Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Reading most of the comments, and now adding my two cents.
    1) knight rider was one of my top favorites, but david hasselhoffs behavior in recent years has really killed my interest.
    2) the simpsons; about halfway through the series, i’d stop watching the episodes halfway through, because it was headed towards sone convoluted situation that homer or bart created, and i just got bored with it. Every episode seemed the same.
    3) the arrowverse shows; i got bored with arrow in season 2, when i realized i didn’t really care about any of the characters. With flash, the season long arcs became boring, how many ways can barry screw up? Legends stopped being a dc show, and i couldn’t stand the goofiness. Plus all the good characters left, to be replaced with ones i could care less about. Supergirl was too much social justice. Batwoman became all about a psychotic nutjob. I’m not holding out hope that next season will be any better with it’s emphasis on serial killers. Superman and lois sounds a little too heavy on teen angst and adult drama for my taste.
    4) agents of shield; i watched it primarily for coulson, but didn’t care for his entourage. I could never get into the season long arcs, and the spy vs. Spy stuff.
    5) doctor who; in a word, steven moffatt. His shows were too drawn out and convoluted; and the companions met some weird fate. Jodie whittakers tenure has been a bit uneven, but with bradley walsh leaving, whatever interest i have in the show is going with him.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I gave up on the simpsons years ago, when I realized all the plots seemed to be the same, and I couldn’t get through more than half an episode, before turning it off because I didn’t like where the story was going.
    As far as shield, I couldn’t make it through season one with it’s hydra plot line, and the fact that I didn’t care about half the team. I’d pop in and out in seasons 2 and four, but it got to the point where I didn’t even care about coulson anymore.
    Hey, i forgot i already responded to this!

Midway through season 7 of Supernatural. After a tight five year story arc we got a mopey, kinda dull season 6 that nonetheless followed logically from the fifth season, then season 7 says in the first episode "Alright, forget all that" and once I realized they didn't have an actual plan I stopped watching (well, stopped watching it regularly)

Two things with me: one, its always been rather difficult for me to jump onboard shows. The draw has to be huge or I kinda have to find it by accident. Two, once I'm in I'm the type who tends to give things a long leash. Not to say I keep up with things I don't like anymore. Just to say my breaking point is long. Point of that being, I don't have many shows I've ever given up on.

The only two that come to mind immediately are The Simpsons and Heroes. The Simpsons there was never one moment where I threw up my hands and said I'm out. It was just a gradual decline of not tuning in regularly to not tuning in at all. Heroes is one of the rare shows that grabbed me immediately. Superpowers without a costumed superhero spin? I was in. But when season 3 came back from an unfortunate extended hiatus, it killed itself by basically just repeating the season 1 storyline. Then they took my favorite character, Nathan, and backtracked on his growth, then swept it under the rug, then killed him off. I was just done.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Midway through season 7 of Supernatural. After a tight five year story arc we got a mopey, kinda dull season 6 that nonetheless followed logically from the fifth season, then season 7 says in the first episode "Alright, forget all that" and once I realized they didn't have an actual plan I stopped watching (well, stopped watching it regularly)
    Yeah, Supernatural kind of just drifted for awhile. Though the last few seasons have been building towards season 15 (final season). And let me say, parts of those seasons REALLY opened the series up to crossovers (it even did one with Scooby-Doo, where the boys and Castiel got sucked into the show) of all types.

Every series ever, except for a couple. The ones I stuck it out all the way for are a very short list indeed!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Naruto: I gave up after the Kages got their asses kicked by Madara, it just got boring and went downhill after that for me.

American Horror Story: The last good season was Asylum but i kept watching it for the cast but after Apocalypse i completly gave up.
    Last edited by AndersonHoran; 10-06-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Yeah, Supernatural kind of just drifted for awhile. Though the last few seasons have been building towards season 15 (final season). And let me say, parts of those seasons REALLY opened the series up to crossovers (it even did one with Scooby-Doo, where the boys and Castiel got sucked into the show) of all types.
    I definitely watched Scoobynatural. I'll still check out an interesting sounding monster or two.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Reading most of the comments, and now adding my two cents.
    1) knight rider was one of my top favorites, but david hasselhoffs behavior in recent years has really killed my interest.
    I don't think he's done anything egregious in like 13 years (unless you consider Zardu Hasselfrau egregious). He seems to have overcome his addiction problem like a champ and done well in recent years. KITT would be proud, I think.

3) the arrowverse shows; i got bored with arrow in season 2, when i realized i didn’t really care about any of the characters. With flash, the season long arcs became boring, how many ways can barry screw up? Legends stopped being a dc show, and i couldn’t stand the goofiness. Plus all the good characters left, to be replaced with ones i could care less about. Supergirl was too much social justice. Batwoman became all about a psychotic nutjob. I’m not holding out hope that next season will be any better with it’s emphasis on serial killers. Superman and lois sounds a little too heavy on teen angst and adult drama for my taste.
    Aren't serial killers the primary draw of a Bat story? The whole family drama of Batwoman was what I loved, to the point that I'm not sure the series can survive a recast. The father-daughter plot, the sisters plots (plural), the ex plot, etc. were more important than the "psychotic nutjob."
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 10-07-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I don't think he's done anything egregious in like 13 years (unless you consider Zardu Hasselfrau egregious). He seems to have overcome his addiction problem like a champ and done well in recent years. KITT would be proud, I think.

Aren't serial killers the primary draw of a Bat story? The whole family drama of Batwoman was what I loved, to the point that I'm not sure the series can survive a recast. The father-daughter plot, the sisters plots (plural), the ex plot, etc. were more important than the "psychotic nutjob."
    Well, batman’s enemies were various psychotics; some i liked more than others. Batwoman supposedly has a bunch of different villains; but i could never get into the alice storyline, and she was everywhere. I didn’t really care about the kane family drama, and mary really didn’t impress me. This season, we have zzasz, a serial killer, never one of my favorite bat villains. I’m going to wait to hear how the season shapes up, but so far, i’m not too encouraged to tune in again.
    Last edited by protege; 10-09-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Honestly, for past favorites, I just gradually drifted away from them. Like Simpsons, South Park (though I check up on it every so often), and others. Honestly, a lot of my favorite shows ended up being canceled before I drifted away from them (Gargoyles, Recess, other 90s and early 2000s cartoons).

On Dallas, I gave up partly through the Dream Season. Peter Dunne was the showrunner that season, and while he is responsible for making Knots Landing a good show beginning in Season 4, his Dallas was boring.

Bobby's coming back the next season did bring me back for good, and I stuck with Dallas until the bitter end.

I've since seen the entire Dream Season on DVD, and I was right to abandon the show back then.

With ER, I left when Clooney left or thereabouts. Not because of Clooney, just got tired of the show.

Mostly, I do stick with my regular must-see shows until the very end.

I lost interest in Twin Peaks sometime after the murder mystery was solved and they started to focus on that woman who thought she was a teenage cheerleader.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Scorpion - It just got silly - solutions just became more and more contrived.
    Wait- the first episode involved a 747 being flown a few feet over a runway and dropping a network cable down through the landing gear hatch so the main character, riding in a Porche or Lamborghini, could plug said cable into his laptop to disable something so the plane could land. And you're saying it got sillier than THAT?!

I didn't quite give up on Buffy, but I did miss a lot of the 6th season when it moved to UPN. And I remember at least one episode being edited- the musical episode had Dawn's solo number cut because the episode ran long, but the network airing UPN didn't want to give it extra time.

Pretty much the same thing with Star Trek: Voyager. In St. Louis, we didn't have a station that was dedicated to playing UPN, so it ended up bouncing all over the place (when it was aired at all). I think for Voyager, it was pretty steady through Season 4, but by Season 5 it starting shifting timeslots. At one point it was airing at 11pm on Saturday nights, and I remember getting pissed that the episode I had been watching got preempted by the death of Princess Diana. I never did season most of Season's 5-7.

(Side note, I also missed the era of the Smackdown 6 because Smackdown wasn't being aired in St. Louis at that time.)

For modern day:

For the past few years, I've found it hard to go back to the CW DC shows after the midseason hiatus. Part of it is because the hiatus is so damn long, and part of it is the quality. I had no interest in going back to Arrow in season 6 after the break. Same thing with Flash Season 4- Thinker was such a terrible villain, I gave up on the show at that point. I did go back to both shows, though

I gave up on Legends midway through Season 3, came back for the finale, then left for good after the Season 4 opener.

I won't say I finally gave up on Flash and Supergirl, but I did skip everything after Crisis this year (though I plan to go back and watch it.

LOL, as a kid I remember just not caring about the Transformers during season 3. Too much of a change, full of characters I didn't recognize, and almost no one from the first two seasons. The only one I liked was Sky Lynx, and even then that was only from checking out the occasional episode.

Many years later as an adult when Transformers came to Netflix, I chose to watch S3 and S4. A couple decent episodes but all in all I felt like my kid self didn't miss much either. And most of the animation was terrible, thanks to AKOM. Toei animated some of the best episodes of S3, but not enough to save it.