and started introducing things like "non-Greek Amazons" who were based on a wholly different mythology.

On personal note, I consider the first season of Xena canon in my personal head canon but the rest of it seems like it's taking place in a different world setting from Hercules.
    I preferred Hercules over Xena- I felt like Kevin Sorbo did that the producers sort of abandoned his show to focus on hers. But now, thanks to his political and religious views, I’m not remotely interested in his show anymore.