Default A question of two Constantine’s

Alright this thread might sound a bit nuts but I have a question pertaining to John Constantine as of right now. So I’m aware that he got a new ongoing set in the sandman universe which unless I’m mistaken is basically following the original Vertigo version of the character who is older. If I am wrong on that assumption please feel free to correct me.

Now what that has me wondering is the other John Constantine, the one we’ve been following in the DC universe since New 52 and is currently a resident in the Justice League Dark. For about nine years now since the reboot John has been a part of the main DC universe proper and has made appearances and crossovers. But the thing is, he was only in the universe after New 52 which according to the current storyline of the DC universe is when Dr. Manhattan stepped in and changed the universe to his whims. Which brings me to my question, is John Constantine of the main DC universe just a copy that Dr. Manhattan inserted into the universe?

I know it sounds nuts, and honestly part of it is just bored pondering, but it’s not as if it would be the first time we have seen it. Wallace West the current Kid Flash exists(as per universe explanation) because Dr. Manhattan altered the universe as well which in turn created him. We’ve also seen from Doomsday Clock that Dr. Manhattan could analyze and manipulate magic. So would it be so far out their he manipulated the universe to insert a magic being in the universe. I’m wondering if Constantine is only in the universe because Dr. Manhattan willed him, perhaps after seeing the Vertigo version.

This is not to be taken all that seriously, it’s more wild speculation and random questions on my part but I do think it is an interesting thing to think about when it comes to him and possibly other imprint characters that were introduced in the New 52.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I saw the Sandman Universe version as an older version of the DCU Constantine. So maybe we're seeing a time loop happen as DCU Constantine hasn't gone through the events that made him Sandman Universe Constantine.

That doesn't mean he isn't the Vertigo version as well. Spurrier wanted this version of John to possibly be any version of John you wanted. Even John himself admits that its hard to keep his memories straight.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright this thread might sound a bit nuts but I have a question pertaining to John Constantine as of right now. So I’m aware that he got a new ongoing set in the sandman universe which unless I’m mistaken is basically following the original Vertigo version of the character who is older. If I am wrong on that assumption please feel free to correct me.

Now what that has me wondering is the other John Constantine, the one we’ve been following in the DC universe since New 52 and is currently a resident in the Justice League Dark. For about nine years now since the reboot John has been a part of the main DC universe proper and has made appearances and crossovers. But the thing is, he was only in the universe after New 52 which according to the current storyline of the DC universe is when Dr. Manhattan stepped in and changed the universe to his whims. Which brings me to my question, is John Constantine of the main DC universe just a copy that Dr. Manhattan inserted into the universe?

I know it sounds nuts, and honestly part of it is just bored pondering, but it’s not as if it would be the first time we have seen it. Wallace West the current Kid Flash exists(as per universe explanation) because Dr. Manhattan altered the universe as well which in turn created him. We’ve also seen from Doomsday Clock that Dr. Manhattan could analyze and manipulate magic. So would it be so far out their he manipulated the universe to insert a magic being in the universe. I’m wondering if Constantine is only in the universe because Dr. Manhattan willed him, perhaps after seeing the Vertigo version.

This is not to be taken all that seriously, it’s more wild speculation and random questions on my part but I do think it is an interesting thing to think about when it comes to him and possibly other imprint characters that were introduced in the New 52.
    Don't forget, a John Constantine did exist on the Pre-Flashpoint Earth as well that was, if I'm correct, separate from the Vertigo Universe Swamp Thing. The New 52 John and thus Rebirth, was just a reformatting of that one, who appeared probably less than a hundred times from Crisis till Flashpoint.

Spectacular Member

theres constantine (rhymes with wine), which is the one from the vertigo books and theres constanteen which is the one seen in the nu52.

Amazing Member

Let's not forget that Constantine sold his soul to a 3rd Constantine - the 60-year-old version of himself in The Sandman Universe Presents: Hellblazer one-shot. I think that's the same Constantine from an alternate reality at the end of Hellblazer #300, who had never been involved with magic and grew old living a normal life. They'll probably merge, and JC ends up with the memories of the original 300-issue Hellblazer run.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Nu52 is my least favorite version. The Sandman version feels far more like the Vertigo Constantine.

You can easily use bullshit magic to explain why theres a hero friendly version of Constantine and a more assholish one. Literally some kind of clone thing etc

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    You can easily use bullshit magic to explain why theres a hero friendly version of Constantine and a more assholish one. Literally some kind of clone thing etc
    See I honestly just asked because in my head I saw an interaction, since Dream can apparently enter the DC universe, where the hero friendly version of Constantine would look at the vertigo/sandman one and go “wait I’m not the nice one am I?”
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

lawbat

Seems to me that we're meant to think this is Vertigo Constantine, but it's clearly meant to be his evil vertigo double, no? Demon Constantine, from the original series.

Of course, wouldn't put it past any of the fallen or straight up Nergal for that matter.

But seems pretty clear we're continuing the Demon Constantine story. One of my least favorite moments was seeing him back at the end of the series.

Interesting...

I wonder about that character from Earth 13 where John Constantine is the secret identity of a super-hero named Hellblazer. If they wanted a hero-friendly version of Constantine, just bring him over, I figure. :P But that's not happening, and it'd probably be awful if it did anyway.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."