Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    then some of the cast started wearing Seventies clothes! LOL
    That's always a problem with period pieces.

I loved the early seasons of The Waltons and the hairstyles the kids had in the early 70s looked shaggy and uncombed like they would go with a Depression era child.

But when the kids got older and the girls now had Farrah Fawcett hairstyles and the guys had feathered hair, everyone was scratching their heads (and not from dandruff).

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I gave up on Star Trek Voyager shortly after Seven of Nine became a character.
    This is the show that I'm currently binging for the first time ever. Seven is the best thing that happened to this show. Other than the Dr every other character on the show is so boringly stale. I'm midway through season six and Dr and Seven centric episodes remain the only thing keeping me interested in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It seemed to me that was the case almost from the beginning. One of those details that always bugged in movies and TV shows. Also the hair. Once I was in the navy, it bugged me that every military man on screen had hair touching his ears--that would never pass muster.

I guess that Leather Tuscadero was the worst anachronistic offender. But now I have such an appreciation for Suzi Quatro that I don't mind it. We should have just been thankful for her presence in our living rooms each week.
    It probably was the case, but it's harder to notice things from ones own time especially if you're of extreme youth. Of course the hair was worn much too long by some actors, but there's a degree to which you want to be blind to such things to suspend disbelief. I think it was the flared trousers I noticed on one person, and then another that broke the camels back.

The Simpsons, about a decade ago. The show wasn't bad to me, but it wasn't good either, I realized it was just there or meh that its creative spark had significantly dimmed.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    It probably was the case, but it's harder to notice things from ones own time especially if you're of extreme youth. Of course the hair was worn much too long by some actors, but there's a degree to which you want to be blind to such things to suspend disbelief. I think it was the flared trousers I noticed on one person, and then another that broke the camels back.
    Loretta Swit in MASH had the same thing, with her feathered hair during the Korean War!

I stopped watching The Simpsons in 2001. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because it became inconvenient. I saw the movie but haven't seen a full episode since.

Gotham always annoyed me, but I watched it through season 2 before finally giving up. Then I binged season 4 on Netflix and enjoyed it. Tried watching season 5, but found it annoying again.

Gave up on The Cosby Show when Lisa Bonet left. I watched A Different World briefly but never enjoyed it.

Stopped watching Saturday Night Live many times. The last time was when Will Ferrell/Molly Shannon/Cheri Oteri left. Those weren't all at the same time, but once all three of them were gone, I only watched sporadically. I picked it up again when Alec Baldwin began doing Trump. I watch it sporadically now.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    This is the show that I'm currently binging for the first time ever. Seven is the best thing that happened to this show. Other than the Dr every other character on the show is so boringly stale. I'm midway through season six and Dr and Seven centric episodes remain the only thing keeping me interested in the show.
    Episode guides are really helpful with Voyager. There's great episodes, but there's also a lot of crap.

It's amazing how thoroughly they squandered such a unique and interesting premise.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Arrow - when they showed that Oliver had left the island during the five years he was missing...
    Oliver leaving the island shy of his fifth year was my deal-breaker on Arrow as well. I knew all the insider knowledge about the Russian Mob had to come from somewhere, but taking him out of the island's crucible just killed the narrative for me.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: When the team went to space in the future was the turn off for me. However, cracks began to form in the foundation as it became increasingly apparent that MAoS wasn't actually part of the MCU. They did such nice tie-ins to Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Thor: The Dark World; the Inhumans arc in MAoS would have been something worth integrating into the MCU as another cause for The Sokovia Accords.

M*A*S*H: In its original run, teenage me got turned off by its shift from goofy comedy to dramadey, and often, dark drama. Looking back now, it was brilliant. Back then, I dropped it somewhere around season five or six and only showed up for the finale. I've since watched it multiple times on Old People Reruns TV, and shake my head at my younger self's callowness.

Star Trek: Deep Space 9: I soured on the whole ST franchise about the time of the Dominion War. The NG films were declining in quality and impact. Moreover, while I get that Roddenberry's utopian vision didn't make for sustainable sci-fi adventure, it felt like the production team went too far in trying to make it relevant for the time. At the same time, ST began to feel like it was more obsessed with serving fans ST Tropes (phasers, transporters, bridge layouts, naval jargon, etc.) than they were in presenting compelling visions of the future.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Episode guides are really helpful with Voyager. There's great episodes, but there's also a lot of crap.

It's amazing how thoroughly they squandered such a unique and interesting premise.
    I always thought Voyager's situation a bit forced; I'm not certain that it needed the Maquis to make it work. I have always wanted an ST show that takes the TNG episode "Lower Decks" as its guiding star.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Completely agree. I felt the Starfleet and Maquis merged much to easily. And so much of the time when the show does do something interesting like Year in Hell or killing Harry Kim they hit the reset button. And when they actually didn't hit the reset button and did something truly interesting, like murdering Tuvix, they never mentioned it again. There just doesn't seem to be any character growth for anyone at all except the Dr and Seven which is why I find them the saving graces of the show. Janeway, Chakotay, Blanna, Tom, Tuvok, Harry, and the other main characters are all pretty much the exact same characters they were episode one.

However in terms of good and bad episodes you could say the same about every Star Trek series. For every great TNG episode like Best of Both Worlds there was a horrible one like Code of Honor. Same with DS9 which had some great episodes but really bad ones too (like the baseball episode or the sci fi writer episode).

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    "It's Only A Paper Moon" may be my all-time favorite Star Trek episode along with the "Siege" episode right before it
    I never rewatch those episodes. Too dark and sad for my taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Amazing Member

Family Guy when everyone's characters changed. Peter became straight up abusive, Brian an idiot, Meg was just there to make fun off and other characters became caricatures of themselves like Joe, Cleveland and Major West.

The walking dead after it went on for so long most of the cast came and went (Bless Daryl and Carol for sticking with it)

I was starting to watch Game of Thrones but then "The Long Night" happen and i stoped

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

ER: When all the originals left and we got stuck with Korvac and Abby as the mains. The show got dreadfully boring and I tuned out about halfway through the season. Decided to give another shot when they got written out of the show and Scott Grimes ended up winning me over with his "lazy goof intern grows to become respected doctor" character.

Being Human(UK): First off, I hate vampires. Most over-used monster ever, IMO. That being said, BH actually got me interested in it because of the dynamic between the three housemates. Unfortunately, almost *everything* in the goddamn show revolved around vampires and I checked out an episode or two before the end of the 3rd series. Then I heard about the trainwreck that was the 4th series and felt I made the right decision.

Agents of SHIELD: When they killed Tripp during Daisy's terragenesis.

Chuck: The writing was on the wall at the end of season two, when Chuck got the new intersect and 'knew kung-fu'. At the time, I thought it was a fun, goofy little cliffhanger, but little did I know what impact it was going to have on a show I'd come to love up until that point. Because when season three hit, the character of Sarah Walker - who had spent all of the first two seasons as this competent, kick-ass, highly effective agent - suddenly became the show's resident and regular damsel in distress. She's reduced to little more than a prize between Chuck and Shaw for the first half of season 3 and is incapacitated and needs to be saved again by Chuck at the end of season 4 (which is where I stopped watching it), just before the last two episodes of that year.

And then (cos I read spoilers, to see if things improve) she's the victim once more in season 5, and yet again, it's not actually about her but how what happens effects Chuck. Of all the TV shows that I've given up on over many years of watching telly, there haven't been any that went from such extremes of enjoyment to basically loathing as I did with Chuck.

Supergirl: OK, so you might notice a recurring theme here. But since Supergirl moved to the CW, it became increasingly obvious that she was frequently being portrayed as ineffective, de-powered and generally needing to be saved by various other characters on a weekly basis. On top of that, she's had little to no agency on the show, rarely has any input into the main storylines beyond her relationship issues, does so very little actual Super stuff as to make the entire series redundant and has been given absolutely nothing of importance to contribute during any of the Arrowverse crossovers.

All of which would be frustrating enough, without the perfect casting. Seeing Melissa Benoist's talent wasted after week after week eventually got too much for me and I haven't watched an episode since around mid-way through season 3. I've kept up with recaps since then and can honestly say, I'm still waiting for an episode where it feels like Kara actually gets to do and/or achieve anything herself.

The show legitimately feels like it's written by people that genuinely aren't interested in the character, because even bad writers would likely do a better a job at portraying Kara as an actual hero than this series has managed over the last four years.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It seemed to me that was the case almost from the beginning. One of those details that always bugged in movies and TV shows. Also the hair. Once I was in the navy, it bugged me that every military man on screen had hair touching his ears--that would never pass muster.

I guess that Leather Tuscadero was the worst anachronistic offender. But now I have such an appreciation for Suzi Quatro that I don't mind it. We should have just been thankful for her presence in our living rooms each week.
    I think the hair is explainable by the fact it was the 1970s. I remember a Harrison Ford interview with Larry King in the 1990s where Ford said he refused to get a crewcut for the role of Bob in "American Graffiti". As he put it, this was the height of the long hair era for men and he would go months without getting another role if he cut his hair short.
    Power with Girl is better.

TWD: When the writers thought it would be cool to have a 7-year-old Judith running around Zombieland by herself with a pistol strapped to her belt.
    The wring had been going downhill over the previous season and that was the final straw for me.

FTWD: When they killed of Madison and Nick, They were the only two characters who held my interest at that point in the show.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe