Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

A friend of mine wrote a play for the Fringe, which was about Superman (although his knowledge of Superman was very thin) and he played the lead. I would have to say that his performance as Superman is my favourite. That was many years ago, and if DC hasn't sued him for copyright by now, I don't think they ever will, but just in case I'm not giving out too many details.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Off hand I don't have too many reservations if any for the first Donner movie, Fleischer cartoons, and I thought he ultimately came across well in New Frontier (yes, he gets one-shot, but his character was grappling with his myth while the country was at war with itself but refused to stop helping out and always lead the charge against a threat to the public).

Most other incarnations I have more mixed feelings on, but there's something to like in each of them.

I've yet to see the Ruby Spears stuff.

Harley Quinn and DC Super Hero Girls.

Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I didn't know Superman showed up in the Harley Quinn show.
    A few times from what I've seen. And it is f*cking hilarious. But you gotta get the humor, if the jokes in that show aren't your style the whole thing just looks offensive and crappy. But the clips I've seen have made me laugh loud enough to wake up my wife, and our computers are all the way out in our small living room, halfway across the house.

I enjoy funny takes like that and Superhero Girls.

But my favorite is Fleischer. Hands down. Followed by Cavill, and if Cavill had been given better material in BvS and JL he'd probably be in the top spot. Justice League Action probably takes the #3 place, they write him as way, way, way too much of a nice guy boy scout, but given the nature of the show it's forgivable, and they make him a total badass; that episode where he fights Steppenwolf while powerless was legit.

If we're gonna cheat like Dispenser did and use characters who aren't actually Superman, then yeah All Might definitely ranks up there too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

SUPERMAN VS THE MOLE MEN and the first season of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (the whole series is great but that first season is superb). George Reeves embodied Superman in a way that no one else has, for me. Coates was also the best Lois Lane (though Kidder, Hatcher, and Adams have all been great).

I like the Fleischer cartoons, too. That feels like George Reeves, too. I can see his swagger and strength in those shorts.

Oddly enough I've only ever felt the same physical presence I'd imagine Superman to have, that George Reeves had, in Tom Welling. Smallville wasn't great, but he works. Ben Affleck nailed it too, in Hollywoodland- 100%.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-21-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Fantastic Member

1. Superman: The Movie & Superman 2
    2. Adventures of Superman
    3. Fleischer Superman

Christopher Reeve in the Donner movies.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I agree with the majority, and say Fleischer is best:

Superman the Movie/S2
    Superman Returns
    Man of Steel
    Justice League
    Brandon Routh in Crisis episodes.

Fleischer cartoons
    Superfriends (guilty pleasure)
    Superman animated from the 90s and JL shows
    Justice League Action

I haven't seen all the animated movies involving Superman yet, but I loved Superman: Doomsday, All Star Superman, The Death of Superman/Reign.

I haven't loved live action Superman shows so far. Granted, I haven't seen enough of the Dean Cain Superman show, but what I saw didn't impress me. I'm sure I liked the George Reeves Superman show in reruns, but it's been so long, I don't remember enough to tell. I did like him in the role.

Retired

Although I'd seen George Reeves on TV from my earliest days, I didn't have a clear feeling about him as Superman until I watched the whole series in the last couple of years and now he seems the most definitive Superman. I can see how that series influenced the comics we would get in the 1960s and how George continues to influence comic creators in their versions of Clark.

And while it's been a couple of decades since I last watched the two Kirk Alyn serials, it was pretty obvious to me then that IT'S A BIRD...IT'S A PLANE...IT'S SUPERMAN was channeling those serials, which is why the script seems so out of step with anything in the 1960s comics--the creators of that musical must have been more familiar with the serials and cartoons from their own childhoods and not what happened in the comics or even on the TV show. And in turn, they influenced the kind of Superman we got in the Donner SUPERMAN--given that David Newman and Robert Benton worked on both. I suspect the most campy stuff in the Donner movie comes from them--likely the Gene Hackman Luthor (plus Valerie Perrine's and Ned Beatty's personas) and some of the Daily Planet newsroom banter.

Benton would have been eight years old when the first Fleischer Superman cartoon appeared (1940) and Newman would have been eleven when the first Kirk Alyn serial came out (1948). Also, John Byrne was eight years old when the final season of the George Reeves TV show was broadcast (1958). Childhood experiences have a big impact on our imaginations.

Spectacular Member

I'm shocked at the lack of love for Superman: The Animated Series! I love that show, and I think their Superman is excellent. Tim Daly has always been my favorite Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    I'm shocked at the lack of love for Superman: The Animated Series! I love that show, and I think their Superman is excellent. Tim Daly has always been my favorite Superman.
    It's inconsistent in characterisation and quality . See, batman doesn't transform as much like superman with his various versions. Amalgamation usually end up with bad to inconsistent superman. Which is the reason animated series rank low. The best part of that superman is darkseid arc and couple of good episodes
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-21-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Superman: The Animated Series and Smallville.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am surprised these many people are fond of smallville. Its a good show. But it doesn't exactly scream superman.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am surprised these many people are fond of smallville. Its a good show. But it doesn't exactly scream superman.
    Grew up watching it, so nostalgia plays a role. And it has the best live action Lois Lane and Lex Luthor I’ve seen. It’s painfully corny and a lot of it doesn’t hold up well but I loved it growing up, and the Smallville Season 11 comic run gives it a great ending.