Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What is your favorite representation of Batman in other media?

The title says it all. What is your favorite representation of Batman outside of comics?

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

1) The Batman animated series of the ninety, because in my opinion those series were able to give us the best Bruce Wayne, the best Gotham city and the best balance among all the various aspects of the Batman's adventures: action, investigation, mystery…

2) The games of the Telltale Series, because they are practically perfect from all points of view and they give us the best Joker, the best Selina Kyle ever and the best interactions between her and Bruce Wayne (always in my opinion); but also Harley Queen was great.

3) The movie Dark Knight, because that Gotham and its characters (above all Joker and Harvey Dent) were so realistic.

4) The TV show of the sixty, because it was so absurd that nobody can hate it.

Maybe I should invert the first two positions.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

BTAS (specifically the earlier seasons on FOX) and the Adam West Batman.

Love the super dark and gritty Batman in the Arkham series.

Probably the arkham games excluding Knight, under the red hood, mask of the phantasm, and nolan's trilogy.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Early BTAS, before they're going Bruce/Babs
    Physically either Bale or Affleck is the closest in looks

Incredible Member

My favorite media interpretation of Batman and the Joker would be as Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's Batman, 1989.

Spectacular Member

My picks are really generic and boring, but I think all four volumes of the animated series (including TNBA), the first two Nolan films, and Arkham Origins are my favorite versions of the overall Batman mythos.

The animated series is awesome. Sure, there are plenty of clunkers, and they never really had a great take on Penguin or Catwoman, but it has some amazing episodes and is endlessly rewatchable. Batman Begins is the best superhero origin movie ever made and is a thrilling, heartwarming film that gets the character so right. Dark Knight is even better, being one of the best movies from the 2000s and still easily one of the best superhero movies ever made. I don't care for Rises as much, but those first two films are awesome adaptations that capture the feel of Batman's world.

Arkham Origins is the best of the Arkham Games for me. It nails the tone of many early Batman stories like Year One, Legends of the Dark Knight, The Man Who Laughs, and the Long Halloween. Roger Craig Smith is an excellent, underrated Batman and Troy Baker is great as a young, Mark Hamill Joker.

Other than that, I enjoyed the Telltale Batman games (even if I was put off by some changes) and Beware the Batman and The Batman were fun cartoons. Plus, Under the Red Hood and the Hush movie were a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    they never really had a great take on Penguin or Catwoman
    What was wrong with Penguin?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    What was wrong with Penguin?
    I always found him to be a pretty generic take on the character. Paul Williams was a good casting choice but he never really got a great episode. He felt like a villain that was just used whenever they needed a villain for an episode that wasn't particularly villain driven, like Blind as a Bat or The Mechanic. Plus, he will always live in the shadow of the Arkham Penguin voiced by Nolan North, who I think was immediately the most interesting version (the Telltale version is awesome too). He just never clicked.

BANNED

Batman has generally been done pretty consistently across the media. He travels well.

1) The DCAU
    -- Batman The Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited, including the DTV movies and Batman Beyond.

2) Batman Arkham Series (by Rocksteady only).
    -- Great Games. Great Story. Great Progression.
    -- Origins is mediocre and not by Rocksteady, so it doesn't count.

3) Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
    -- The most inventive and intelligent cartoon adaptation of Batman since the end of the DCAU.

4) Batman Returns.
    -- Tim Burton's sequel is a really underrated visionary expressionist nightmare of a movie, a fully realized portrayal of his silent-cinema inspired fever dreams. And Michelle Pfeiffer gives a defining performance of the 90s as Catwoman.

5) The Dark Knight
    -- It gets weak in the final section and the movie is overlong but everything with Heath Ledger is deservedly famous and magnificent.

6) Batman '1966
    -- This is still more than 50 years later, a defining vision of Batman. The props, the aesthetics, the music, the sound-effects, the gimmicks, and so on...it's immortal in a way no other Batman adaptation until the Animated Series is.