Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Spider-man Issue...

I love Spiderman. I have read up to issue 163 before starting over from the beginning. There have been a lot of great stories. So I wanted to ask everyone what their favorite issue was. Maybe I can get some ideas on what to look forward to.

I have two. Both com very early in his career.

The first is Amazing Spiderman 16. His first teamup with Daredevil as they fought Ringmaster. I loved Darevevil's yellow costume and it was the first time I read him in a comic. Spiderman taking on the whole circus was just amazing.

The second is the next issue. Amazing Spiderman 17 where he fights The Green Goblin and runs away because of his aunt having a heart attack.

Both were just so amazing and were some of the fist Spiderman stories I read. They have a very special place for me.

So what are yours and why?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I had a comic where Norman Osborn kidnapped Peter and was trying to brainwash him into being his son. I think it had Bagley art.

I also had Web of Spider-Man #100 (Silver Armour) but I never took care of my books so it looked like sh*t in the end. RIP.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

My favorite single issues:

- ASM #246 (which I own, I am proud to say) : "The Daydreamers"
    -- Roger Stern said in an interview with George Khoury that this was his favorite of his run. And it's one of the best standalone stories not only in Spider-Man but generally across all superhero stories. It's a "the Why of the Character" piece which shows what Spider-Man as a character and his supporting cast (Felicia, Jonah, MJ) really are like deep inside, and it's a model for sequential art storytelling in exploring the character's psyche. The subtle way Stern and JRJR transition from the reality of the character into the "daydream" which is that thin blur from reality into dream is worthy of Eisner. And of course Stern says a lot of things about the characters that still remain fresh, unexpected, and yet in essence true to them. This is one of those stories that looks at the characters flaws with affection and compassion.

Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1 To Have and to Hold (which I just bought three days ago)
    -- I read this comic in digital but buying the floppy even of an older issue is great too. The coloring on the hard pages makes some details stand out even better. Matt Fraction only ever wrote one single Spider-Man comic, and it's an instant masterpiece. His turn here led to more work at Marvel. It's a shame that we never got the Fraction Spider-Man run we deserved but we got the Spider-Man Fraction story we needed.

Mighty Member

ASM 400: The Gift. It's just a beautiful story about Peter and May.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

Finale, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310. A beautiful one and done by Chip Zdarsky rightly winning an Eisner award.

Amazing Spider-Man #33 and Spectacular Spider-Man #200. Both issues that left me speechless for very different reasons and which I enjoy as if it was the first time I've read them every time I go back to them
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Picture that its late 1977, in a smallish American city. Comics are really only available on spinner racks at drugstores, or maybe in a grocery store. Bookstores, too, but no guarantee there either.

An 11-year-old kid in said town can only get comics when his mom takes him along to said drug store, or after church on a visit for a family ice cream cone. The drugstore was too far from his house to bike there, and biking that distance is not allowed anyhow. And when you do get to go there, maybe the next comic in a series you are trying to collect is available or maybe its not. There is no back-ordering of comics, LCS with racks of old comics or practical ways to get ones you miss out on.

ASM 175 was my first issue of that comic, from that drugstore (Thrifty's), and I'll always treasure my copy. The scenes of the Statue of Liberty, of New York, the pathos of the story of the Punisher and the Hitman - blew my young mind. And then I got lucky and the next seven issues were all there when I went to the drugstore, so the run of Bart Hamilton as the Green Goblin is super special, too.

Incidentally, I picked up a smattering of Claremont/Byrne X-Men from the same spinner rack in Thrifty's. Good times.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-20-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

My Top 3 would be...

1. The origin of MJ:

2. Busiek's comedy extravaganza:

3. Definitely not a popular choice, but Pete proving himself as the genuine article is a personal favorite:
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-20-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added more words.

My top two favorites are
    92.jpg
    and
    123.jpg
    I liked it when other heroes would guest star
    and the art is just so pretty to look at.

My favorite single issue would have to be - Spectacular Spider-Man #200 (the second run, I believe) the redemptive "death" of Green Goblin II Harry Osborn. Man, what an epic, emotional rollercoaster ride of an issue. Truly, one of the finest issues ever printed.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-25-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Not possible to tell...

One comes to mind, it was an annual, maybe 2004-2006 or something. Where MJ realizes that Pete always prefers to swing into action, and will always leave her alone. She knows he cannot help himself with that, and she knows he loves her, but she cannot keep up with that. When he swung out of the window you knew it was over without anyone saying it. It was very emotional for me at the time out of personal reasons that were similar to this story.

TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

http://berkeleyplaceblog.com/2019/01...r-man-273-276/

probably Amazing #275, which included a reprint of Amazing Fantasy #1. Great art, cool overall story.

This is a tough question.

Amazing Fantasy #15 and 'The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man' are great stories, but not single issues.

Some really good single issues (The Ultimate Spider-Man story where MJ learns his identity, the Conversation issue of JMS/Romita's Amazing Spider-Man, the death of Harry Osborn, any chapter of Slott/ Templeton's Spider-Man/ Human Torch, "Spider-Man No More," the showdown with the Burglar) are clearly part of a larger storyline.

Right now, I'll go with Amazing Spider-Man #300, although it may not be fair to consider it a single issue.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Finale, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310. A beautiful one and done by Chip Zdarsky rightly winning an Eisner award.
    Honourable mention to Confessions, Ultimate Spider-Man #13.