Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

BTAS. Which I think works better as a stand alone series rather than part of the larger DCAU. I don't think anything will ever touch it.

Nolan movies.

Young Justice. He was a real leader here.

Beware the Batman. This one doesn't get a lot of recognition but it's a great forgotten cartoon.
    Assassinate Putin!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Batman '66 and the Nolan trilogy, tied.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-26-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    My perfect Batman is some amalgamation of Batman: TAS, The Burton Movies at the 60s show.
    This is mine too. I love the atmosphere and visuals of the Burton films; Anton Furst's Gotham is the ONLY Gotham as far as I'm concerned. But I dislike Batman being lethal in those films, so I would prefer the more heroic BTAS Batman in that setting who can slide into a bit of the self aware campiness of Adam West on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    BTAS. Which I think works better as a stand alone series rather than part of the larger DCAU. I don't think anything will ever touch it.
    Yeah the more DCAU Batman becomes integrated into the wider DC universe, the less great he is. Timm's favoritism for him got out of control and he became less likable (though still better than how was depicted in the comics at that time).

I think the DCAU being more sporadic with the rest of the big name players didn't help either. Ideally, a BTAS-style Batman would occupy the same space as an All-Star style Superman and a Rucka/Perez/Marston fusion of Wonder Woman...*retreats into his delusional head canon*

The '90s cartoon is my favorite. Also liked the Beware the Batman cartoon and what I saw of The Batman.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

For young Batman just starting out - the pair of Arkham Origins games. Roger Craig Smith really sells an established but still somewhat raw Batman, and the dynamism in his story for that game, and for its sequel when dealing with Catwoman, is awesome.

For old Batman who’s got a family and some more wounds - Under the Red Hood and Young Justice. Bruce Greenwood is basically a Conroy Batman who’s gotten more weathered without going full Miller, and he has a great rapport with all his sidekicks, allies and family.

Bonus: Characters other than Batman -

Joker - DCAU version. Hamill all the way from BTAS to Beyond. There’s a reason he’s the iconic voice of the Joker.

Catwoman - TellTale Catwoman. The series’ moral ambiguity and choice-heavy storytelling really help her come across as a truly gray character.

Bane - Arkham Origins. He’s got the intelligence, the body size, and the costume good enough that for once I don’t mind an actual luchadore mask.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah the more DCAU Batman becomes integrated into the wider DC universe, the less great he is. Timm's favoritism for him got out of control and he became less likable (though still better than how was depicted in the comics at that time).

I think the DCAU being more sporadic with the rest of the big name players didn't help either. Ideally, a BTAS-style Batman would occupy the same space as an All-Star style Superman and a Rucka/Perez/Marston fusion of Wonder Woman...*retreats into his delusional head canon*
    If it's any consolation, I don't personally consider BTAS to be part of the DCAU.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    […]
    I don't like their version of Joker, but otherwise I think they made some smart choices in the brief Telltale series.
    Maybe this will seems strange to you, but I agree about Joker!
    No, I am not mocking you because I subdivide the Joker's story of the Telltales Series in three part: the part where Joker is hospitalized in Arkham, the part where Joker start to cooperate with the Harley's gang and the part where Joker finally become the villain we know. I really loved the first and the last part, because where Joker was in Arkham, they described very well his lucid and calculating madness, at the same way the final Joker was marvelous, but I didn't like very much the insecure and bullied Joker; even if it that interpretation of Joker was very credible and perfectly functional to the story.

Mighty Member

I'd say the DCAU Batman is my favorite incarnation. In BTAS he seems to be more "caring" in a way and seems more willing to attempt to save some of his enemies (save for Clayface in Mudslide, he literally pulled the plug on Matt) and even can come off as naive (kind of like the 70's and 80's comics), but by TNBA he's more cold and distrustful (which makes sense as we've seen how many false "reform" episodes with some of the rogues gallery?) [more like modern comics]. Sure by the time Justice League came around he was less...likable and they gave him the familiar dose of Bat dickery (as the show-runners definitely favored Batman), but in his own series he was great.

Shoutouts go to some of the other cartoons:
    Brave and the Bold: Just like Adam West he was the straight-man to the absurdity that went on around him (Also he was more of a team player, which made him more fun.)
    Beware the Batman: He was actually a better detective than BTAS, so he deserves a mention

Incredible Member

My favorite media interpretation of Batman and the Joker would be as Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's Batman, 1989.

Spectacular Member

My picks are really generic and boring, but I think all four volumes of the animated series (including TNBA), the first two Nolan films, and Arkham Origins are my favorite versions of the overall Batman mythos.

The animated series is awesome. Sure, there are plenty of clunkers, and they never really had a great take on Penguin or Catwoman, but it has some amazing episodes and is endlessly rewatchable. Batman Begins is the best superhero origin movie ever made and is a thrilling, heartwarming film that gets the character so right. Dark Knight is even better, being one of the best movies from the 2000s and still easily one of the best superhero movies ever made. I don't care for Rises as much, but those first two films are awesome adaptations that capture the feel of Batman's world.

Arkham Origins is the best of the Arkham Games for me. It nails the tone of many early Batman stories like Year One, Legends of the Dark Knight, The Man Who Laughs, and the Long Halloween. Roger Craig Smith is an excellent, underrated Batman and Troy Baker is great as a young, Mark Hamill Joker.

Other than that, I enjoyed the Telltale Batman games (even if I was put off by some changes) and Beware the Batman and The Batman were fun cartoons. Plus, Under the Red Hood and the Hush movie were a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    they never really had a great take on Penguin or Catwoman
    What was wrong with Penguin?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    What was wrong with Penguin?
    I always found him to be a pretty generic take on the character. Paul Williams was a good casting choice but he never really got a great episode. He felt like a villain that was just used whenever they needed a villain for an episode that wasn't particularly villain driven, like Blind as a Bat or The Mechanic. Plus, he will always live in the shadow of the Arkham Penguin voiced by Nolan North, who I think was immediately the most interesting version (the Telltale version is awesome too). He just never clicked.

BANNED

Batman has generally been done pretty consistently across the media. He travels well.

1) The DCAU
    -- Batman The Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited, including the DTV movies and Batman Beyond.

2) Batman Arkham Series (by Rocksteady only).
    -- Great Games. Great Story. Great Progression.
    -- Origins is mediocre and not by Rocksteady, so it doesn't count.

3) Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
    -- The most inventive and intelligent cartoon adaptation of Batman since the end of the DCAU.

4) Batman Returns.
    -- Tim Burton's sequel is a really underrated visionary expressionist nightmare of a movie, a fully realized portrayal of his silent-cinema inspired fever dreams. And Michelle Pfeiffer gives a defining performance of the 90s as Catwoman.

5) The Dark Knight
    -- It gets weak in the final section and the movie is overlong but everything with Heath Ledger is deservedly famous and magnificent.

6) Batman '1966
    -- This is still more than 50 years later, a defining vision of Batman. The props, the aesthetics, the music, the sound-effects, the gimmicks, and so on...it's immortal in a way no other Batman adaptation until the Animated Series is.

Astonishing Member

Batman: The Animated Series. I love that show. When I think of Batman, Batman: The Animated Series. I include Batman: Mask of the Phantasm in that.

Astonishing Member

Honourable mentions to The Dark Knight Trilogy and Batman: Arkham Asylum/Batman: Arkham City.