Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Game of Thrones. Watched the first episodes and didnt like it. Got sucked in during season 3 and went back and got caught up.

Astonishing Member

Mutant X. When it was on tv I found it mediocre, low budget trash with a pretty cast. After watching the DVD collection I became a genuine fan. The stunt work is incredible, they were doing things higher budget genre shows didn't from the start. Helps that some of the cast, like Victoria Pratt, was a stuntwoman before becoming an actor. That's why they didn't have edited fights, it was the actors doing complex choreography.

Edit: Loved how the cast are X-men rip-offs. Adam is Xavier, Emma is Jean Grey, Shalimar is a mix between Rogue and Wolverine, Brennan is Gambit and Jesse is Kitty and Hank McCoy.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 02-21-2020 at 01:45 AM.

The Fifth Element.

I HATED this movie after the first time. Then my boyfriend at the time made me sit down and watch it again with him. Fell in love with it.

Ultimate Member

Thought Buffy sounded stupid and refused to watch it, then my roommate sat me down to watch it and I fell hard in love with the show. He's got good taste. He dragged me back to iZombie, which I had also dismissed after one episode, and now think was awesome.

I got him back by addicting him to Babylon 5, which he thought 'looked like a cheap Star Trek ripoff' and now likes even more obsessively than I do. So we're almost even.

Farscape. Kept hearing great things about it so I finally checked it out one night and was baffled. It was a season 3 episode and much of the episode took place in John's mind as he talked to Harvey. It was weird and made no sense to me. Years later I happened to see a couple of late season 4 episodes and loved them which made me go back and watch the series and I loved it.

Extraordinary Member

When I was in high school, my Dad wanted to watch Cheers when it first came on (this was when our house only had one television set. LOL).

My Mother refused to watch a show set in a bar. She assumed everyone was drunk all the time. I wasn't interested because they kept advertising it as 'From the creators of Taxi' and I hated that show.

Then one night, I'm over at my girlfriend's house and she insists we watch it. I couldn't believe how great it was. I told my parents 'we've GOT to start watching this show'.

Astonishing Member

The Clone Wars.

I wasn’t a fan of the prequel trilogy. Went to see the theatrical movie with a friend, and was not impressed. When the series started, I ignored it based on the movie (a compilation of the first few episodes).

After I watched the Mandalorian, I started to watch the series. I’m glad I did. The annoying character of Ashoka was developed and grew. All the prequel characters were given better stories than the movies. The war itself was shown with specific campaigns, and the Separatist side was fleshed out with new characters. And the consistent writing, acting, and animation made it the best Star Wars story outside of the movies. As soon as I finished this, I started Rebels.

Star Trek The Original Series. It was made 15 years before I was born. When I first saw Star Trek, I was a kid. Being very young, I was not impressed with the special effects in the show and did not pay attention to the drama and the story. When I watched it again, I liked it.

Deep Space Nine.

I was not a fan when it started. I tried, but I wasn't into it.

It got better as it went on. Eventually I went back to watch it all, and now I think it's probably the best Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Deep Space Nine.

I was not a fan when it started. I tried, but I wasn't into it.

It got better as it went on. Eventually I went back to watch it all, and now I think it's probably the best Trek.
    It perks up when they get the Defiant, and improves again when they add Worf, imo.

There’s plenty to like in the first two seasons, and plenty to dislike. It was wildly different than TNG, which at the time, I hated about it.

But it cared more for its characters and their growth as people. The Defiant and Worf, the Dominion and Changelings, certainly spiced things up, but really, it was when it started to shift the stories to longer arcs with pay offs instead of an episodic structure that it got good. The aforementioned specifics were just part of better storytelling.

To be fair, there’s still awful episodes in the later seasons, too.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Deep Space Nine was a liiiiiittle slow at first, but the episodes were still good. This series by far had the best character development

When Sisko shaved his head and the Dominion War started, thats when things went from 0 to 60. Other than the one where they got stuck in a game, there weren't any episodes I disliked.

Profit and Lace? Fucking awful.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Game of Thrones. Watched the first episodes and didnt like it. Got sucked in during season 3 and went back and got caught up.
    Ah yes. I did the same thing and wish I hadn't gotten so into that show. Now it's my biggest regret after seeing the series finale.

Arrow. Watched the first two episodes and wasn't impressed. About a year and a half later on a lark I started reading the wiki summaries of the episodes, and saw that John Barrowman was playing Malcolm Merlyn. Since I loved him on Doctor Who and Torchwood, I decided to give the show a second look and was hooked.