Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default WTH was WRONG with me: your second chance discovery

Have you ever checked out on a film or series, then come back to it and judge it awesome?

I am guilty on at least two counts:
    1. Babylon 5
    2. The Pacific

In both cases I dismissed them as inferior copies of better genre entries after the first view. When I gave them a chance? WT* was wrong with me?!?

You?

TEEN WOLF comes to mind.
    Started watching it w. my spouse and didn’t like it. Came back to it later and got hooked.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I declined to watch the early seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer because I assumed it would be like the movie. Finally gave it a watch and loved it.

Weird thing is, I later re-watched the movie too and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd remembered.

I didn't get into Xena at first because it seemed stupid and campy. Later came back to it and realized that the actors actually made the campiness work.

Ghost Hunters. Hated the early episodes when they tried to gin up all this "conflict" among the team members. Liked it much better later when they focused on hunting ghosts.

Breaking Bad, thought it was too dark at first. It was dark, but also one of the best shows on TV.

Believe it or not, I didn't like Batman TAS at first.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Digimon - Season 1

Didn't like it at first because it was different from Pokemon.

Then when I came back, things had gotten dramatic & consequential that I couldn't help but get pulled in.

And I've been a fan ever since.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-20-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Astonishing Member

Nothing comes to mind. When I don't like it the first time, I will never like it.

The other way around, I would know some movies...liked it the first time and got worse every time I see it

Babylon 5 is the closest thing that comes to mind.

Saw the first episode and wasn't impressed. First season as a whole was somewhat slow and I dropped it.

But the shows REALLY picks up, and I actually ended up liking it more than Star Trek when I returned to it down the line.

Astonishing Member

I slept on Succession because I didn't want to watch a show about the power struggles of rich assholes. I finally watched after hearing good things on the season 2 finale. Burned through the first 2 season in a weekend.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    ...Believe it or not, I didn't like Batman TAS at first.
    I went the opposite way. As Timm's Batman went on, I felt like it declined, and I dropped it shortly after Robin-Red-Pants showed up.

Yojimbo

Having heard that A Fistful of Dollars was based on the Japanese film Yojimbo, I eagerly stayed up to watch Yojimbo on TV (I must have been in my early twenties I think). I was not impressed at all, having been expecting some big drawn-out sword-duels, and not expecting it to be in black & white, or realising that much of it is in the vein of a black comedy. More than twenty years later I watched it again with an open mind, and I loved it. Now it's one of my favourite films.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Mythbusters: Thought it was the goofiest show I had ever seen with two dudes (one wearing a freaking beret) blowing up ****. But, it quickly became one of my favorites.

How It's Made: A show about, well, stuff being made. Didn't make sense to me at first, but I quickly became fascinated by the premise, and it's my numero uno favorite show.

The Great British Baking Show: A British baking competition, sounded boring, but it drew me in, watching culinary masterpieces being created intrigued me no end.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Justified.

I watched the first episode, not impressed. Boyd wasn't Boyd yet, and Raylan was kinda a dick.

Dunno why I came back, but I'm glad I did.

Extraordinary Member

I was turned off by the advertisements I saw that made it look like a dumb kids show, plus I didn't like nickelodeon at the time. Finally saw it years later because of all the praise it got and was blown away.

Not an exact example per say, but I did put off watching Supernatural for a few years since I missed out on all the early seasons. Don't usually jump into a show or series halfway through, but there was nothing else on worthwhile to watch, and now I'm a fan.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Justified.

I watched the first episode, not impressed. Boyd wasn't Boyd yet, and Raylan was kinda a dick.

Dunno why I came back, but I'm glad I did.
    Just remembered. I started watching the third season because one of the villains was the guy from Boomtown. Things did not go his way, heh