Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default When did you GIVE UP on your (formerly) Favorite TV shows?

The Simpsons : Put up with this until the Ke$ha "tick tock" opening. I felt the show was trying to say -"please keep watching our show. Wer'e still hip and with it. Honest!"

and YOU?

Last Sunday's Simpson was funny, poignant and relevant.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I often gave up on a show when it stops being essential viewing AND I miss it restarting a new season. Oh bugga, I'll have to catch up but I never do. I stopped watch the Big Bang Theory this way. It started being more about their relationships and without it being clear to me where the line was drawn, I didn't absolutely have to watch it, so it was lost to me.

I would have stopped watching The Walking Dead in season two, but my wife was still hooked for ages so I stuck with it. There were some masterful episodes, but not enough for both of us to stick with it to this very day. We cut it off at the Grimes pick up at the bridge.

The Walking dead- I just forgot about it...

Doctor Who- I disliked the opener of series 9- at the time I thought it was a rehash of series 6

Grimm- Season 2- it lacked a season arc and nick was pretty vanilla as a character.

Once upon a time- season 4- I can't remember why but I thought the show had too many plates in the air/too repetitive.

Arrow- Once you watch DD you can't go back.

Flash- The first season was the best and the quality slipped. Season 4 and 5 had potential but I lost interest.

Agents of Shield- couldn't care enough about Coulson and the others to watch a whole season/keep up with it.

Supernatural- got bored in season 10.

The Vampire Diaries- characters became too unlikable/plots repetitive etc.

Extraordinary Member

Most of my favorite shows just went off the air or ended. But I used to like Brooklyn 99 but they just kept switching the airing times couldn't keep up. Then I just dropped cable anyway.

Buffy season 6: "Hell's Bells".

I kept watching but that's where I gave up on it. Up until then, every single character in the show was taken to the lowest, bottom of the barrel depression imaginable and the one hopeful couple were Xander and Anya. Then they broke up at the alter. Suddenly, I started laughing which was clearly the opposite of what the intention was but it finally hit me between the eyes like a crowbar that there is nothing left to this show but soap opera tactics. Sure it was always a soap opera but this is where it reached the point where every character, every last one, now has to hit rock bottom. No one can ever be positive. Every last one has to be totally depressed and morbid. That was just the point where the tactic became so obvious and forced that I could no longer take it seriously.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Northern Exposure - final season, after Rob Morrow decided to leave as a full-time cast member and they introduced a bunch of new characters. Dead show walking.

Castle - Last couple of seasons, after creator Andrew Marlowe left the show and it became obvious that nobody wanted to be there anymore. Dead show walking.

How I Met Your Mother - final season, after the writing staff received some sort of collective brain injury and somehow forgot everything about all their characters after 8 seasons.

These were probably my favorite shows when they were on:

"Moonlighting" - David and Maddie got together and Bruce and Cybil hated each other. Dipesto and Booger kept getting their own episodes.

"X-Files" - Duchovny left and they had no idea what to do with the mythology.

"Happy Days" - Richie left, I was getting older and the show kept getting more childish.

Walking Dead. The Negan story ended it for me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Walking Dead. The Negan story ended it for me.
    Pretty much the same here. I was tired of the long one-off episodes, or the ones where they’re basically selling the same story, but from THIS point of view. Just felt like nothing happened.

I slogged through last season of the Flash; finished it well past the finale air date, and haven’t picked it back up. Didn’t even finish Supergirl last season, and barely the season before.

Astonishing Member

Supernatural, maybe season 8 - it was after Eve.

I tapped out of Alias by season 4.

The first few episodes of Nikita's first season, same with Enterprise. It wasn't until years later I discovered both series weren't s bad as I originally thought.

Doctor Who comes to mind.

After Matt Smith left, the show lost some of it's charm for me. The next Doctor was somewhat unlikable to me ... and I think that was intentional to a degree, nonetheless it was a turn off.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Flash - I gave up after season 4. Thinker was a terrible villain, the characters somehow got dumber, Cecil getting telepathy because her baby is meta, befriending a criminal who's a human trafficker, the piss poor handling of Wally. I rage quit Flash and never looked back.

Extraordinary Member

The Walking Dead - when they left Georgia and ended up in Alexandria. I just got bored with it TBH.

Arrow - when they showed that Oliver had left the island during the five years he was missing and I realized they were not going to put Oliver and Laurel back together.

The Big Bang Theory - when Sheldon went nuts over his barber not being there to cut his hair. It was one of many ridiculous episodes of that season and I just gave up.

Astonishing Member

When Spike went from entertaining villain to woobie love interest on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.