Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I’m not disagreeing with you that Spencer has had some good stuff in his run. I do like what he’s done since taking the reigns . It’s not easy considering all the damage control he had to take care of. That being said, he’s backed himself into a corner with this Kindred situation. By choosing to have it go on for so long, you’ve peaked the interest of everyone involved and he has to be careful this doesn’t continue for too long. The Kindred situation isn’t at that point yet but it’s definitely getting there. He has to deliver on this. I’m believe he can and have faith that he will.....but as Spider-Man fans know all too well epic disappointment can strike at any moment with this character.
    I will say that Kindred is a big swing for Spencer. He's a very gothic and dark character, sure it talks in slang and all, but it's definitely a character who is very dark, whereas most of Spencer's writing on Spider-Man before and during his run is in a very comedic vein. I mean I can't think of another time when the Spider-Man comics was so funny. A lot of writers balance the serious and comedic stuff (none as well as JMS in my view, on re-reading his run, I was pleased at how hilarious it was) but usually they work in the Roger Stern 'middle mode', which is straight-faced but with some jokes thrown in or going dark.

Whereas with Spencer it's like there's an undercurrent of comedy throughout but behind or beneath it there is this really dark level of secrecy and horror, which is quite interesting.

I think ASM#29 captures the essence of that, because that comic is entirely serious without any jokes. There's a real sense of despair and longing there that Spencer really captured.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I will say that Kindred is a big swing for Spencer. He's a very gothic and dark character, sure it talks in slang and all, but it's definitely a character who is very dark, whereas most of Spencer's writing on Spider-Man before and during his run is in a very comedic vein. I mean I can't think of another time when the Spider-Man comics was so funny. A lot of writers balance the serious and comedic stuff (none as well as JMS in my view, on re-reading his run, I was pleased at how hilarious it was) but usually they work in the Roger Stern 'middle mode', which is straight-faced but with some jokes thrown in or going dark.

Whereas with Spencer it's like there's an undercurrent of comedy throughout but behind or beneath it there is this really dark level of secrecy and horror, which is quite interesting.

I think ASM#29 captures the essence of that, because that comic is entirely serious without any jokes. There's a real sense of despair and longing there that Spencer really captured.
    ASM#29 is one of the best stand alone type issues of Spider-Man I’ve read in a while. Absolutely loved it. That’s what Spencer’s run is missing to me. More issues such as that one. It seems like for a while he was being handcuffed by all these tie in events and as a result the title lost some steam.

BANNED

I’m not disagreeing with you that Spencer has had some good stuff in his run. I do like what he’s done since taking the reigns . It’s not easy considering all the damage control he had to take care of.
    Well, I wouldn't call it "damage control" when you take over from a highly successful run.

I'm sure some Thor fans feel like Donny Cates has had to do damage control when taking over from Aaron but the fact is, Aaron's run was long and successful despite not (to say the least) pleasing some fans, just as with Slott's ASM run.

So in many ways, Spencer's challenge was in having a hard act to follow, not so much in "fixing" anything.

That being said, he’s backed himself into a corner with this Kindred situation. By choosing to have it go on for so long, you’ve peaked the interest of everyone involved and he has to be careful this doesn’t continue for too long. The Kindred situation isn’t at that point yet but it’s definitely getting there. He has to deliver on this.
    I feel confident that he will. This was obviously part of his pitch from the start so he's known from Day 1 who Kindred is and how this reveal will impact Peter's life.

So I'm not worried that he's not going to stick the landing. I mean, anything's possible but I think he's got this.

I've been convinced for awhile that this is going to go into OMD territory and I can't see anyone pulling the trigger on that at this point unless they're very sure of the story they're telling.

BANNED

It seems like for a while he was being handcuffed by all these tie in events and as a result the title lost some steam.
    Yeah, going from the Absolute Carnage tie-ins to 2099 definitely was not great but thankfully the bounce back was immediate!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Well, I wouldn't call it "damage control" when you take over from a highly successful run.

I'm sure some Thor fans feel like Donny Cates has had to do damage control when taking over from Aaron but the fact is, Aaron's run was long and successful despite not (to say the least) pleasing some fans, just as with Slott's ASM run.

So in many ways, Spencer's challenge was in having a hard act to follow, not so much in "fixing" anything.

I feel confident that he will. This was obviously part of his pitch from the start so he's known from Day 1 who Kindred is and how this reveal will impact Peter's life.

So I'm not worried that he's not going to stick the landing. I mean, anything's possible but I think he's got this.

I've been convinced for awhile that this is going to go into OMD territory and I can't see anyone pulling the trigger on that at this point unless they're very sure of the story they're telling.
    I’ve been hoping badly that it does somehow connect to OMD. That would be a ballsy move by Spencer and Marvel. Everything regarding kindred imo seems to be pointing in that direction though.

BANNED

I’ve been hoping badly that it does somehow connect to OMD. That would be a ballsy move by Spencer and Marvel.
    Spencer maybe. Marvel no. There's nothing "ballsy" about s--ting the bed and then cleaning it more than ten years and presenting it as good as new.

Everything regarding kindred imo seems to be pointing in that direction though.
    Perhaps. For me I've given up theorizing over Kindred. I just accept Kindred for what it is, and go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

It's nice when things work out for the best .

As for my own thoughts on Spencer's run so far, overall I do like what I see. There's a lot of humor and great character moments. Indeed, Spencer focuses a lot on character, and quite often not on Pete. Pete gets times to shine, but often the side characters, most notably the villains, get the spotlight (which isn't too far off, considering Spencer's proclivity for exploring the secondary C-list villain). Additionally, Spencer has had some great help with great artists as well.

There are times when the writing falls flat though. It's not overwhelmingly flat. It's still entertaining. But I don't think I'm alone in having moments where I think "Hmmmm, this scene here is kinda boring."

As for this issue, I liked it. It had it's action, but again it had it's humor. My only complaint was when Spencer rushed through the podcast. Yeah, it was clever, cool, and funny when Spencer told how Jameson and Spidey went through this roller coaster of emotions. Just wished he showed it, y'know? Wanted to read what the two said to one another.

Still, I'm digging Spidey and overall enjoyed the issue.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I think what really helps Kindred is, like Green Goblin or Hobgoblin before him, he's just a really fun and well-executed character, with a great design. He could be nobody important, and while that would disappoint a bit story-wise, character-wise it'd be perfectly fine because he's already defined himself as an enjoyable yet menacing threat. I know some people are impatient, but I wouldn't mind if the mystery goes on for a bit longer, at least as long as he gets more appearances because even him just showing up I always love.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He's from way back in the 1980s. Recently read his first appearance in the Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection "Venom," which collected ASM 298-310. He's a gambling mercenary who bets his pay against whether or not he can complete the job he's been hired to do. He completes it, he gets the money. He doesn't, no money for him. It's really the challenge of it he loves.
    Chance's first appearance was in a mid-eighties issue of Web of Spider-Man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think what really helps Kindred is, like Green Goblin or Hobgoblin before him, he's just a really fun and well-executed character, with a great design. He could be nobody important, and while that would disappoint a bit story-wise, character-wise it'd be perfectly fine because he's already defined himself as an enjoyable yet menacing threat. I know some people are impatient, but I wouldn't mind if the mystery goes on for a bit longer, at least as long as he gets more appearances because even him just showing up I always love.
    No way that having Kindred be nobody important works in this case.

Yes, he's a cool, well-designed menace but his identity is going to have to matter in the end.

The Green Goblin remains the number #1 guy in Spidey's rogue gallery in part because his reveal and his personal connection to Peter worked.

On the other hand, as popular as the Hobgoblin was prior to his unmasking, he never reclaimed that same status afterwards because the unmasking was so botched and the reveal so unsatisfying.

So there's a lot riding on the Kindred reveal. It can make the difference between him (or her!) becoming enshrined as a permanent fixture in Spidey's rogue gallery or becoming just another villain that ends up fading into the mix.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Chance's first appearance was in a mid-eighties issue of Web of Spider-Man
    I stand corrected, then. Thanks. (Sincerely intended.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spencer's run is nice stories in a vacuum that together as an ongoing have no momentum as we slowly slog to the details we want about the book's most interesting character as we continue to be baited with teases that may finally pay off after 2 years and nearly $200 of our dollars.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Spencer's run is nice stories in a vacuum that together as an ongoing have no momentum as we slowly slog to the details we want about the book's most interesting character as we continue to be baited with teases that may finally pay off after 2 years and nearly $200 of our dollars.
    I agree. If we can get the teasers to pay off, I’ll be happy with the run. Aside from Hunted, though, there’s not really been a big enough story. After Kindred, will it back to mini stories with Jonah or Boomerang?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I agree. If we can get the teasers to pay off, I’ll be happy with the run. Aside from Hunted, though, there’s not really been a big enough story. After Kindred, will it back to mini stories with Jonah or Boomerang?
    I suspect that after the Kindred reveal, the book changes and takes on a different, slightly heavier, tone. Like I said earlier, I don't think we've even gotten to the meat of this run yet. Kindred is going to have a major impact.